Racism in Ireland (1 Viewer)

Maybe I just dress better now. I suppose people still get shouted at in the street for having long hair.

Systemic racism, to me anyway, is not that there are overt examples of different races being treated differently (direct provision) but that the system does not change to accommodate the underlying changes in society.

How many black or Asian Gardaí have you seen? How much of the Dáil or the Seanad is made up of different ethnicities? How diverse is third level education? Why do doctors rate black patients’ reports of pain as less serious as white patients? Why are all psychological tests used to access disability and educational resources based on white populations who speak English?

The system is gamed towards being white, “even” in Ireland.

And @ann post, I don’t think anyone wants an English syllabus that is entirely made up of English writers but based on the list provided earlier in the thread:
ACHEBE, Chinua Things Fall Apart
ALMOND, David The Savage
AUSTEN, Jane Sense and Sensibility
BLACKMAN, Malorie Noughts and Crosses
CONNOLLY, John The Book of Lost Things
CROSSAN, Sarah The Weight of Water
DOWD, Siobhan Bog Child
GLEITZMAN, Morris Once
GOLDING, William Lord of the Flies
HINTON, S.E. The Outsider
KIERNAN, Celine Into the Grey
LEE, Harper To Kill a Mockingbird
MULLIGAN, Andy Trash
ORWELL, George Animal Farm
SCOTT CARD, Orson Ender’s Game
SEPETYS, Ruta Between Shades of Grey
STEINBECK, John Of Mice and Men
STEVENSON, Robert Louis The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
SWINDELLS, Robert Stone Cold
TAMAKI Mariko and Jillian This One Summer (graphic novel)
Irish authors make up about 17.5 versus 32.5% English authors of the list (percentages as some authors identify as dual nationality). For drama, Irish writers make up 46 versus 38 % for English writers. This is not taking into account poetry (teacher decides) nor any Irish writers taught on the Irish course. We could have more Irish writers on there (there’s no canon Irish writers like Beckett, Joyce, or Stoker, and I imagine Yeats gets covered in poetry), along with better representation from new communities in Ireland (there are two Nigerian writers and one Lithuanian/American writer). There are other perspectives there including Australian, Bajan/English, and Japanese/Canadian - and these are important too.

systemic racism = the department of social welfare making every traveller sign on at 11:30am on a thursday morning because they're all making multiple fraudulent claims in different offices and sure it's the only way to stop them, they're all at it. This was the case up until the mid 1990s.

racism = most of the people seeing this complaining about the way "the kn*ckers" would rush in and push each other out of their way to get to the top of the queue and not line up like "normal" people

the problem = people not making the connection between the former and the latter

systemic racism = the department of social welfare making every traveller sign on at 11:30am on a thursday morning because they're all making multiple fraudulent claims in different offices and sure it's the only way to stop them, they're all at it - which was the case up until the mid 1990s

racism = most of the people seeing this complaining about the way "the kn*ckers" would rush in and push each other out of their way to get to the top of the queue and not line up like "normal" people

the problem = people not making the connection between the former and the latter
I never knew any of that. Also, the complete lack of Travellers in my posts above highlight an obvious lack of their representation not only in the system but even in my thoughts (as a woke white guy) in faulting that system.

I never knew any of that. Also, the complete lack of Travellers in my posts above highlight an obvious lack of their representation not only in the system but even in my thoughts (as a woke white guy) in faulting that system.
It was pretty depressing.

And in a shocking development, after the rules changed and they were “integrated” with everyone else, they’d come in and... queue up like everyone else.

My dad was a Social Welfare officer (or whatever the equivalent was) in the 70s and (maybe?) 80s and one should not get him started on stories of Traveller's making fraudulent claims.

My dad was a Social Welfare officer (or whatever the equivalent was) in the 70s and (maybe?) 80s and one should not get him started on stories of Traveller's making fraudulent claims.
Oh it was rife - anecdotally at least - but so was working and signing and nobody applied anything like the same type of policy to handle that.

Oh it was rife - anecdotally at least - but so was working and signing and nobody applied anything like the same type of policy to handle that.
I don't think he's lying, if i was treated like shit by a society not set up to acknowledge me I'd take whatever small openings i could as well.

as mentioned previously the media is dominated by white Irish middle to upper middle class view points.

so the lack of women in Dail gets plenty of attention but the fact only a few POC or immigrants
even ran for election got very little comment from journalists.

International Women's Day is similar - the voices of working class women who do labouring
work are almost never heard.
it's the same cabal of people from the media, politics, culture, business who are granted the privilege.

and on the hundredth anniversary of Universal suffrage it got little mention that over 3 million
men who were - young war veterans, men under 30 or not heads of a household were also given
voting rights at the same time as women over 30.

the people who take jobs off women or POC in high skill, high powered careers aren't just
men; they are specifically upper middle class white men.

in the USA black people seem to be considered as one large ethnic group as do white folks.
this doesn't really translate to Ireland at the moment in my opinion.
East European folks often do the grunt work here, they have little representation in the media,
and I don't know of anyone from there having made a fortune here.
however when the next generation grows up here they can assimilate much more easily than a POC.

yesterday three weeks into the Tour de France bike race on the final day the sole black rider competing
(Kevin Reza from Paris) got enough support to finally made a BLM protest with the race having
until then done nothing for BLM.
Kevin has suffered racist abuse from a fellow pro and it wasn't dealt with well IMO.

as a white Irish male i've never had anyone discriminate against me because of my nationality, skin
colour, religion and as an adult i've never experienced any sexism worth mentioning.
few people are that lucky.

as a white Irish male i've never had anyone discriminate against me because of my nationality
If you go to the right places you can probably experience this :)

... but worst of all would be getting discriminated against for your ethnicity someplace that's actually home, and has been for generations. That's what black people in the US (and travellers here) put up with.

I was just thinking about the whole TKAMB thing
as mentioned previously the media is dominated by white Irish middle to upper middle class view points.

so the lack of women in Dail gets plenty of attention but the fact only a few POC or immigrants
even ran for election got very little comment from journalists.

International Women's Day is similar - the voices of working class women who do labouring
work are almost never heard.
it's the same cabal of people from the media, politics, culture, business who are granted the privilege.

and on the hundredth anniversary of Universal suffrage it got little mention that over 3 million
men who were - young war veterans, men under 30 or not heads of a household were also given
voting rights at the same time as women over 30.

the people who take jobs off women or POC in high skill, high powered careers aren't just
men; they are specifically upper middle class white men.

in the USA black people seem to be considered as one large ethnic group as do white folks.
this doesn't really translate to Ireland at the moment in my opinion.
East European folks often do the grunt work here, they have little representation in the media,
and I don't know of anyone from there having made a fortune here.
however when the next generation grows up here they can assimilate much more easily than a POC.

yesterday three weeks into the Tour de France bike race on the final day the sole black rider competing
(Kevin Reza from Paris) got enough support to finally made a BLM protest with the race having
until then done nothing for BLM.
Kevin has suffered racist abuse from a fellow pro and it wasn't dealt with well IMO.

as a white Irish male i've never had anyone discriminate against me because of my nationality, skin
colour, religion and as an adult i've never experienced any sexism worth mentioning.
few people are that lucky.

I'm just thinking about this post in relation to the whole TKAMB controversy. Somebody mentioned Across the Barricades, probably rather flippantly, in relation to literature studied in the Junior Cert. That book was removed from the curriculum years ago, I'm assuming by the DOE and I'm assuming because it seemed outdated, and there was no fuss. Currently we're having people asking for TKAMB to be taken off the syllabus for not entirely different reasons. Would it be fair to say that it's not the reason for removing the text from the curriculum that some people have a problem with, that it might be with the people making the complaint.

systemic racism = the department of social welfare making every traveller sign on at 11:30am on a thursday morning because they're all making multiple fraudulent claims in different offices and sure it's the only way to stop them, they're all at it. This was the case up until the mid 1990s.

I worked in Welfare for a good few years. I remember somebody who worked in one of the dole offices telling the "hilarious" story about how one of her work mates used to shout really loudly while travellers were queueing up on that day "I hear they're inventing a new shampoo for travellers, it's called Go and Wash"

So, if that's what you're facing from a public servant who's meant to be helping you, I honestly don't blame them for being rightly pissed off.

I'm just thinking about this post in relation to the whole TKAMB controversy. Somebody mentioned Across the Barricades, probably rather flippantly, in relation to literature studied in the Junior Cert. That book was removed from the curriculum years ago, I'm assuming by the DOE and I'm assuming because it seemed outdated, and there was no fuss. Currently we're having people asking for TKAMB to be taken off the syllabus for not entirely different reasons. Would it be fair to say that it's not the reason for removing the text from the curriculum that some people have a problem with, that it might be with the people making the complaint.
The culture war we've imported from the USA basically? THOSE ESS JAYY DOUBLE YOUZ

I'm just thinking about this post in relation to the whole TKAMB controversy. Somebody mentioned Across the Barricades, probably rather flippantly, in relation to literature studied in the Junior Cert.
I had to read this twice to figure out what Spandau Ballet had to with the school curriculum

Oh, by the way it turns out "True" was written about Clare Grogan. But I don't think that is relevant to his thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back