Racism in Ireland (3 Viewers)

Probably the wrong thread, but what is going on with these antifa clashes with others groups in Dublin lately.
What's it about?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Someone said there was racist graffiti on the Ha'penny Bridge this morning. Did any of you see it?

Probably the wrong thread, but what is going on with these antifa clashes with others groups in Dublin lately.
What's it about?

The comments on this...

there's a good bit on twitter about the supposed plans to remove 'to kill a mockingbird' from the JC syllabus, with lots of white people outraged that black people may not appreciate a powerful book on racism. i think. hard to tell anymore.

there's a good bit on twitter about the supposed plans to remove 'to kill a mockingbird' from the JC syllabus, with lots of white people outraged that black people may not appreciate a powerful book on racism. i think. hard to tell anymore.

Yeah I got challenged with 'censorship/ sanitising art and music too? Etc etc

And my response to such a tweet was along the lines of
'maybe we should hear what some black people have to say about it/ Growing up being called that word and then it's in your curriculum would be shit / check your privilege' type comment.
and no response

Yeah I got challenged with 'censorship/ sanitising art and music too? Etc etc

And my response to such a tweet was along the lines of
'maybe we should hear what some black people have to say about it/ Growing up being called that word and then it's in your curriculum would be shit / check your privilege' type comment.
and no response

also there's nothin stopping school kids taking it out of the library.
it's just the curriculum we are talking about

Lots of people repeating the same phrases over and over and over. "Censorship!" "Privilege!"

What's it about?

You mean fascists clashing with other groups around the city? It's fucked and we should all be standing up against them.

I'd very much take the teacher's side on this one.

Actually, I just listened to it. Probably wouldn't take the teacher's side on this one. I think he's actually obfuscating the issue by talking about censorship and what happened in 1950s Ireland. The 2 things aren't the same here at all. In 1950s Ireland, you had a large powerful organisation, the church, actually banning and censoring films and books. And that practice continued up until the 1990s. Nirvana and REM had videos banned from Irish TV back then due to their blasphemous content.
What people asking for here is an update of text on the Junior Cert Syllabus to better reflect the times that we live in, it's not the same thing at all. No one's asking for these books to be banned or removed from the shelves. It's a relatively similar issue to what's happening in American Colleges. People have requested that more authors of colour be studied, and people are going nuts about it because it's almost being deemed sacreligious that someone would dare change the syllabus, as if the syllabus was a sacred document handed down from God. Rather than a collection of books that the head of faculty that is open to change at any time.

yeah, i had heard TKAM described several times as 'a book about racism for white people' and find that hard to fault. while it's no doubt a good book, it's a book about racism told from the perspective of a white person, with a 'white saviour' myth included.

it was funny that all the people i saw arguing on twitter about it, with the 'this is an incredibly powerful book on racism and it'd be a retrograde step to ban it' argument, were all white.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back