Gardening (1 Viewer)

going more amish by the day

A lot of that Amish business is pure PR, and groups of men having carte blanch to treat women like shit, I learned.
Sadly enough.

Not that I'm going to be gatekeeping Amish, but... there's a lot of things going on outside for show, and then it's inside while the Missus cooks you dinner and the Da plays Playstation online.

Some of them are still legit. You can tell by their hands, the serious guys have hands like vises, and fingers the size of your wrist.

A lot of that Amish business is pure PR, and groups of men having carte blanch to treat women like shit, I learned.
Sadly enough.

Not that I'm going to be gatekeeping Amish, but... there's a lot of things going on outside for show, and then it's inside while the Missus cooks you dinner and the Da plays Playstation online.

Some of them are still legit. You can tell by their hands, the serious guys have hands like vises, and fingers the size of your wrist.

Yeah i'm defo going television amish.

I don't want a farm, and I steered clear of all that nonsense. But a mate of mine bought a farmhouse out by Leap, and ended up with 30 odd acres of land. They were talking about getting rid of it, and I started pushing the native forest idea. Then I realised I could potentially do something similar if I was to end up with land.
i know this sounds amazing, but you basically need planning permission if you want to plant (i think) more than 0.25Ha of land with trees. some regulation brought in a couple of years back that even had the various government departments confused.

i know this sounds amazing, but you basically need planning permission if you want to plant (i think) more than 0.25Ha of land with trees. some regulation brought in a couple of years back that even had the various government departments confused.

Dafuq. I suppose that's one of those lovely Irish laws that's been written down somewhere and ignored from that point on, until some horrible prick decides his view from his holiday cottage is being blocked by a horrid tree or some bollocks.

Or are people out with their meter sticks, demanding some trees are cut down?

My inner dickhead would like to see how they define planting land with trees.
What if the trees just grew there? What defines "trees", how many trees / unit area?
0.25ha? If you have a gap of bushes splitting two areas of 0.24ha, does that count? What if afterwards a tree grew in the bushes?

sorry, it's not .25Ha, it's .25 *acres*.

Afforestation – an Afforestation Licence is required for all afforestation projects where the area involved is greater than 0.10 hectares (approximately 0.25 acres)

from what (little) i understand, that includes planting trees you don't intend to fell or make commercial gain from.
as mentioned, various bits of government are apparently looking at this SI going 'you want us to police and administer *that*?'
also, as part of the process, you might for example be asked for a report of the water runoff for the site, which usually would be done in march, april and may, i think. so if you decide in april that you want to plant, you have to wait till the following year to get the water analysis, which means you're talking about planting probably 6 months after that again.

as you mention, if you owned 20 acres and planted 15 of it in distinct and separate plots of 0.2 acres each, i don't know if that would apply. and i suspect, no one does.

or if you had 20 acres, and went hands off on it, but somehow a load of acorns got buried all over the site, does that count as 'afforestation'?

or if you had 20 acres, and went hands off on it, but somehow a load of acorns got buried all over the site, does that count as 'afforestation'?

WEll people can be complete dicks about it anyways:

This is probably the worst law I've seen in Ireland.

I feel like there's some prick whose holiday gaff has half a view of something via someone else's scalped field, and they weaseled this into law.

Ireland was completely forested over. It's now a half flooded, barren, pasture, leeching nutrients and fertilizers into the water table. Why? Because fuck you.
Native trees only help this. Who the fuck makes a law against trees?

Climate's fucked, rivers are polluted, biodiversity is cratered, pollinator population is crashing, but there's one TD who's got a bit of view of Hook Head lighthouse via this other lad's field, so fuck yiz.

This sort of shit drives me fucking crackers

absolute bastards

Councils are great for ignoring everything you ask from them or telling you there's fucking nothing they can do
The second you do something they should be doing, they're on you like a bag of hammers

I made a frame (shelves again) for the porch so it could be a little greenhouse.

Put thermometer there today. At waist height 24c, at the top 34c (2m off the ground).

This is probably normal for people who have greenhouses but I'm amazed by the difference.

Found out yesterday there's a company that will just come and forest your land with native woodland, and you don't need to pay them, they just take the forestry grant money as payment.

Then you keep the annual Teagasc stipend on top of that. In effect you get to convert land to native forest for free, and you don't even have to worry about the logistics of doing it if it seems overwhelming.

interesting. teagasc are an agriculture body, didn't know they'd get involved with a purely biodiversity initiative.

i would be curious about whether there are conditions of the grants being awarded, such as thinning, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back