What movie did you watch last night? (8 Viewers)

Toy Story 4. Very enjoyable. Didn't quite reach the level of emotional turmoil as the end of Toy Story 3, but still a rough watch at times.

This is weird.

We watched Personal Shopper at the weekend. I wanted to like it, and I did. Middle sequence was irritating.
annoying text message noises

I made my sister watch My Neighbor Totoro over christmas, she loved it. My dad was also there, going "wtf this is actually for children, what did I raise?"

My favourite Ghibli is probably Kaguya, you @anyone? I need to watch them all again though, no time like the present...

not to be completely on brand, but I watch them all at least once a year. my feel good fave is kiki's delivery service, of which I spent way too much money on merch in tokyo. my other faves are howls moving castle, nausicaa, and mononoke, but i feel like i change my mind fairly regularly.

watched Once Upon A Time In Hollywood last night

absolutely loved it. Went in with low enough expectations. The slight lacking of a bit of backbone to the story (which seemed to be a bit of a gripe from people in general I think) is completely held together by Di Caprio and Brad Pitt. The two of them were amazing. Both hilarious, especially Pitt. Definitely my favourite QT movie in a long while

Gretel and Hansel. Folk horror take on the Grimm fairy tale. Got some nice scenery - shot in Ireland I think - and a few creepy visuals but it’s a bit slapdash and full of folk horror tropes. The acting is a bit rubbish too. Would’ve been so much better if they’d hired better child actors like the kids in The Witch.

Red Scorpion very 80s and militaristic starring the guy who played the Russian in Rocky 4 His character in this is also Russian in fact he's the Russian army's No.1 elite commando. This is set in Africa and in the end he switches sides and joins the locals to blow up his own former comrades. That's what they get really for training a man to be the ultimate killing machine and then treating him like rubbish. Oddly enough there is no romantic interest for his character fairly dreadful stuff all in all.

Red Scorpion very 80s and militaristic starring the guy who played the Russian in Rocky 4 His character in this is also Russian in fact he's the Russian army's No.1 elite commando. This is set in Africa and in the end he switches sides and joins the locals to blow up his own former comrades. That's what they get really for training a man to be the ultimate killing machine and then treating him like rubbish. Oddly enough there is no romantic interest for his character fairly dreadful stuff all in all.

Dreadfully amazing is obviously what you mean

Red Scorpion was partly funded by a South African (apartheid) government
funded lobby group as propaganda.
it was co-written and produced by Republican Lobbyist Jack Abramoff.
(someone so vile you couldn't make him up)

Jack Abramoff - Wikipedia

S.A. still occupied Nambia at the time and were involved in fighting the
proxy civil war in Angola where Cuba in particular and some Warsaw Pact
nations had sent troops to fight with MPLA who were fighting the western
backed UNITA.
there was a power struggle between the two factions in 1975 after independence
and both sides who had similar politics but different regional strongholds
wanted to run the country when the entire Portuguese ruling/ bureaucratic
class left the country in 1975.
both MPLA and UNITA needed money and weapons, so each appealed
to different factions of the Cold War
it was only in 2002 when the leader of UNITA since pre-independence
Jonas Savimbi was assassinated, that the war quickly ended.

the Cuban's in particular were successful enough that they only left when
South Africa agreed to withdraw from Angola and Namibia in the late 80's.

a very similar proxy war happened in Mozambique after it also gained
independence in 1975 from Portugal.

I saw Red Scorpion on Sky Movies in the early 90's and it's total Cold War
propaganda nonsense.

Red Scorpion - Wikipedia
International Freedom Foundation - Wikipedia (American based S.A. lobby
group which partly funded movie)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back