Whipping Boy - Heartworm (1995) (1 Viewer)

I gave this a listen a while ago again and while I really love the tracks that are great - which is the first few - it kind of dips on quality after that. Those first few songs are amazing though and When We Were Young is one of my favourite songs by any Irish band ever. So I'll probably buy the reissue.

I am listening to this for maybe the first time ever, beyond a few songs here and there.

Wonderwall is pretty much a rip off of Tripped?

Anyway, it sounds nothing like Fontaines DC, what are yiz like.

Hmm, that was alright. It's kind of awkwardly placed somewhere in between Britpop and Smashing Pumpkins-y US alt-rock? Much like Ireland I guess.

There's definitely something there that raises it above the usual mid 90s alsorans but it's hard to glimpse it behind all that woeful "tasteful" 90s production.

That's my one listen review. I'll be back in a few years after my third listen with a final rating. @scutter hang in there.

WHIPPING BOY

Heartworm

THE NEW REISSUE FROM NEEDLE MYTHOLOGY
RELEASED ON DOUBLE LP / DOUBLE CD

3rd SEPTEMBER 2021

“In a more just world, When We Were Young would be up there
in the canon with Come On Eileen and American Pie,
a bittersweet memorial to simpler times whose poignancy grows
exponentially with every passing year” - Pete Paphides, Needle Mythology

“It’s one of the finest albums, and easily the most unsettling,
in the grand history of Irish popular music” - Colm O'Callaghan

Heartworm was the second album by the Dublin band Whipping Boy, originally released to critical acclaim in 1995. The album is now regarded as a lost classic and was voted the 4th best Irish album of all time by The Irish Times and the 7th by Hot Press.

This new edition of the album on the Needle Mythology label features a remaster of the album by Sean Magee at Abbey Road, a second record / CD of B-sides, two previously unreleased demos and live tracks, along with sleeve notes by Colm O’Callaghan. The original vinyl of Heartworm has been out of print for over 25 years and regularly changes hands for hundreds of pounds.

In May 1996, Needle Mythology founder Pete Paphides, who at that point was writing for Time Out, saw Whipping Boy play at late lamented Astoria in London “It was one of the most exhilarating gigs I’ve ever seen in my life. And, as it happens, one of the most heartbreaking ones. Whipping Boy’s second album Heartworm had been out a few months now, just enough to have allowed a deep obsession to take root. It was a record I evangelised about to anyone who was willing to listen. More so for the fact that in 1996, it was hard to see where this record was going to fit in. Which perhaps explains why, as the four members of Whipping Boy plugged in their instruments at the London Astoria, the venue was at best half-full.”

Pete has spent two and a half decades telling anyone who will listen about that night and the magic of Heartworm “It was exhilarating – but also heartbreaking. Heartbreaking because you know that when a band who is signed to a major label plays to a half-empty venue in London – it won’t go unnoticed by their paymasters. Certainly not, at any rate, when none of the singles from the record they’re promoting manage to scrape the Top 40. But those of us who were listening didn’t forget. We told our friends. And they told their friends. And the reputation of this magnificent album grew and grew, to the point where younger artists such as Fontaines D.C. were citing it as one of the greatest albums of the past 30 years – a view ratified by a poll in the Irish Times last year which ranked Heartworm as the fourth greatest Irish album of all time. Alas, this was all too late to stop Whipping Boy from dissolving. But it’s not too late for Heartworm to assume its rightful position in the canon.”

With the Needle Mythology edition of Heartworm being released on 3rd September, a whole new audience will tell their friends who will tell their friends about a classic album that was simply not of its time.

WHIPPING BOY - Heartworm LP (NEMYLP009)
Heavyweight vinyl pressing (@ Vinyl Factory)

Side One
Twinkle
When We Were Young
Tripped
The Honeymoon Is Over
We Don’t Need Nobody Else

Side Two
Blinded
Personality
Users
Fiction
Morning Rise

Side Three
When We Were Young (Philo Version)
I Am God (Demo of Fiction)
Magnolia (Demo of Blinded)
Caroline Says II
Tripped (Live)

Side Four
We Don’t Need Nobody Else (Acoustic Version)
Disappointed
Twinkle (Acoustic Version)
As The Day Goes
A Natural

WHIPPING BOY - Heartworm CD (NEMYCD009)
The CD comes with an 20-page colour booklet.

CD1
Twinkle
When We Were Young
Tripped
The Honeymoon Is Over
We Don’t Need Nobody Else
Blinded
Personality
Users
Fiction
Morning Rise

CD2
B-Sides And Demos

When We Were Young (Philo Version)
I Am God
Magnolia
Caroline Says II
Tripped (Live)
We Don’t Need Nobody Else (Acoustic Version)
Disappointed
Twinkle (Acoustic Version)
As The Day Goes
A Natural

RELEASED ON NEEDLE MYTHOLOGY
3rd SEPTEMBER 2021

PRE-ORDER HERE

Saw them in 2006 I THINK

it was the same night as the thumped Xmas do with Possibly the redneck manifesto playing IIRC. amazing show
If that was in the Olympia, it was 2005. I was there too and it was around Christmas. It was a few months before I moved permanently but I flew over because I wanted to go to that gig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back