Fontaines DC (1 Viewer)

Someone sent me a song called "Gur Cake" on Whatsapp. It's an ace Fontaines parody in the way the Rutles were probably as good as the Beatles. Has anyone else heard it?

If you're on whatsapp and know my number MSG me and I'll fire it over.
they sell 'Dublin Gur Cake' in McCabes deli on Tara St. Looks nice. Never had it, mind.

I think it's class that a bunch of lads not from Dublin were able to find romance in a city that literally no one actually from Dublin could find.

Agree with this. Fontaines are grand. I also am a Western lad who spent too much time hanging out around places that other people would bawk at, just to see what's there, not finding much, but finding something. Because Dub-a-lin. I love the big small stupid clever place really.

It didn't make me want to start The Strokes DC, mind.

I think it's class that a bunch of lads not from Dublin were able to find romance in a city that literally no one actually from Dublin could find.

It is a nice flip on the norm at least. Some fuckhead from the pale 'retreats to the country' every two months to find themselves and then gets the media darling treatment for getting back to nature (i.e. turning up where people actually live, getting some dramatic media shots, whinging about their ex through a thin veil of aquatic metaphors, don't pay a drummer to come with you so its acoustic, straight up 8/10 in HP). You want to see cunts romanticizing your locality while really not fucking getting it then that is a pretty abundant supply right there - Though arguably the lack of interception by the media as usual is the crux of the problem.

Well i'm not up to date on every band from Ireland/Dublin but for me Pillow Queens are the Dublin band who really represent what its like to come from the shitty suburbs of Dublin, even if everyone else just wants to talk about the lesbian angle. Could never see Fontaines writing a song like Rats or Ragin'.

I think Lankum are class and musically brilliant and deserve to sell out Madison Square Garden and all but their DuBLiN sTrEEt MIscrEanT thing is as much an act as Fontaines.

They should do a cover of this

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

They should do a cover of this

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

They should just cover @Scientician 0.8's album. It'd be great!

Tell you what though, 20+ years later I listen to this song with more fondness than cringe.

I liked Damo before he was cool.

Edit: I'm listening to Dublin Town now. It really isn't as shite as I remember it, baring in mind that I first heard it as a moody teenage country boy. I like it.

Last edited:
Tell you what though, 20+ years later I listen to this song with more fondness than cringe.
That's cos it's a great song, but by fuck The Sofas made total shite of it (and the rest of that album). If he'd had the right people around him and some luck Damo coulda been Ed Sheeran 10 years before Ed Sheeran

edit: not as shit as Ed Sheeran though ... I mean he had that acoustic guitar rap thing going that went global for Ed

edit: not as shit as Ed Sheeran though ... I mean he had that acoustic guitar rap thing going that went global for Ed
Ed had the sense to retreat to the west to find inspiration and cash in on ye olde irish misticysims and get that bundled up into some slick marketing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back