Post-COVID live music (1 Viewer)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
Whelan's reopens as a bar & music venue on Aug 10th.

Baby Steps, You gotta crawl before you can walk.

Whelan’s is delighted to be returning, to be coming out of musical hibernation, after our covid winter. But we haven’t been sleeping, we’ve been planning on how to make the venue safe for everyone who has the live music bug. We’ve also been working to make sure that we can run shows with safety at the forefront. For the staff, the performers and of course our music nut customers who need their sonic fix. So in the short term, at least, we need to limit our capacity and are only running shows in our main venue. This means that a capacity of 450 has become 88 with all shows being seated. Sales will be by the table, so 2,4 or 6 people at a table.

It seems prudent to limit the number of people performing and the genres of music we can cater for as well. So for the first few weeks of gigs it will be more acoustic or electronic in nature. We can’t expect people to stay routed to a seat when an eight piece rock band is tearing up the stage. We’re all human after all. It's hard to fight the urge to join in when a band is in full flow. Expect more solo acoustic acts and trad and folk. Expect up and coming comedy shows. And even the odd (possibly in every sense of the word) table quiz. But the main thing is we are open for creativity. For people creating magic on our stage.

Show announcements will begin next week as we finalise plans.

It’s not the ‘new normal’, it's the temporary finding your feet normal.

Safety measures:
Assigned Seating at tables only.
Temperature checks at the entry.
Disinfectant hand rub at entry and throughout venue.
Table service only.
Advance booking only.
Lead contact details taken.

For the Bands:
No sharing of vocal mics.
Vocal mics disinfected after use and not used for at least 3 days later.
Vocal mics using pop shields.
Mic stands and leads also disinfected after use.
Socially distanced dressingroom.
No more than 3 or 4 on stage at any one time.
Safe distance between band and front of audience.

I just cant imagine the atmosphere working for pretty much anyone

Most shows I do are to audiences between say 20 to 60, occasionally a bigger crowd. Depending on the music and the ability of the musician to entertain it might make for a nice evening. I'm too highly strung at the minute to countenance going to an indoor gig or indeed playing one so dunno when I'd want to be going back. I don't do it that often but I miss dancing at a disco more than live shows tbqh.

Dolans were planning Drive In gigs but they’ve been scrapped now.
I’d rather the 88 seater gig to sitting in my car.

I miss dancing at a disco more than live shows tbqh.
Dancing in discos is pretty much my favourite thing, but for the last couple of years whenever I go seeking dancing in Dublin (once or twice a year) I either find empty dancefloors or shit music (or both!). You have suggestions for where I might go once things open up again? I don't care about genre much, I just want exciting music and a well-populated dancefloor

Dancing in discos is pretty much my favourite thing, but for the last couple of years whenever I go seeking dancing in Dublin (once or twice a year) I either find empty dancefloors or shit music (or both!). You have suggestions for where I might go once things open up again? I don't care about genre much, I just want exciting music and a well-populated dancefloor

Jigsaw.

Also occurs to me that Doyles may still have some good nights. Been a while since I was there for dishco though.

Been tempted to book Jigsaw for an auld lads and auld wans disco. Everything from 60s rock, 70s punk, 80s new romance 90s indie/alternative etc like that Whelans indie disco bingo yoke yer man did years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back