Riddle me this. Busking vidyos on YT. (1 Viewer)

Scientician 0.8

Supporter
Contributor
What's the crack with the most perfunctory street busking cover videos getting millions and millions of views on YouTube?

I keep seeing videos labelled "Most amazing Billie Jean cover" or whatever and it is some lad on Henry St or wherever competently banging out a busker version of said song. Loads of these have millions of views and I can't fathom why.

There are some undeniably great buskers out there but it seems like hit song of 80s 90s early 00s plus lad with guitar and mic = viral gold.

Is busking less common in other cities?

Modrin Sorcery.any time I've had to battle through crowds on Grafton St,its because people have stopped dead to marvel at some lad with a tc vocal pedal and looper like the very fabric of time was being bent in front of them.

There are definitely more buskers in Dublin. It's more regulated here, and the standard is higher. Extraordinary, in some cases. Not that the punters notice....

As Jimmybreeze says, the loop pedal does bamboozle people.

I have a busker friend who went out for the first time in months recently. I saw his FB posts, but then another video from a random person came back around to me of that same mate playing. The randomer said she was "crying, it's the first live music I've seen in months".

So, get the right pitch, a loop pedal, deprive people of live music for months and you're well on your way to YouTube Famou$ne$$.

Corona is the Coronas' fault.

Yabut seriously, is busking rarer internationally than I imagined? Dublin and Galway are almost plagued by busking in the sense that it is so common, and decent quality journeyperson musicians are 10 a penny in both locales. I just find it weird what the audience is for "that song you know but done in a way a slightly clued-in passerby might find pleasant if they were there".

What's the crack with the most perfunctory street busking cover videos getting millions and millions of views on YouTube?

I keep seeing videos labelled "Most amazing Billie Jean cover" or whatever and it is some lad on Henry St or wherever competently banging out a busker version of said song. Loads of these have millions of views and I can't fathom why.

There are some undeniably great buskers out there but it seems like hit song of 80s 90s early 00s plus lad with guitar and mic = viral gold.

Is busking less common in other cities?
there's a young wan who busks on grafton st. Apparently when she was younger she appeared on Ellen cos she was able to sing and had an Irish accent. Anyway, cos of the Ellen appearance she has 1.5 million followers on instagram. Anything she posts or reposts, or anytime she sings with other busker punters, they get thousands and thousands of views from that alone. There seems to be a clique of 15-16 year-olds who busk near Brown Thomas (daughter of a friend of mine amongst them), and all they seem to do is Ed Sheeran cover versions. Fair play to them but they sound pretty terrible to this old fucker.

evoke.ie said:
left a scathing comment on the youngster’s page, saying: ‘I can’t live with you having a platform and not using it #BlackLivesMatter.’
One of the biggest stars in the world hassles a child, not for what she said, but for what she didn't say?

I'm genuinely horrified. That kid is the same age as my kid. He's virtue signalling by publicly taking down a 15 year old? Fuck Justin Bieber and the horse he rode in on

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back