Jaysus cycling! (9 Viewers)

Sure they are - you need the right kind of a bell that allows for a loud ring and a soft ring, and its the cyclists job to learn how to use the thing. Give me a polite ring every time over some clown talking over my shoulder.
I've got one of these,

1603753129769.png

It's decent, I use it all the time. I'm on my second one because I reefed the arm thing off it because I was constantly putting the bike on my shoulder and it caught on my jacket or something.

It just makes the one sound, you can kind of modulate the volume a bit, but it's a nice bright ping.

And then I usually follow that up with a friendly "get out of my fucking way you absolute CUNT", as I'm vigorously flipping them off as I brush uncomfortably close past them.

I've got one of these,

View attachment 14390

It's decent, I use it all the time. I'm on my second one because I reefed the arm thing off it because I was constantly putting the bike on my shoulder and it caught on my jacket or something.

It just makes the one sound, you can kind of modulate the volume a bit, but it's a nice bright ping.

And then I usually follow that up with a friendly "get out of my fucking way you absolute CUNT", as I'm vigorously flipping them off as I brush uncomfortably close past them.
I have the very same! Mine's silver You know you can reorder the arm separately if you lose it, as I also did? I find you can really measure the volume of that bell. Love it.

I have the very same! Mine's silver You know you can reorder the arm separately if you lose it, as I also did? I find you can really measure the volume of that bell. Love it.

I have the black one. Because once you go black, your bell never goes back.

edit - i ididn't know you could just order parts for the bell though. I'll keep that in mind. When I broke it, I went straight out and bought another one, which speaks to the bell I think. It's decent.

Last edited:
looks mad

Yeah. I noticed the way infuriatingly ugly way Evenepoel and a few of the lads had their bikes set up, and when I was out riding I realised that that's actually how my body works. Like, the way my shoulders line up my arms and wrists is the way that Remco set things up. It bugged me the whole ride. I was twisting out my arms to ride in the hoods, pointing my thumbs up and forwards. If I just put my arms out in front of my and relaxed, my thumbs do not point straight forward, they point in a bit.

Last night Then I tweaked them in a little, sat on the bike, and it felt better. Then I tweaked them a bit more, and it felt better, and I kept going until things were getting ridiculous, and I left it at that angle.

And THEN I realised that because they are in like that, if you to rest your forearm onto the bars, and use the hoods like extensions almost, the hoods just sit under your hands more naturally. So I turned the whole bar up a little to help with that. The photo makes them look higher than they really are, but now they're in a position to be used almost like those weird tiny bar extensions the UCI banned a while back.

That sounds like something i should do.

I didn't even touch the tape on the bars or anything, just slackened the bolt that holds the hoods in place and kind of wriggled them until the cable housing seemed to be happy.

So you could try it for one ride, see if it annoys you, and put them back straight again if you don't like it.

Yeah. I noticed the way infuriatingly ugly way Evenepoel and a few of the lads had their bikes set up, and when I was out riding I realised that that's actually how my body works. Like, the way my shoulders line up my arms and wrists is the way that Remco set things up. It bugged me the whole ride. I was twisting out my arms to ride in the hoods, pointing my thumbs up and forwards. If I just put my arms out in front of my and relaxed, my thumbs do not point straight forward, they point in a bit.

Last night Then I tweaked them in a little, sat on the bike, and it felt better. Then I tweaked them a bit more, and it felt better, and I kept going until things were getting ridiculous, and I left it at that angle.

And THEN I realised that because they are in like that, if you to rest your forearm onto the bars, and use the hoods like extensions almost, the hoods just sit under your hands more naturally. So I turned the whole bar up a little to help with that. The photo makes them look higher than they really are, but now they're in a position to be used almost like those weird tiny bar extensions the UCI banned a while back.
almost all the cycling I'm doing at the moment is on a turbo, cos of the lockdown and the shite weather. One thing about the turbo is, when you don't have the distraction of traffic or nice scenery, you really become aware of how different parts of your body hurt when you cycle. I've noticed it around the thumbs alright, so this is deffo something I should try.

Also Evenepoel was on zwift yesterday morning when I was on. I thought it was only the pills that had him flying around the place with no one else able to keep up. I guess the handlebars helped too.

Is that your commuter bike, btw? Love the old-school alloy looking frames. Probably heavy tho?
Nah, the commuter is a steel fixed gear I built up from a colour sample frame I got on ebay or something. I have to leave the commuter out in the streets, in NYC etc, for years. It needed to be bombproof.

This is a bike I used to race! I'm that old. I brought it over here for the laugh, and picked up a new groupset for it because all the old stuff had the bollix worn out of it. I'll be taking it back with me too. It's one of the Cannondales that are so old they were still building them in the US.

cannondale are still making highly respected alu frames remember. i considered a CAAD12 a few years ago but decided against it cos of the racy geometry. wanted something a bit more relaxed, and got a genesis equilibrium.

flashback, re the bars, i think i should be a 42 based on my shoulder width but seem to prefer 40cm. i know one or two people who much prefer going narrow, though one or two of them are ex track cyclists and i think that's where their preference stems from.

@magicbastarder
The general rule I was told, and it still seems to be in effect, is make your bars as narrow as you can make them. So if you're ok with 40cm, they'd be the ones that I'd go for. I have pretty wide shoulders, and long arms proportionately, so I'm squeezing a tiny bit to fit on 42s. Or at least I was, I haven't messed around with diff setups since I was working in bike shops, which is a very long time ago.

The detail in 5 is amazing. Only one front fork, and the rear stay is the opposite side. And that seat stay that seems to go nowhere is fantastic. I can't imagine it would be the steadiest steed around, but it looks great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back