Film chat (4 Viewers)

Make it stop!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Every random no-mark sticking their oar in

So I went to see this movie at a festival last week – Maggie’s Farm – not sure what to expect because once I buy a ticket, I like to go in cold.

Anyway, it’s a packed house cos it’s a movie festival, last screening of the night.
And the movie starts and it’s all these long static shots, about 5+ minutes long, where nothing happens.

First one is a nature shot, some trees. Ambient sound. Think Frederick Wiseman with no people and zero movement.
Next shot is some bushes. Same thing, just sound and a bit of a breeze.

Third one hits and it’s just a wall. It becomes clear that this is what it will be. Institutional scenes of some place in California.
But nothing’s going to happen; like the floor-mopping scene in Hunger is Michael Bay next to this.
Then I hear the first seat flap up, people have decided that it’s not for them.
The movie moves on to more interior shots; this director is big on empty corners and also unused stairwells.
But now with the regular flap of seats at every scene change; everyone has a different level of endurance.

At some point – couldn’t tell you how long in, time is just oozing away – he sticks a trash can up there on screen for us to ponder, and this lady behind me just starts laughing. Like the kind that you can’t control.
Her seat flaps up, and she goes to leave, but all the way she keeps remembering the trash can and then a burst of laughter and then a “Sorry, I’m sorry”.
She’s laughing at the film, at us, at her for being there.
She exits.
Then a quiet, and some yellow cinder block walls. Seat flaps.
At some point there was a long shot of a dumpster, that I really would have like the laugh lady to have seen.

And then more of the same.

Anyway, this film was not bad, just not what people were really prepared for.

But you get these rare moments when you go to films, where they become anthropological studies. How people react to art. How they behave when they feel the unspoken rules of a cinema need to be broken. How their brain makes them say 'fuck this noise'.

It was a little awesome.

The director was supposed to show, but had some missed flight.
But maybe we wouldn’t have gotten such honesty with him in the room.

Anyway, I wanted to share that.

Sounds like the most beautiful thing that director's ever filmed

Something like that

I am maybe not smart enough to snark on it

But like that ever stopped me

DAVID LYNCH SEASON AT LIGHT HOUSE DUBLIN AND PÁLÁS GALWAY

To celebrate the release of the 4K Restoration of The Elephant Man, Light House Cinema and Pálás Cinema are entering the strange world of David Lynch.

Film maker, visual artist, and occasional actor David Lynch has created a body of work that is threaded through twisted, satirical portraits of American suburbia with films like Blue Velvet, Inland Empire, Mulholland Drive, The Straight Story & Wild at Heart.

Throughout March and April we are delighted to present a full retrospective of the films of David Lynch, including a very rare screening of a selection of his shorts.

On Thursday 19th March, Pálás bar will be hosting a very special Blue Velvet Supper Club with a specially created David Lynch themed menu and cocktail. Tickets are €35 each and include dinner from Merrow restaurant, a cocktail and your ticket to watch David Lynch's classic noir Blue Velvet after your meal.

Join us as we the explore the uncanny and surreal world of one of cinema’s true masters.

Tickets: https://lighthousecinema.ie/events/david-lynch-season

and https://palas.ie/events/david-lynch-season/

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back