I'm going to buy a record player................... (2 Viewers)

Or if you have deep pockets, Cloney Audio

Online Store — Cloney Audio

Nice pair of 800 D3 speakers going for a very reasonable €26,999.00
pity, my budget limit is 25,999.00
checked their site. nothing listed like Richer e.g. I'm in Cork so not going to be calling to Cloney anytime soon

if anyone does have recommendations for specific speakers that'd be great
current ones are a set of Monitor Audios that sounded ace but a niggly issue reoccuring, so after ten years going to see what's available instead. budget 400 tops

Decent selection of speakers in hitfi hut

Speakers

I have a pair of Qacoustics 2020i that I bought about 7 years but tbh I don't know much about speakers. I read reviews & went by that.

i always have just fed the speaker wire into the binding post on the amp and tightened it up

thinking of using banana plugs next time. seems tidier job and more convenient if having to move things

what ye do? any major do or don't for this matter?

I haven't had a cd player for years, the last one I had was a cheapo dvd player and it seemed fine. I was looking at the Savins website there (I'm going to buy a record player) and the cheapest CD player is €229 and they go up to €12999(!). The Rega ISIS one looks nice, at only €7580. Have any of you splashed out on a swish CD player and was it worth it? I'm not getting one, just curious...

Yeah I splashed out last year on a decent cdplayer, there's a whole world of people who say you should buy a separate "transport" (i.e. cd spinner) and digital to analogue converter. I'm not ready to go down that route but the thing I got can be used as a separate transport if I wanted to.

this yoke, it cost around 300-350 i'd say. Like everything I buy it's on the lower end of the middle price range:

Box Design CD Box DS High-End Audio CD Player | Product overview | What Hi-Fi?

It's kind of mad to hold, it's so heavy but all it does is play cds, nothing fancy like SACDs or even digital skip protection. It's a very 80s version of what they thought the future would look like. For what it's worth, I have noticed that it does play some tracks that other cd players gave up on. I hope it will last me at the very least 15+ years.

Last edited:
I haven't had a cd player for years, the last one I had was a cheapo dvd player and it seemed fine. I was looking at the Savins website there (I'm going to buy a record player) and the cheapest CD player is €229 and they go up to €12999(!). The Rega ISIS one looks nice, at only €7580. Have any of you splashed out on a swish CD player and was it worth it? I'm not getting one, just curious...
i had one up until about 5 years ago but it died and I never replaced it. A nice Cambridge Audio one. Considered picking another one up over the weekend for a minute when getting the new speakers but was a bit surprised at the cost on Richer. 140 for a Tibo player (never heard of that make). Then 200 and then cost rising steeply. Definitely cheaper options were out there over ten years ago when I last bought one. I do still play CDs in my car though and they sound great

RE: CD players - Go into a charity store and get a dvd player for 5 euro with a digital out on it.
I had been using one of them, it took ages to load and sometimes the cd spinning noise was louder than the music. Not to mention that it gave up anytime a cd had so much as been in the same room as a scratch.

My CDs are mostly in boxes in my parents house since 2012. I had a rummage through them yesterday and got a bit sentimental. I might as well play them as leave them there, but on the other hand I can stream almost all of them or download flacs. I dunno

I wouldn't be without a CD player. Its a great format IMHO, much maligned. When mastered right they can sound as good as any record, with none of the hassle.

Yeah, they're good, I just dunno is it really necessary anymore to keep small amounts of digital data on relatively large plastic discs which are themselves stored plastic jewel cases. But I get it, I want one.

My folks (150 miles away in lockdown) off handedly mentioned that they were 'clearing out some boxes of CD's during the lockdown'.

I mean at the core of it Its my fault.

I ended up buying the Monitor Audio Bronze 2s as plugged by Dudley and pairing them with a Denon PMA-600NE which is a fairly new amp with an inbuilt phono stage Bluetooth. I just kept the really old Sony CD player which works perfectly.

The whole setup sounds great even without splashing out a 2m of fancy cable with banana plugs for £100. I tried to speakers with my old amp first and have resisted the urge to do some kind of amp comparison in case I realise the amp that can be picked up on eBay for peanuts sounds better than the new one.

I think I'm also remembering how much I love CDs. I've been put off buying them because of Spotify for years. Most of mine have been in a shed in Sligo since I moved to England. Time is fast approaching when I'll have to commit to being a Brit forever and can get them shipped over or end up being reunited with them closer to home.

The banana plugs I got do not fit fully into the speaker as seen in the photo here. I presume this is a big No??
At this stage I’m just thinking of forgetting about using the banana plug altogether.
59E66C16-FFE4-4E40-A38C-E09DC85975FE.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back