Jaysus cycling! (3 Viewers)

It's pretty crazy when you think about the effort though.

I'm not sure I've ever done a >7 hour ride, and if I have it's been a sitting in at 200 watts touring along jobbie. The idea of doing interval sprints for SEVEN hours is unreal.

That ride he did has that savage kick at the back of the climb, I can't tell exactly but it looks like he's able to ride up that kick at the end staying aerobic.

Even focusing... seven hours, you can't make any mistakes. Drift off for a moment on the descent and touch the gravel on the side of the road? Toast.

Even the wear on the brake pads... he's coming off that thing like a rocket, nailing the brakes to be able to get in that U turn. I guess he's probably only weighing something in the 60 kilo range... but it's all fairly tough stuff.

yeah, I'd naturally assume hes juiced off his had

Nah. I mean, I'd doubt it? Who knows I suppose.

The only thing that would be useful and affordable would be a course of corticosteroids maybe. But often that gives you the skin resting on veins resting on muscle fibers look. He's skinny but he's not mutant skinny.

I've no idea. I'd be surprised though. He's not winning a contract or anything here. He's not even running a youtube channel or trying to monetize it. He just seems like a lad who's been riding forever and likes challenges. Who knows.

when i heard he'd done the mamore gap a few weeks ago, i at first assumed he'd done the northern side. but you'd be mad to do that, it's lumpy with hairpins thrown in too.
i'd watched a couple of vids by phil gaimon on the topic, and he'd calculated that 13% was optimal for a pro, but was talking about much longer segments than mclaughlin tackled there.

7hrs is nuts, i did maybe 2 hrs in spain before, nothing near the hill he was on.
I would say though being from Donegal, climbing hills is kinda all you ever do on a bike. Like big fuckoff low ratio hills, none of your flood plains stuff. He could just be bred into it.

A mate of mine got passed by The Kelly on Wicklow gap. Just cruising up the bastard, sat in the big ring (53 obvs), perched up on top of the bars.

Mumbled something on the way past.

That McLaughlin chap is exceptionally nice though, right? I'm as straight as the next (gay) guy, but definite man crush going on there.

There was a McLaughlin racing a very long time ago when I was racing, but I can't remember his first name.

I'm glad he mentioned the brake pad wear. Makes me feel like I have something in common with a decent rider.

7hrs is nuts, i did maybe 2 hrs in spain before, nothing near the hill he was on.
I would say though being from Donegal, climbing hills is kinda all you ever do on a bike. Like big fuckoff low ratio hills, none of your flood plains stuff. He could just be bred into it.

You want to see the state of Colombia. Mother of god.

In Colombia they appeared to have glued the roads directly onto the sides of mountains. In Colombia a serious consideration is: is my tyre going to grip here?

And that's the road out of town. Bogota is at well over 2,500 meters up. And the roads out of Bogota go UP. And they don't go up politely at all, it's fuck it, we'll do it live - the road goes THERE,I didn't pay you for your opinion, build the fucking road - type ascents.

david o'doherty's bike collection is looking well.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

david o'doherty's bike collection is looking well.

You know that thing where Baby Boomers realize they've always wanted something, and they realize they've actually got the shekels to buy it, and the next thing air cooled Porsche 911 or whatever prices start going berserk?

I'm looking at that Colnago Masters with ridiculous Campag Delta brakes, and there's some troubling yearnings getting activated.

i wouldn't mind only i demurred on a colago master purchase last year. it popped up a few weeks after i'd bought another bike so i decided to let sleeping dogs lie.

i wouldn't mind only i demurred on a colago master purchase last year. it popped up a few weeks after i'd bought another bike so i decided to let sleeping dogs lie.

I built up a race Bianchi when I was about 17, and looked inside the frame. That was when I realised that I needed one. The insides of the frame, the finish of the tubes, the bottom bracket shell, every braze, all the internal stuff is immaculate. The first time I saw a Colnago masters was just after that. The finish on the stuff you can't see on those frames was different level, the person who built it gave a fuck.

Those bikes almost put themselves together, everything just fitted. When you put the bottom bracket cups in, they snugged up perfectly. I would almost pay to put those bikes together, it was satisfying. And since they were so easy to build, you could spend ages on silly details like making the tape perfect or whatever.

I'm not sure if the newer carbon stuff is the same, but those old steel Italian jobbies were joy inducing objects altogether.

oh, there's a load ot stories of people having to bodge BBs in on carbon frames, constant issues with creaks, etc.
a lot of it is down to press fit rather than carbon per se.

i can't stand him. one of the two videos i started to watch of his, he started into a really personal hatchet job of someone working for one of the british cycling mags, real 'axe to grind' stuff. not interested in watching him again.

i can't stand him. one of the two videos i started to watch of his, he started into a really personal hatchet job of someone working for one of the british cycling mags, real 'axe to grind' stuff. not interested in watching him again.

He's a very strange guy, and he's hard to watch alright. I think I know the video you're talking about, and there's a smell of misogyny off it. The engineering ones are less painful. He seems to know gear, there was a video explaining all the new types of bottom brackets in existence I found useful. Also the fact that some allegedly high-end (eg Cervelo) carbon frames are basically crooked was news to me. He seems to have found a carbon manufacturer by the name of Winspace who he alleges make good stuff.

But yeah. Very hard to watch, and I think he might be a bit unwell.

looks like the lid on the pressure pot has blown after the death of that brazilian deliveroo cyclist on north wall quay - apparently and unsurprisingly, those lads get a huge amount of racial abuse on top of the normal anti-cyclist abuse you'd expect someone cycling around the city to deal with.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Cornu Ammonis
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back