What movie did you watch last night? (9 Viewers)

completely subverts his smarmy, creepy charm
I have to think that's McQuarrie's influence in there - he plays with the idea of "Tom Cruise" more than his other collaborators that I can think of

But who the hell actually knows

It's fucked up that this made less money that The Mummy - which was so shite, it was about the only Cruise film I never finished

Perhaps PT Anderson.
Right
That and Vanilla Sky and Eyes Wide Shut around that time, he really wanted to be taken seriously, show his range and get award nominations.
It never happened, and he went back to shooting things and/or aliens.

Even Tom Cruise struggles with the MUBI paradox!

ETA, arguably Collateral is against type, but he's still got a Jesus complex and a gun in that.

Edge Of Tomorrow - 2014

Last of the original Cruise sci-fi yokes, which is a pity - people only like franchises now
They work the device (plot?) really well, despite the obvious Groundhog Day similarities
Cruise is great, playing as much against type as he'll let himself anymore
Emily Blunt transforms herself into an action star
Bill Paxton, Brendan Gleeson - come on

3rd act is a little underwhelming, after everything that's gone before it, but it is extremely solid entertainment,which is what Doug Liman is very good at delivering

Even if you hate Cruise, you get to see him die over and over again

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

View attachment 13888

saw in that IMAX and it was amazing. Brendan Gleeson is great in it.

There’s sequel on the way too, so I guess it’s a franchise now.

saw in that IMAX and it was amazing. Brendan Gleeson is great in it.

There’s sequel on the way too, so I guess it’s a franchise now.
Yeah, everyone from McQuarrie to Blunt to Liman has said they're working on a sequel, but it's all just yapping
The kind of thing you say to keep fans happy
No one's actually doing anything

I would love it though

Edge Of Tomorrow - 2014

Last of the original Cruise sci-fi yokes, which is a pity - people only like franchises now
They work the device (plot?) really well, despite the obvious Groundhog Day similarities
Cruise is great, playing as much against type as he'll let himself anymore
Emily Blunt transforms herself into an action star
Bill Paxton, Brendan Gleeson - come on

3rd act is a little underwhelming, after everything that's gone before it, but it is extremely solid entertainment,which is what Doug Liman is very good at delivering

Even if you hate Cruise, you get to see him die over and over again

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

View attachment 13888

Ah it's class, really well done, yeah gets shitter towards the end but the first half of the film is a total fuckin laugh

Trolls 2: World Tour.

Grand. I didn't see the first movie so some of the nuance and plot intricacies may have been lost on me (and i fell asleep for about 20 minutes midway). There's some cast in it.

just watched extra ordinary. not bad, have to say. the acting wasn't always that great but it was pretty original, and funny

A Kind Of Loving, 1962 adaptation of the Stan Barstow novel. I totally loved the book (when I read it about 15 years ago) and never knew it had been made into a film until yesterday. Alan Bates looks disconcertingly like my dad did in 1962. Anyway, it was good but there was inevitable not-as-good-as-the-book disappointment there too. Like, they never even mentioned the record shop.

The oblong box (1969) Recorded off true movies 1, (I always wondered if anyone watched these channels)
Old Brit style horror made by AIP with Vincent Price, Christopher Lee & a young, beautiful Sally Geeson. Good acting, well made, looks good, good soundtrack but the story was a bit ponderous. Not bad over all.

Hilary Dwyer who plays Elizabeth died recently. A victim of covid19.

Calm With Horses

so good. so sad. so grim. so plausible. poor the mens :(

The short story it was based on had stuck with me for a few years so glad to see they hadn't messed up the adaptation.

Yesterday.

I found this to be deeply unsatisfying and far less than the sum of its parts. Sets up its premise almost like an extended twilight zone or tales of the unexpected episode, then just doesn’t do anything remotely interesting with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Activity
    So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
    Bello Bar
    1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
    Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
    Bello Bar
    1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
    Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
    Vicar Street
    58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
    Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
    Anseo
    18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
    Back