Uh Oh! What's your preferred Hard Drive recovery tool? (1 Viewer)

pissypants

An internal sata drive of mine has shit the bed.
I've rescued discs like this before, but for the life of me I can't remember specifically what software that I used.
Any suggestions? I believe there's plenty of shit ones out there so I want to avoid them.

been so long since i had to do this - is it a hardware issue? recuva is what i used last time i had to recover data, but that was due to a simple accidental deletion.

I like this one but it’s been a while since I’ve had anything other than an outright dead in the water hardware failure

been so long since i had to do this - is it a hardware issue? recuva is what i used last time i had to recover data, but that was due to a simple accidental deletion.

I tried Recuva, but to no avail. Another piece of software I used could see all the files, but wasn't succefully retrieving them for me. I've left it in to a data recovery place now. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I like this one but it’s been a while since I’ve had anything other than an outright dead in the water hardware failure

Cheers pete, I tried that, but it was taking so long that I was afraid of keeping the disc spinning for another day long attempt, so I've left it into a professional now. . Another piece of software I used could see all the files, but wasn't successfully retrieving them for me. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Cheers pete, I tried that, but it was taking so long that I was afraid of keeping the disc spinning for another day long attempt, so I've left it into a professional now. . Another piece of software I used could see all the files, but wasn't successfully retrieving them for me. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Who’d you go with? Is everyone still shipping the drives out to criticaldata.ie for assessment? Pricey business... I couldn’t afford their prices the one time I thought about it.

BadCopy Pro was another good one. Used it way back when with good results (well, good if you could live with all your recovered files being renamed to file0001.jpg, file0002.jpg etc... Still better than no recovery at all.

BadCopy Pro was another good one. Used it way back when with good results (well, good if you could live with all your recovered files being renamed to file0001.jpg, file0002.jpg etc... Still better than no recovery at all.

This would be my nightmare. There's a lot of music I've made on the drive which consists of lots of audio takes, for up to about 30-40 songs. Getting it back like this essentially would present an impossible jigsaw. I'd almost prefer they'd just tell me it was irretrivable!

I'm Galway based now so I went with a Galway company I know of. They have three different techniques to retrieve data, and if they fail, they can send it off to the UK to a super duper place, but that's into serious money. Hopefully it wont get that far.

my usual routine is that i've two 1TB internal drives in the computer, with my photos mirrored across them (using ice mirror), to protect against drive failure, and an external 1TB disk which is also mirrored and usuall left in my folk's house, to guard against fire/theft etc.

This would be my nightmare. There's a lot of music I've made on the drive which consists of lots of audio takes, for up to about 30-40 songs. Getting it back like this essentially would present an impossible jigsaw. I'd almost prefer they'd just tell me it was irretrivable!

I've my music projects mirrored to google drive - I *think* this covers me - on the mac it works natively as another drive on the machine.

I'd much appreciate if one of the grown ups told me if this was an awful idea or not.

cant really use dropbox because its hardwired on all my machines for work.

Coming into this late-but I ran into this issue recently. FYI, Enigma Recovery doesn't work, and from what I can see (too late) it appears to be a kind of scam. They advertise for both hard drive recovery as well as other recovery-but it doesn't work-so steer clear of them. My own issue couldn't be resolved unfortunately. It was a real shock, and a horrible lesson. Hope you get yours resolved.

Pricey but sometimes worth it.

So.... It *has* come to that. Outlook is pretty good. There's some bad sectors and it won't be a 100% retrieve as the file table (or whatever it's called) is slightly corrupt, but hopefully enough to get my tunes folder back! €980 and I'm supplying a backup drive.

For what it's worth, yer man says stay away from Seagate Barracuda drives. The current gen are all failing like this. At the moment WD Red/Enterprise drives are the way to go, they see less of them than any other. And nothing above 2-3 TB, as bigger than that and they're doing some dodgey shit to squash data onto the drive called "shingling" or being "shingled" that really brings down performance. It's essentially like putting another groove between the groove that's already on a record.

So.... It *has* come to that. Outlook is pretty good. There's some bad sectors and it won't be a 100% retrieve as the file table (or whatever it's called) is slightly corrupt, but hopefully enough to get my tunes folder back! €980 and I'm supplying a backup drive.

For what it's worth, yer man says stay away from Seagate Barracuda drives. The current gen are all failing like this. At the moment WD Red/Enterprise drives are the way to go, they see less of them than any other. And nothing above 2-3 TB, as bigger than that and they're doing some dodgey shit to squash data onto the drive called "shingling" or being "shingled" that really brings down performance. It's essentially like putting another groove between the groove that's already on a record.
Yeah that’s similar to what I was quoted a few years back. Painful.

Yeah that’s similar to what I was quoted a few years back. Painful.

Sure we've nobody to blame but ourselves, really. I'm going to look into cloud storage, even for just my music making folder. Carbonite is $6 a month for one machine. Just twiddling may be necessary for it to suck up all the files (for some fucking dumb reason it's designed to look for only common document types) but it could be a way for me to go..

Sure we've nobody to blame but ourselves, really. I'm going to look into cloud storage, even for just my music making folder. Carbonite is $6 a month for one machine. Just twiddling may be necessary for it to suck up all the files (for some fucking dumb reason it's designed to look for only common document types) but it could be a way for me to go..
I use crashplan. It’s not as cheap but I’ve almost 4TB backed up with them now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back