What movie did you watch last night? (15 Viewers)

Tell Me Who I Am. Doco about twins, one of them loses his memory in a motorbike crash. The other twin creates his past life for him leaving out all the shit bits. This doesn't really work out for either of them. Done in an exploitative and uncomfortable way. Raises more questions than it answers. Lads, you should have gone to the cops, not Netflix.

Yesterday.

I found this to be deeply unsatisfying and far less than the sum of its parts. Sets up its premise almost like an extended twilight zone or tales of the unexpected episode, then just doesn’t do anything remotely interesting with it.
Sucks right. Every character was a cunt. Don't think I've disliked a film as much in years

Vivarium. Now this I liked. Best to go in cold. Maybe the premise was a little stretched for a feature film - maybe could have worked better as a 30 min short or a 45 min Twilight Zone episode - but I enjoyed it and was thinking about it the next day.

Spider-man: Far From Home - I really enjoyed this even though I had to ask the internet what The Blip was as I've only ever seen a couple of Marvel films.

Miss Fisher & the Crypt of Tears - silly but enjoyable 'lady detective' from the 1920s tv show gets a partially crowd-funded spin-off film. A ropey script contributes to most of the charm of the tv series being lost.

been meaning to watch this for a while
Interesting insight into German producer Conny Plank.
Claimed in that Kraftwerk book Publikation that Ralf and Florian borrowed very heavily from him over the early years and that he got a pay off of 5000 DM after producing Autobahn and received nothing after that for what the record made over the years. Quite prickish of them.
Also love how he couldn't be arsed producing U2, couldn't hack the singer

Last edited:
Watched Juliet, Naked the other night. Really enjoyed it. The Chris O'Dowd character might be sadly relatable for some of us here.

Also, nerd fact, the director used to play bass in the Lemonheads

Holy fuck.

I just watched Uncut Gems.

The lad at the end? The guy with the ridiculous tan and the blue glasses that's creeping on her in the helicopter and she goes to his room? I know that guy, I met that lad a few times. I worked with his daughter. He plays himself... basically. Like he's not acting, that's just him.

I recognised other people out of that film too. They aren't actors really, they are those people. I've seen them around, I worked in that area the film is set in for about 2 1/2 years.

Holy shit. That's unreal. I was not expecting that.

GO FUCK THE WEEKEND!

Haha. Yeah. Is The Weekend a real rapper yeah?

That entire film was crazy. I know those buildings, we rented offices in them when I was doing this start up company, and I'd see these guys coming and going all the time. That's exactly what it looks like, the buzzing people in part even. Sometimes I'd be in the elevator and they'd unlock that floor (they had special keys to access certain floors) and hop out and get buzzed in. I bet they didn't even create sets.

So, fine, big deal I recognise the streets, hah, fun. But then I realised I saw a few of those specific guys. They actually work in those buildings, doing those jobs.

And then I was looking at the high society Jewish get togethers and I was thinking, haha, I know those people. That's exactly how they are. I've met them, that's the car they drive, how they speak. The frenetic pace is exactly like that.

But then it cuts to literally him sitting in a Helicopter with the lead actress... and... I mean, he's playing himself too, that isn't acting on his part. The whole thing is not that far off from being a documentary. It was a very strange feeling to watch that.

edit - removing names, because I'm slightly doxing myself here.

Last edited:
A while back I was a bit pished, and I wrote about the Hasidic / Ultra Orthodox Jewish communities in NYC, I mentioned I was asking about what the deal was with those guys were and I got both barrels off a woman I worked with giving out about them. That was the lad in the helicopter's daughter.
And when I people were coming up to me in the street asking me if I'm a Jew, that was outside those buildings.

Haha. Yeah. Is The Weekend a real rapper yeah?

That entire film was crazy. I know those buildings, we rented offices in them when I was doing this start up company, and I'd see these guys coming and going all the time. That's exactly what it looks like, the buzzing people in part even. Sometimes I'd be in the elevator and they'd unlock that floor (they had special keys to access certain floors) and hop out and get buzzed in. I bet they didn't even create sets.

So, fine, big deal I recognise the streets, hah, fun. But then I realised I saw a few of those specific guys. They actually work in those buildings, doing those jobs.

And then I was looking at the high society Jewish get togethers and I was thinking, haha, I know those people. That's exactly how they are. I've met them, that's the car they drive, how they speak. The frenetic pace is exactly like that.

But then it cuts to literally him sitting in a Helicopter with the lead actress... and... I mean, he's playing himself too, that isn't acting on his part. The whole thing is not that far off from being a documentary. It was a very strange feeling to watch that.

edit - removing names, because I'm slightly doxing myself here.

Wait a minute ... YOU'RE ADAM SANDLER!!

Wait a minute ... YOU'RE ADAM SANDLER!!

Seemingly his Dad just died. Poor bastard.

I was completely traumatized by that film. I stayed up until about 4 am wandering around my apartment. Not really because I knew people out of it, but it put me back into that headspace I was in a few years ago.

I'm really really glad that I don't have to deal with that whole set of people any more.

Seemingly his Dad just died. Poor bastard.

I was completely traumatized by that film. I stayed up until about 4 am wandering around my apartment. Not really because I knew people out of it, but it put me back into that headspace I was in a few years ago.

I'm really really glad that I don't have to deal with that whole set of people any more.

Haha you know that was Ben Stiller right? Gonna assume that's the joke.
Watch Good Time, film the Safdies did before Uncut Gems. It's fuckin amazing too and comes from a totally different place.

Vivarium. Now this I liked. Best to go in cold. Maybe the premise was a little stretched for a feature film - maybe could have worked better as a 30 min short or a 45 min Twilight Zone episode - but I enjoyed it and was thinking about it the next day.

I agree on The Twilight Zone thing but I really enjoyed it too. And Imogen Poots should be in the Horn thread if she isn't already.

Haha you know that was Ben Stiller right? Gonna assume that's the joke.
Watch Good Time, film the Safdies did before Uncut Gems. It's fuckin amazing too and comes from a totally different place.

Yeah, I just read that Jerry Stiller died.

Ben Stiller was good in that film too. I wasn't really noticing him because... well, I mean, it's a good film I suppose. You probably shouldn't notice actors in good films.

OK. Thanks for the recommendation... I'll probably take a bit of a break from films from those lads for the rest of the week I think. It kind of (in retrospect) reminded me of Irreversible from that French lad, only less completely fucked. That constant stream of... something... which leaves you exhausted at the end.

It's a well made film.

I watched Chinatown. It felt familiar, possibly to its reputation. I might have seen it before decades ago but if I had I'd forgotten most if it. It's so good.

Should I watch The Two Jakes tonight? Is it any use?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back