US politics (5 Viewers)

I, a white-ass Irish kid, got racist abuse in school (in Ireland) for being born in England. Not entirely sure what race they thought I was.
Often I wonder if racism among kids counts for anything at all - kids will bully anyone who stands out. Anything unusual made you a target in the CBS primary school in Wexford town in the 80s. Too clever, too stupid, weird hair, or god forbid wearing shorts when it was hot - it didn't mean they hated you, they were just trying to climb the social ladder (which was based purely on "hardness")

Often I wonder if racism among kids counts for anything at all - kids will bully anyone who stands out. Anything unusual made you a target in the CBS primary school in Wexford town in the 80s. Too clever, too stupid, weird hair, or god forbid wearing shorts when it was hot - it didn't mean they hated you, they were just trying to climb the social ladder (which was based purely on "hardness")
I mean, this is true but I don't think anyone in here is calling on anyone to condemn children! Calling out racism at an early age is still worth doing though, no?

I blame the parents. You get a class of 30 kids and 28 of those families are doing the best they can to raise a kid who understands these things and then the other 2 are completely unconcious of any of these things and feeding the kids all sorts, the language still gets introduced to the collective, and we all know new words and things are super interesting when you are 8. I.e. I dont blame all the parents, i blame a few parents but I don't really think kids should do more than a few years hard labour for these kind of thing.

I'd still know some of the people who were at it back then and they are not at all racist. So you're right. Also, @Lili Marlene is right. Its a good excuse, were one even needed, to educate kids about this stuff.

I mean, this is true but I don't think anyone in here is calling on anyone to condemn children! Calling out racism at an early age is still worth doing though, no?
Ah yeah, I agree - when someone is a kid it's the absolute easiest time to change their mind.

I feel like there's something about community and identity and seeking status within in-groups that's related to how racism works that I don't quite grasp, just thinking out loud about that is all

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I want to hear more from the cat!

Also, why is it pronounced "Ann-tee-fa" and not "Anti-fah"? Have I been talking to the wrong people?

Maybe all the "Anti-fah" people are undercover police trying to trick me. Or the other way around. Who knows.

Anniversary of D-Day is in a couple of days. That was a pretty big Auntie-Fadh event.

Or maybe that's what they WANT you to think???

I think it's a way of discrediting the group by mispronouncing it. In the same way the BBC* used to intentionally mispronounce Irish politicians names in the 80's and 90's. They still do it to whoever they don't like. It sounds like a stupidly petty conspiracy theory, but we've seen it before.

*(pronounced bleh beh shee)

Or maybe that's what they WANT you to think???

I think it's a way of discrediting the group by mispronouncing it. In the same way the BBC* used to intentionally mispronounce Irish politicians names in the 80's and 90's. They still do it to whoever they don't like. It sounds like a stupidly petty conspiracy theory, but we've seen it before.

*(pronounced bleh beh shee)

the good old days when rather than actually mention donegal exists you just put it and catholic derry under the whole ambigious blanket of foyle west.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back