The 'Bands I don't Get' thread (1 Viewer)

King for a day is essentially missing Roddy because he was having a tough time, but in ways his absence kinda means he's all over it as some kind of orbital influence - I don't know how exactly i'd explain that but I'm sure you get the idea.

Also missing Big Jim with no orbital influence from him. 😂

You think? IMO Ghosteen is up there with his very best stuff, and he's fucking devastating live these days
Yeah, I guess I'll always take a punt on seeing him live alright.
I'm just utterly sick of that kinda personality-led approach to music. Where you have to buy in to the mythos in order to fully enjoy the music. I'll give Ghosteen a spin tomorrow on your recommendation. But really, the self-regarding weight and preciousness of his later stuff makes my skin crawl. It's something I've felt for a long time. It's not valueless, it's just one approach to making commercial music, and it's not for me. I feel it about a million musicians of various hues - his was the nearest crotch to aim a boot at - and I may end up changing my opinion on this sometime. But for now, there it stands.

Where you have to buy in to the mythos in order to fully enjoy the music. I'll give Ghosteen a spin tomorrow on your recommendation. But really, the self-regarding weight and preciousness of his later stuff makes my skin crawl. It's something I've felt for a long time.
Hah ok fair enough. I kinda feel like it's the force of his personality that has made his music good from the beginning, and it's only later in career that his song writing caught up

I love most of Nick Cave's music but after seeing him live and the quasi-religious adoration involved (that I think I've mentioned on here before) I decided to step away from him for a while.

Years ago mys sister asked why I listened to him, because to her this is what he sounded like

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I love most of Nick Cave's music but after seeing him live and the quasi-religious adoration involved (that I think I've mentioned on here before) I decided to step away from him for a while.

Years ago mys sister asked why I listened to him, because to her this is what he sounded like

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

That's an incredibly accurate comparison. Can't be unheard.

The "force of personality" thing is spot on. I used to think he was cool and was a big fan - now I think he's a dick so I can't put up with listening to him. Still treasure the memories of some amazing Bad Seeds shows over the years but it's not for me anymore.

the most recent Cave album I bought was Henry's Dream.
the BIRTHDAY PARTY was his best era IMO so the first Bad Seeds LP
is as good as any.

since I first heard The Bad Seeds 30 years ago, I've always thought there
was more than a hint of Roger Whittaker about them.
I just cross referenced both on google and couldn't find any connection.
maybe it's just me.
Cave has covered The Seekers, Gene Pitney and Tom Jones so I thought it
wasn't inconceivable he was a fan of Roger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back