Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (18 Viewers)

You know those face visor things. The ones that I've seen described many times as being "worse than useless." Why hasn't there been strong messaging to discourage their use/educate on better options?
If for medical reasons you can't wear a mask but still need to be near other people for reasons, i suppose they might protect you from a direct cough to the face or something? Not sure how effective they are on some lad stacking the shelves in Tesco or scooping ice creams down at ben & jerrys though.

Which reminds me, I saw one a couple of days ago that i could only describe as a... transparent chin visor? it was like 1/5th the length of one of the visors, but upsidedown and attached on the chin? it reached up to about nostril-level, but was completely open to the elements. This was on a security guard in the blanch centre.

Who would have thought that an economy built on banking and big tech jobs that can all just work from home would suffer less from lockdown restrictions? It's almost as if Leo is just lying to everybody.

That's mad isn't it? The entire tourism/hospitality/performance sector destroyed, and it hardly moves the needle on GDP. I'm not sure if this means that tourism/hospitality aren't as destroyed as I thought, or if GDP is just a total load of bollocks.

Also, here's a weird one - I had expected Airbnb in Dublin to collapse, and therefore rents to go down, and I seem to remember reading articles about rents going down early in the summer, but anecdotally I'm hearing people still talking about high rents. Anyone know what's going on?

Oh look even these guys are puzzled Irish Housing Market Report - July 2020 | Daft.ie

"Rental supply in Dublin was up 92% on August 1st" but rents have actually risen over the summer. The daft fella thinks is because there was such a massive undersupply of rental accommodation in Dublin. Mad

(of course the other explanation is that economics itself is a load of bollocks, and doesn't explain anything at all and well yeah maybe that's true too)

That's mad isn't it? The entire tourism/hospitality/performance sector destroyed, and it hardly moves the needle on GDP. I'm not sure if this means that tourism/hospitality aren't as destroyed as I thought, or if GDP is just a total load of bollocks.

Also, here's a weird one - I had expected Airbnb in Dublin to collapse, and therefore rents to go down, and I seem to remember reading articles about rents going down early in the summer, but anecdotally I'm hearing people still talking about high rents. Anyone know what's going on?

GDP as relates to Ireland is bullshit because we just have loads of money flowing though the economy via banking and tech but very little of that is felt by the real economy. In fact they had to come up with some alternative figure some years ago that discounted that money because IIRC our GDP per capita was something similar to Qatar.

Oh look even these guys are puzzled Irish Housing Market Report - July 2020 | Daft.ie

"Rental supply in Dublin was up 92% on August 1st" but rents have actually risen over the summer. The daft fella thinks is because there was such a massive undersupply of rental accommodation in Dublin. Mad

(of course the other explanation is that economics itself is a load of bollocks, and doesn't explain anything at all and well yeah maybe that's true too)

there's a constant stream of ex-AirBNB rental apartments in Dublin city centre landing on Daft (or at lease there was) and almost all of them are/were looking for stupid high rents.

I think tourism and that is more important for jobs than it is for GDP. Most of Ireland's money is in big finance and tech now, and arguably big pharma. All sectors that are pretty unaffected by the pandemic, because the majority of people can work from home etc. (in pharma case as far as I know they mostly all just go in to work anyway).

Rents dipped a little bit between March-May, when a lot of people left due to the pandemic, but then 'stabilised' during the Summer as more people started coming back after lockdowns were over. And yeah the housing crisis in Dublin is so bad that even a load of students etc. leaving for a few months didn't have that huge an effect on it, I would say that it probably just led to a lot of people moving from total shitholes sharing bedrooms with 6 others to having their own rooms in a house instead.
The bunk-bedroom is the way to look at it really, if you have a large number of for instance 4 people in one room shithole accommodation, as Dublin does, then actually the demand for places to rent is probably 4 times higher than it's even been made out to be by the likes of daft.

there's a constant stream of ex-AirBNB rental apartments in Dublin city centre landing on Daft (or at lease there was) and almost all of them are/were looking for stupid high rents.

Probably the stupid high rents they are looking for might still be like €100 cheaper then the stupid high rent the people living next door are paying for their place, kind of thing. Sure it was only a few days ago that the papers were reporting that you could now book a room in a hotel for a month and still pay less than rent in a lot of Dublin.

GDP as relates to Ireland is bullshit because we just have loads of money flowing though the economy via banking and tech but very little of that is felt by the real economy. In fact they had to come up with some alternative figure some years ago that discounted that money because IIRC our GDP per capita was something similar to Qatar.

GNP, ah the memories of Bertie going around the world explaining it to everyone. Didn't realise it was still a thing.

Which reminds me, I saw one a couple of days ago that i could only describe as a... transparent chin visor? it was like 1/5th the length of one of the visors, but upsidedown and attached on the chin? it reached up to about nostril-level, but was completely open to the elements. This was on a security guard in the blanch centre.
yep, reminds me of some fish like lads on STTNG who had the very same thing.

They can raise rents by 4% a year, so they do, every year.

You know those face visor things. The ones that I've seen described many times as being "worse than useless." Why hasn't there been strong messaging to discourage their use/educate on better options?
Former head of the HSE was on the radio earlier saying they need to be banned as they're absolutely useless. Said fine if you feel you need to, but only if you wear a mask as well

Former head of the HSE was on the radio earlier saying they need to be banned as they're absolutely useless. Said fine if you feel you need to, but only if you wear a mask as well

Unsurprisingly Mattie McGrath was clutching one earlier when besmirching a man who went off to look after his wife.

Giuliani has obviously caught it. I remember when he used to get a huge round of applause on Letterman, even before everyone thought he was a hero after 9-11. Quite a shame that he's still fucking around the place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back