What gig did you go to last night? (7 Viewers)

Was working Whelans last night at Marcus King gig, shit hot band but the exact same deal with the crowd as described above. Downstairs was totally jammed and annoying, went upstairs and still couldn't see much but it was grand.

I saw that mentioned a while ago and considered it. He gets a lot of hype in the guitar mags.

Forgot all about it

The band were class but I'd much rather listen to them just jamming shit instrumentally than listen to any of the vocals.

P.S gig was also full of total melters trying to talk complete shit to me after the band finished because they thought I had something to do with the band in some way. Some fat bald Northern lad shouting total nonsense at me because he likes pints too much, yeah great mate, any chance you could fuck off out the door there, thanks.

I went upstairs and it was grand from there - got there just at the end of Percolator and it looked too rammed in the downstairs. They've moved the stairs since the last time I was there!
Managed to be up the front, it was grand there. Terrific gig. Even better than the last one which is saying something.

Recent:

Peggy Trundle (voice and piano live).

Really enjoyed this, played in a previous incarnation of this, but she studied piano and rearranged and re approached everything and it was lovely.

Arbourist:

Live show with guitar, violin and cello. I liked 80% of this, the string arrangements were really well placed whoever did them. Good as storyteller type gig though didn't' really take any tune home with me.

David Kitt:

Guy has some serious tunes, was sort of an almost acoustic gig. New record is still my favorite.

Disguise (last irish gig) and Game in jigsaw. Missed the other bands

Game were great. Been listening to them on spotify a bit so was familiar. Remind me of old uk bands like Health Hazard. Awesome.

Disguise were enjoyable but kind of shambolic due to gear problems caused by an over enthusiastic audience.

Need to find a new favourite current irish band.

great turn out. crowd gave DISGUISE a big send off.
all bands were really good.
fairly calm for OVERBITE (w/ 3 members of FIEND but on different instruments)
but by time FARCE played there was a big crowd there
and some 'em went fairly crazy for last three bands.
e.g. Eoin's glasses getting smashed.
great fun.
hopefully some of the DISGUISE folks will soon be doing something new.

i remember Mandy from HEALTH HAZARD's lyrics.
e.g. "the only thing i'd pay to see is them bastards choking." ('them' being Royal family).

Saw Sleater Kinney last night. They were deadly. 2nd time seeing them and was definitely the better gig. They were in top form. Played pretty much all of the new album and it sounds fantastic live.
Wasn't able to make it, good to hear it was good. There's about 5 of them in the live band at this point?

Perlee, record launch in Navan. They played in the Solstice Theatre on the stage. I mean actually ON the stage. They set up a small PA and had about 80-100 chairs on the stage. It was a cool set up, sounded great. They were deadly too.

Sleater-Kinney also. Thought they were great. I'm not nuts about the new album but it sounded briliant live. Like the 5 piece line-up. Gave the set a real variety. Better than last time.

I like the idea of them leaning into the new lineup and going somewhere else musically. No Cities Left to Love was fine but it was treading water for a band who had always moved forward.

Nothing will!

Also, I meant to come back downstairs and chat to you @rettucs but we got a little couch and I was feeling lazy.
ha, no worries, I was with a college mate who I hadn't seen for years. He had no prior knowledge of AWVFTS before the gig and his comment to me after was, 'that felt like the shortest gig ever'. So, either he loved it, or he fell asleep!

I was back up on the balcony. First time ever up there. The light show looked great from there, but the stage was so dark I could hardly make any of them (other than the strings) out.

I felt like Wiltzie wanted to chat a bit more but time didn't allow for it. Shame. He's very engaging when he speaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back