The 'Bands I don't Get' thread (1 Viewer)

Yeah, I noticed it intensify after his death. People who I'd never heard mention him before were suddenly gushing about what a great artist, icon and humble man he was. And they're still at it now. Like imagine saying that about someone who was probably paid about £5 million to appear onstage for two hours :sick:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Oh... well why didn't he just say that? Also it is.

I don't like saying things directly because of the acidic content of ink.

sorry.

I don't think my response was an less surreal than the intial statement. I scarcely watch tv so melts talking about bowie don't exist to me, only bowie. Both are optional, both are unrelated.

I don't like saying things directly because of the acidic content of ink.

sorry.

I don't think my response was an less surreal than the intial statement. I scarcely watch tv so melts talking about bowie don't exist to me, only bowie. Both are optional, both are unrelated.
fair. i spend far far too much of my time getting annoyed by british tv and newspaper melts.

I get what Bernie is saying. Annoying people on social media jumping on the whatever the latest bandwagon is.
I'm a Bowie fan, have a bunch of albums. Seen him in the Olympia in 97. But I don't worship him.
He was very inconsistent. Even in his 70's golden years (bop bop bop) a lot of the albums are patchy.

But the point of the original comment is not that Bowie is at fault, its that there is this new fawning adulation from "people"; people in the media, in social media, down the pub etc. No need to reiterate that it's not Bowie's fault.

You'll get nothing but fawning adulation for Bowie from me but I do know what you mean. I think it was easy to ignore him in the 90s/00s as his output was not that great. I know I did. In retrospect though it was a lot better than many gave him credit for and then when he then went underground for a decade and came back with one very good and one excellent album and then .. died ..... lots of folk woke up the fact that he really was the greatest.

I really regret passing up opportunities to go and see him over that period (i.e. the Reality tour show at the Point) but I did get to that Olympia one in 97 too.

I went to that Reality show at the Point. He was great and Dandy Warhols supported at the height of their Bohemian Like You/mobile phone ad soundtrack fame (fame fame).

I remember reading a great angry fan review of his final album on the Saturday it came out, IIRC correctly he died on the Sunday or Monday - all very "yes Bowie, you found a new sound and at your best it's brilliant but as always this album is woefully inconsistent, just like every album you have released since 1982. 4/10." I think about that review a fair amount tbh.

I've a mate who got into bowie entirely through earthling - via little wonder. Its not my go to or anything but you got to admin, he got a reaction, we played right into his hands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back