Coffee (1 Viewer)

Coffee is best enjoyed

• Total voters
I've never really liked this thread, I've never really liked star wars and I'm not a huge fan of twitter, but there is a pandemic.

Thread:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I dabbled in making filtered coffee about 2 years ago. It was too time consuming at the time so I left it. Since having to work at home every day I've resumed my dabbling.

A mate put me onto this crowd in Galway - calendarcoffee.ie, and sent me a bag of their gear. Proper excellent stuff. Afaik, its just a couple working out of their home in Barna. Thorougly recommended.

Since then I've ordered a couple of bags of beans. Grind enough every day for my 2/3 cups and thats me sorted.

Also ordered a few bags of different beans from shoelane.ie. They have a place on Tara St, across the road from where I'm working, so trying to support local during these times. Tried the Colombian blend first. Needed a bit of sweetening, but overall a great taste.

Both of the above deliver very promptly. In the case of the Galway crowd, I ordered monday morning and the coffee arrived yesterday afternoon.

I've gotten UTM doing the dishes (yes kids I was doing all the meals and dishes and work up untill a few days ago) but he's using too much soap and the coffee tastes like soap but I've made so much progress this week I have to hold off the soap talk until the dishes are normalised.

So my coffee tastes like soap.

I've gotten UTM doing the dishes (yes kids I was doing all the meals and dishes and work up untill a few days ago) but he's using too much soap and the coffee tastes like soap but I've made so much progress this week I have to hold off the soap talk until the dishes are normalised.

So my coffee tastes like soap.
Maybe he’s washing the beans too?

I’m out of coffee but ordered a couple of bags from CoffeeAngel (my usual haunt) today. Can’t wait.

The last year We’ve been ordering a 2kg bag of ‘fairy floss’ blend of roasted beans from badger and dodo in cork every 6 weeks or so.
Just grind them the night before for using fhe aeropress in the morning.
Great flavour and price
I think we figured it out it’s about €50c a cup.

What does washing do? I've been ordering from Imbibe the last couple of weeks and one of the bags is washed. I notice the beans are more dry and supposedly a touch more bitter? The opposite of these ones which I sometimes get, which have this filmy residue and would be a lot smoother: Bewley's Espresso Beans - Bewley's Ireland
Coffee processed using the Washed method use a floatation tank to separate in ripe from in ripe cherries (ripe sink to the bottom). They are then pulped to remove outer skin and fruit flesh. Then they are placed in trough of fresh water where any remaining flesh is removed through fermentation. After fermentation, beans are washed again to remove any leftover debris. They are then dried slowly and evenly. Next they rest for 30-60 days then usually hulled to remove protective layer of parchment - graded for defects/colour/size, then bagged and shipped.
Wet processing coffee reduces chances of defects and can tend to present a higher level of acidity, increased complexity and a “cleaner” cup.

Coffee processed using the Washed method use a floatation tank to separate in ripe from in ripe cherries (ripe sink to the bottom). They are then pulped to remove outer skin and fruit flesh. Then they are placed in trough of fresh water where any remaining flesh is removed through fermentation. After fermentation, beans are washed again to remove any leftover debris. They are then dried slowly and evenly. Next they rest for 30-60 days then usually hulled to remove protective layer of parchment - graded for defects/colour/size, then bagged and shipped.
Wet processing coffee reduces chances of defects and can tend to present a higher level of acidity, increased complexity and a “cleaner” cup.
Jesus Christ

picked up one of these things in Lidl for 10 bob.

Looked like it was a handier way of making filter coffee. Have tried it over a few days now. In comparison to filtering the coffee through filter paper/dripper, its not quite there. The coffee comes out a bit cloudier, and because you heat it on the hob, its a lot hotter than with the dripper and that definitely affects the flavour.

Its not too bad though. Will definitely use it if I'm out of filter papers. And might even use it besides, if I take a notion to do so.

Looked like it was a handier way of making filter coffee. Have tried it over a few days now. In comparison to filtering the coffee through filter paper/dripper, its not quite there. The coffee comes out a bit cloudier, and because you heat it on the hob, its a lot hotter than with the dripper and that definitely affects the flavour.

Its not too bad though. Will definitely use it if I'm out of filter papers. And might even use it besides, if I take a notion to do so.

You can get good coffee out of them but I've always found getting good results from it to be a bit of a rigmarole requiring a lot of monitoring.

Thats all I use. I generally am just here for brown caffiene water but the only effort based thing I do is run it with the lid open so I can get it off the heat before it starts bringing up solids in the steam jet. If they are well sealed you can actually run them at a pretty low temp. Mine is like a dying steam train though.

Yeah, what Ann said, turn the heat down the moment the coffee starts coming out. Once you get the knack of not burning the coffee it's pretty decent.

What he said.
Pre boil the water (so the coffee spends less time exposed, makes it less bitter).
The grind size matters a lot too, aim for in between castor sugar and regular sugar.
Don't compress the coffee and take it off the heat one it starts sputtering.

I find that all pretty straightforward and leads to a consistently good coffee.

very interesting. i've always had bad results with stove top makers - i.e. burnt coffee. i may try this again in the future. i have a gaggia classic espresso machine for the last 15 years or so, and i've used the hob one at times when it's needed a service. never thought of pre boiling the water, timing it or even running it under a cold tap. always suspected i was just doing it wrong...

i've been using the fair trade beans from lidl for some time. i really like the colombia ones. not particularly expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back