Wire - 154 (1979) (1 Viewer)

Couple of listens in here - enjoying it, although a lot of it a stand-offish "what they are doing here is clever and innovative and I recognise that" rather than a "wow, where have you been all my life" way. I suspect that if I keep listening parts of it will start to worm their way into my mind though.

A lot of competition for great music in 1979 as well.

someone said on the last page that album didn't really have
singles but 'The 15th' had 'single' written all over it.

Kidney Bingos (1988) is a classic pop 'should have been a hit' single alright.
maybe the video which had shots of a butcher chopping during the chorus
didn't help.

WIRE's label Pink Flag released expanded 3 CD editions of the first three
albums in 2018 but at £25 each i haven't bought them.
anyone got these and are they worth it ?

WIRE haven't been in Ireland for too long as well.

didn't help.

"The 15th" is a belter!

I have downloads of the expanded editions and honestly I don't think they are worth the money. If they come down in price, I'll get them but I'm happy with my EMI ones from the 90s with the few bonus tracks on them (I think they're just the singles from around the same time as each album).

And I hope Wire don't come back, I had tickets to see them twice and couldn't go either time because of two separate family tragedies. They're cursed!

I did see Githead when they played The Sugar Club about 15 years ago. They were good and I had a really lovely chat with Robin Rimbaud/Scanner afterwards, he gave me a little "Git-" badge.

didn't help.

That was me; yep i agree, on further listens, The 15th is closest to a single the album has; great track.

My band supported them at that; we didn't get reviewed too well! Was nice to meet them though.
I did one of my very first reviews (possibly one of my first live reviews at that) for brainwashed at the time. Looking back, young Cornu was not kind to your band. Sorry! (If it's any consolation, I'm cringing myself inside-out here reading my old writing.)

LOL there are no hit singles on here, get a grip you lot.

As i said elsewhere, a lot of these post-punk bands were writing wilfully difficult songs that twisted ideas around and reshaped them, all very admirable and well deserved of the praise but you're trying to have your cake and eat it too if you think a song that just about barely scrapes by as straightforward like The 15th is up there with Dreaming by Blondie. Maybe if they looked like David Sylvian they could get away with it.

I did one of my very first reviews (possibly one of my first live reviews at that) for brainwashed at the time. Looking back, young Cornu was not kind to your band. Sorry! (If it's any consolation, I'm cringing myself inside-out here reading my old writing.)
Haha, that's gas, I almost said in my previous post, I hope you werent' the reviewer!! :D All is forgiven; I actually can't really remember much of that gig!

LOL there are no hit singles on here, get a grip you lot.

As i said elsewhere, a lot of these post-punk bands were writing wilfully difficult songs that twisted ideas around and reshaped them, all very admirable and well deserved of the praise but you're trying to have your cake and eat it too if you think a song that just about barely scrapes by as straightforward like The 15th is up there with Dreaming by Blondie. Maybe if they looked like David Sylvian they could get away with it.
Cast this guy out! Firstly, comparing anything to “Dreaming” is unfair as it is the definition of a perfect song. Secondly, The 15th and Map Ref should have been number ones, it is the public that are wrong.

K, have listened a load, I must be on 6 or 7 times now. Some brief thoughts from Lili:

Overall i'm giving it a 5/5 even though it's not exactly what i'm looking for in music these days. I can hear a fair bit of the obvious lads in here, yer Berlin-era Bowies and yer Roxys, no complaints there. I get the impression that if punk hadn't happened Wire might not have been that different, they'd probably just have been given some odd name like "short-prog" or "art-guitar" something.

Their lyrics are very "clever," like little puzzles that people enjoy solving. I suppose considering I was yakking away about Sparks elsewhere I must enjoy that kind of thing on some level but I wasn't too bothered working out lots of the songs on here, and the ones I did work out I just thought "oh very good, clever."

I do enjoy the two "pop" songs on it quite a lot, I can hear a lot bands taking the pulse and production of Map Ref. 41°N 93°W as inspiration over the years, the keyboards on there are lovely as well. Very forward looking track.

It's not an album that has dated really, both a good and a bad thing, probably more of a damning critique of rock music considering some of the mad sounds coming out of hip-hop.

So yeah, I don't know where I stand on this. 🤔 I'm still more likely to listen to a bunch of other stuff from 1979 before putting this on but I don't have any complaints as such.

K, have listened a load, I must be on 6 or 7 times now. Some brief thoughts from Lili:

Overall i'm giving it a 5/5 even though it's not exactly what i'm looking for in music these days. I can hear a fair bit of the obvious lads in here, yer Berlin-era Bowies and yer Roxys, no complaints there. I get the impression that if punk hadn't happened Wire might not have been that different, they'd probably just have been given some odd name like "short-prog" or "art-guitar" something.

Their lyrics are very "clever," like little puzzles that people enjoy solving. I suppose considering I was yakking away about Sparks elsewhere I must enjoy that kind of thing on some level but I wasn't too bothered working out lots of the songs on here, and the ones I did work out I just thought "oh very good, clever."

I do enjoy the two "pop" songs on it quite a lot, I can hear a lot bands taking the pulse and production of Map Ref. 41°N 93°W as inspiration over the years, the keyboards on there are lovely as well. Very forward looking track.

It's not an album that has dated really, both a good and a bad thing, probably more of a damning critique of rock music considering some of the mad sounds coming out of hip-hop.

So yeah, I don't know where I stand on this. 🤔 I'm still more likely to listen to a bunch of other stuff from 1979 before putting this on but I don't have any complaints as such.
Pretty fair review overall, and mirrors pretty much how I feel about it as well. Glad to have gotten the chance to hear it too. I've since bought their current album, and Pink Flag as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back