Bank charges (1 Viewer)

therealjohnny

Supporter
Solutions
A friend is trying to lodge a cheque -value 181 US dollars

The banks wants to charge €75

that can't be right, can it? Is there any way around this; Post Office or Building Society maybe?

that can't be right, can it? Is there any way around this; Post Office or Building Society maybe?

That sounds about right.

I used AIB to send money from Ireland to the US once and the fees ended up making the dollar value less than the euro one.
Got absolutely hosed.

If it's a personal cheque, he should ask the person to Paypal it instead.

That's mental

I'll suggest the paypal option

thanks

Either that or have the person get a bank draft already in Euro. It will cost them a small fee but they won't be charged the huge fee for needing to deal with someone's personal account overseas. I get bank drafts all the time in US dollars to send home/pay bills with a 3 euro fee.

Thanks guys. I am amazed at these charges..how..why...what the..

I need to talk to Joe

The bank has two options

1) Lodge the cheque in the normal way via the international clearing system. Your mate gets value for the funds straightaway and the bank take their chances. If the cheque bounces then the bank has recourse to your mate's account but he may have spent the funds at that point as it can take up to four weeks for it to be returned unpaid by the US bank.

2) Send the cheque for "collection" or special presentation. This involves the bank posting the cheque to the US bank with an accompanying letter and asking them to send cleared funds back (if the cheque is "good"). The US bank should send the funds back via electronic transfer to a general account in the Irish bank but they're not obliged to - they can just send a US bank draft back instead.

Option 1) will only be exercised for low risk customers. The bank is taking a risk by letting the customer access the funds now (in anticipation of the cheque being paid) so they're going to be selective in whom they do this for.
Option 2) presents no risk to the bank. The bulk of the high charge represent the US bank's handling fees. The Irish bank will charge a fee as well but it's not too much.

fuck sakes. i would have had €23 in my account today if i hadn't had a mild panic attack last week and transferred some savings over. im nearly 40.

Ulster Bank introduced new charges lately too. Adding up (for me) to around a hundred quid a year

Back in 1991 I (like a zillion other Irish students) worked on the assembly line in BMW Munich for the summer - had to open a bank account to get paid, didn't close it quick enough after withdrawing my last paycheck and ended up with a negative balance. Had to pay to close the account

I just got a text there now saying they're charging me €12.50 quarterly fees. I was under the illusion I still had a fee-free student bank account at the age of 43. Doesn't feel like the end of the world this week

I was under the illusion I still had a fee-free student bank account at the age of 43.
The deal I have here is that if I transfer my paycheck direct to my checking account, there are no fees
They get to use my money, and I get to use their ATMs

35c per go at an ATM seems excessive to me, tbh

Do Revolut and N26 have ATM cards?

Can you access cash with them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back