VCR player[s] Wanted (1 Viewer)

Nate Champion

I'm looking to stockpile working VHS players. No preferred brands. Just as long as it's working

Will offer cash, or possible trade for records/cds/books.

Might be a bit of a long shot, being 2020, but you never know what people have knocking about that they don't need or use.

This place recently closed down but used to have a bunch of them. Might be worth trying the number to see if he has any old stock leftover: Campbell T V Ltd

My old one's broke I'm afraid.

Damn, I was wondering about those old mom and pop electrical stores that might survive on selling kettles and toasters. Right next to Matt the Rashers too which would have been perfect as I'm on the keto diet.

I was knocking about Listowel the other week hoping for that very type of store. Nothing of the sort. Bought a dvd player for five pound in a Sue Ryder run by two British broads, the fucking thing barely worked. JVC. No remote.

Just buying a Hitachi beauty off ebay here for 35 spondulies including the Queen's postage price.

Damn, I was wondering about those old mom and pop electrical stores that might survive on selling kettles and toasters. Right next to Matt the Rashers too which would have been perfect as I'm on the keto diet.

I was knocking about Listowel the other week hoping for that very type of store. Nothing of the sort. Bought a dvd player for five pound in a Sue Ryder run by two British broads, the fucking thing barely worked. JVC. No remote.

Just buying a Hitachi beauty off ebay here for 35 spondulies including the Queen's postage price.
I miss that shop immensely he was a great lad, sort of like what Martin Donovan's character in Trust might have ended up like if he got bald and into cardigans. I have a Fisher record player and he was able to enlighten me that Fisher is what Sanyo marketed themselves as in the US as Sanyo sounded too foreign!

Matt the Rashers does a serious fry alright. Haven't been suitably hungover enough to go more than once or twice since we moved in around here. Getting old.

Were you able to pay a visit to John B Keane's place in Listowel while you were there?

Good luck with the hunt! Didn't the Joinery used to have a bunch of old VCR's knocking around when it used to be open? Not sure if they all worked or what.

sorry i can't help you Nate, but for what it's worth -

my folks bought a Sharp VCR about 2003 when the format was on the way out.
within 18 months of purchase it seemed DVD's had completely taken over
and despite having cost 300 Euro it was rarely used.
it still works fine, so i'd imagine there must be a few VCR's out there ?

I miss that shop immensely he was a great lad, sort of like what Martin Donovan's character in Trust might have ended up like if he got bald and into cardigans. I have a Fisher record player and he was able to enlighten me that Fisher is what Sanyo marketed themselves as in the US as Sanyo sounded too foreign!

Matt the Rashers does a serious fry alright. Haven't been suitably hungover enough to go more than once or twice since we moved in around here. Getting old.

Were you able to pay a visit to John B Keane's place in Listowel while you were there?

Good luck with the hunt! Didn't the Joinery used to have a bunch of old VCR's knocking around when it used to be open? Not sure if they all worked or what.

The Joinery is a long time gone now?

Didn't go to his place. There were no bars open. I did see his son or grandson, I assume, Billy Keane on the street looking very distracted and nervy.

Right, that would be class to have a character like that running his own shop. I read that initially as he looked like Martin Donovan. Somehow I'm friends with Martin Donovan on facebook - he's as intense as his character in Trust, not the usual actor shite. Reminds me of first completely by chance exposure to Hal Hartley renting out Simple Men on VHS, 5 for seven quid for the week in 2003 off Baggott St. Xtravision. Key entry point, but Trust is probably still the best Hartley. Needless to say I have Simple Men and Trust on vhs - both picked up secondhand when VHS titles were going for next to nothing. Prime VHS action.

Cheers, just bought a Sanyo now that you mention. 40 eu all in including postage.

Why are you stockpiling them?

Fair question. I currently have two VHS players. One of them has Boogie Nights jammed into it. So, it's out of commission until it's fixed. And it'll be cheaper to buy a heap of them for about £20 to £50 than get that one fixed. I mean how much would that one cost to get fixed? Minimum you would be talking about £50 walk-in fee. So, having five to ten spare, each time one breaks or wears out, there'll be one that will be ready to go. I just don't want to be sitting in a house in the 2040s and realise I can't watch River's Edge or whatever on VHS. Another thing by then is will the VCRs be compatible with future TVs but I'll come to that problem in time. Things are going to get tricky.

I also just can't accept reality. I want to time portal back to the 1980s where work can't badger you with endless emails and bastard, unnecessary phone calls.

sorry i can't help you Nate, but for what it's worth -

my folks bought a Sharp VCR about 2003 when the format was on the way out.
within 18 months of purchase it seemed DVD's had completely taken over
and despite having cost 300 Euro it was rarely used.
it still works fine, so i'd imagine there must be a few VCR's out there ?

That's mad money. And Sharp as well. I was only getting into VHS in 2003. Well, I was renting a fair few around then. The old 5 for seven euro jobs in Xtravision and Chartbusters, made some serious entries into the indle film world that way. Sadly they did start fazing them out the year after, but there were mad bargains and finds to be had too. The last VHS title I bought was in August 2017 in a charity shop in Cabel St - The Rapture with Mimi Rogers. Offbeat, singular flick not dissimilar to Todd Haynes' Safe - highly recommended, written and directed by the bloke who wrote The Player. Looking back it seems odd that you could still get secondhand VHS titles that late in the day.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Check this out! The top ten VCRs to buy in 2020. Some mouthwatering hardware in there, but surely those dual dvd/vhs players are on a fast hiding to breakdown, scrap city?

Fair question. I currently have two VHS players. One of them has Boogie Nights jammed into it. So, it's out of commission until it's fixed. And it'll be cheaper to buy a heap of them for about £20 to £50 than get that one fixed. I mean how much would that one cost to get fixed? Minimum you would be talking about £50 walk-in fee. So, having five to ten spare, each time one breaks or wears out, there'll be one that will be ready to go. I just don't want to be sitting in a house in the 2040s and realise I can't watch River's Edge or whatever on VHS. Another thing by then is will the VCRs be compatible with future TVs but I'll come to that problem in time. Things are going to get tricky.

I also just can't accept reality. I want to time portal back to the 1980s where work can't badger you with endless emails and bastard, unnecessary phone calls.

This is completely mental in a way that I approve of. So much so that I want to help you out. I think I have one in the attic. Will have a look later ....

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

could you not just digitise your VHS collection?

This is like someone asking, "hey, how about this, why don't you have sex like the way Bullock does with Sly in 'Demolition Man' instead of having actual sex?"

Or download them

Although less cumbersome, and certainly less repellent than the above suggestion, not without problems. I'm not adverse to downloading. I usually let others do it for me, then hoover up the goods via UBS. People get feverish about downloading if you let them. I got into it at one point. It made me feel very greedy. I was dizzy with greed plying the belly of my computer with continuous goods. The greedier I got, the more neglectful I became of my low-quality Toshiba model. Viruses slipping and spilling in. I plied that baby to its swollen death with goodies, waiting for seeds, harmless seeds, just looking for one more Lubitsch movie to satisfy my ticklish bones.

can we change the thread title.

i suggest

VCR / VHS wanted.

Good idea. Feel free to throw titles at me, folks.

This is completely mental in a way that I approve of. So much so that I want to help you out. I think I have one in the attic. Will have a look later ....

Is this the only VCR player you have left? I would hate for you to give me that, and then be filled with sudden emptiness at a later point in the next thirty years with no idea why or how to fill it.

However, yeah, I'm keen. Thank you.

Keep an eye on the Free section of adverts,you can set up alerts for players,you could also stick an ad in the wanted section.

Cheers E.B. I'll scan the old Adverts, but it seems like the search is just filled with dvd players...

Hey,

Went and had a look. Can't find it. So, I must have given it away or junked it a few years ago.

Sorry!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back