Giving Your Credit Card Details Over The Phone (1 Viewer)

dunderhead

booked a room for a couple of nights for a stag in May there earlier. Was in a rush when I rang the guesthouse and gave my details over the phone without giving it a thought.

with hindsight, giving your CC number and 3 digit code on the back can't be the most secure thing to do.

Anyone wanna reassure me and tell me I won't get fleeced. The woman I was speaking to didn't sound dodgy or anything, and I've stayed in said guesthouse before years ago and it was all sound. Been years since I gave CC details over the phone. Suppose without my address etc. it's useless anyway...right?

I think you have to give the three digits, don't you? I'm not sure... but you always have to provide it when you buy something online, I don't see why you wouldn't have to when you buy over the phone too. I don't get those digits.

booked a room for a couple of nights for a stag in May there earlier. Was in a rush when I rang the guesthouse and gave my details over the phone without giving it a thought.

with hindsight, giving your CC number and 3 digit code on the back can't be the most secure thing to do.

Anyone wanna reassure me and tell me I won't get fleeced. The woman I was speaking to didn't sound dodgy or anything, and I've stayed in said guesthouse before years ago and it was all sound. Been years since I gave CC details over the phone. Suppose without my address etc. it's useless anyway...right?
If you made the call - to a legit number - it's fine

Never give any details to someone who calls you

CC company will usually cover any messed up charges - but you should be fine with a guest house

I don't get those digits.
Just a extra layer of security for when you're not there present with your card - proves you have
In case someone has an imprint or photo of your card or got a long look at it on a counter someplace
Orif someone gets a bunch of card numbers from a data breach at Dunnes or wherever, they won't have the CSV number to use it
A swipe doesn't record it

Never give any details to someone who calls you

Yeah. Do not do this.

It seems the US is ahead of the game on this one, and my phone number is a gov number. They publish this number, and I get relentless calls to the point that I will not answer anything that I don't recognise.

They are all, each one of them, looking for my CC number. Not only should you not give anyone your CC number that calls you, you shouldn't even answer your phone. You shouldn't say a word to them.

And, to completely fuck up the point of the thread, we all laugh at Americans with their preoccupation with UFOs and flat earths and moon landings. But those same Americans are under a siege that I've never seen the likes of.

The US police are a crowd of rampant gangsters, looking for victims to extort. The TV is full of lunatics trying to scam them out of money. The fucking CHURCH, the place where you'd think you'd get some peace, is raising funds for the pastor's updated Lear jet. You can't answer your phone for fear of fraud. There's no aspect of American society that isn't frantically scheming for money.

Yet here we are, laughing at stupid americans, with their stupid obsessions. These guys will come for you too. The only reason they focus their efforts on other groups is they are getting better returns at this moment.

If I recall correctly they have no way of checking your name online either, you can put any old name down as long as the number and address match.

Anyway, yeah if you called them you should be ok, it's a bit old fashioned giving your number over the phone like that but if they have a card terminal they need to put the number in it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back