General election 2020 (1 Viewer)

I presume they voted to seal the records in return for some concession on "green" stuff from FF/FG. This is how politics works, as far as I understand it

I don't think I want to think about the kind of people who think a concession on some green stuff is worth more than the women and children abused and killed here, It's fucking disgusting.

Everyone having a rager about it all right. Here's a measured enough explanation. It's not a binary perfect, which i think is what twitter wants today.

a concession on some green stuff is worth more than the women and children abused and killed here
I don't really get how you're getting "worth more than" part. If it's a choice between having a chance to fix the climate crisis and releasing information about some awful shit that happened 60 years ago then I don't see how it's disgusting to choose the former

Oh also I'm pretty sure the twitters are asking for data that was given in confidence of not being public being made public so there is that side too. I'm not taking a side btw here, i'm adding information.

Why they can't do both is beyond me.

Everyone having a rager about it all right. Here's a measured enough explanation. It's not a binary perfect, which i think is what twitter wants today.

The Journal's piece is a fairly comprehensive rebuttal to everything the government have been saying, including Roderic

I imagine they're gonna dig in and not move on it though.

Anyway, clearly Fine Gael and Fianna Fail voters don't care, the Greens are the smallest part of the government and are of course taking all the flak.

To recap: The Minister described advice given by an unspecified AG on an unknown year (which may or may not be from before the coming into force of the GDPR) which said that an Irish law can prohibit an EU right, despite it limiting a different repealed law, based on a non existent restriction clause, which would anyway require a series of protections which it doesn’t have to be valid.

I don't really get how you're getting "worth more than" part. If it's a choice between having a chance to fix the climate crisis and releasing information about some awful shit that happened 60 years ago then I don't see how it's disgusting to choose the former
So all three parties have pretty shit reputations for acting on the climate change, given how small a stake the Greens have in the government I can't see the other two giving them much concession in return for this or the greens even asking for anything substantial. I don't think they're any more to blame than the other two parties who are much more involved through the whole thing to this day. I'm mostly taking issue with your defending them in return for some sort of concession. The fact that the Church still has such a huge influence on maternity hospitals in this country to me shows that this is a current issue that needs to be dealt with and not buried for 30 years and certainly not something that happened 60 years ago that we should forget about in return for some piecemeal action on climate. That's enough from me anyhow gonna get o with my day.

The Journal's piece is a fairly comprehensive rebuttal to everything the government have been saying, including Roderic

Have you actually read all that? I just tried to and got lost after about three paragraphs so you're a better man than me if you have done so and can verify that it is indeed a 'comprehensive rebuttal'.

As far as I can make out there are two narratives here:

O'Gorman - the legislation we have enacted will avoid us having to seal the archive for 30 years.
Most of Twitter - the legislation you have enacted will result in you having to seal the archive for 30 years.

Both can't be true. Which is it?

So..... What happened?
from what little i've read, the latest bill is required to prevent the records falling foul of a *previous* bill, and (on the face of it) the greens seem to be sincere in what they're doing:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

but the talk from legal types on twitter suggests the legal advice they're operating from is duff:

Have you actually read all that? I just tried to and got lost after about three paragraphs so you're a better man than me if you have done so and can verify that it is indeed a 'comprehensive rebuttal'.

As far as I can make out there are two narratives here:

O'Gorman - the legislation we have enacted will avoid us having to seal the archive for 30 years.
Most of Twitter - the legislation you have enacted will result in you having to seal the archive for 30 years.

Both can't be true. Which is it?
I have indeed and found it very difficult also.

I suspect that O'Gorman isn't an expert on this stuff so is repeating the summaries he has been given himself, while the lawyer here is able to tear apart what he is being told.

I have no idea if this is down to simple misunderstandings or if certain groups are being protected design or by secret handshake, and a Trump/Johnson-style bluster of "if we keep giving varying responses everyone will spend so much time fact-checking us that the public will lose interest" is going on.

Last edited:
from what little i've read, the latest bill is required to prevent the records falling foul of a *previous* bill, and (on the face of it) the greens seem to be sincere in what they're doing:

but the talk from legal types on twitter suggests the legal advice they're operating from is duff:

Cheers. So it's a good deal more complicated than anyone here would likely be able to figure out but we'll make sure to pick our pre-ordained side anyways. Gotcha.

See Pete's link a few posts back that I've quoted above.

what's that phrase - 'the unreasonable man adapts the world to fit him, and the reasonable man adapts himself to fit the world'?
are the greens being too reasonable? the 'we can't go against what the AG says because we assume he knows better than us'

Really? Who do people think are getting protected?
I'm saying I don't know.

Maybe no one, or no one precisely, but considering how the church has behaved in Ireland over the past 100 years, and how they have refused to pay when ordered to do so, and the power they still wield whether in schools, hospitals or simply land ownership, there's a fair chance that certain machinations were set in place to ensure that details of anyone living, or any politician supporting them, or any major abuses that were known about but ignored, are not released in their lifetime.

I see no vast conspiracy here, just power protecting itself, as should be expected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back