Selling on Discogs - any advice? (1 Viewer)

The one time I don't double check a record before sending, the buyer contacts me to say it's on black instead of coloured vinyl. Luckily it was cheap enough so I just refunded.

Make sure you double check before sending.

someone in California after buying a record off me.

called into my local post office there re shipping cost. this young lad working there, seemed like he was not too sure what he was telling me, claimed it would cost 6 euro to get there. that seems ridiculously cheap. 1st class being 13 euro. again, seems far too cheap.

with hindsight Im starting to thing he might have misheard me and thought i was shipping within Ireland maybe. Sent a record over to Canada year ago. Pretty sure it cost 20 quid or so.

any of you shipped a record to the States before, if so, how much did it cost?

Yeah pretty sure I've sent lps to the states for around 13€ maybe one of the last was to Arizona for over 12 and that was a 2lp7" it depends on the individual item also since they are going throw it on a scales to get the cost which might go up of course.
Having said that I'm never exactly sure what to expect and I'm usually surprised what the cost is either way. I mailed to France recently for about 10€ and ended up refunding the guy because I made a mess cleaning the record which was literally mouldy. I'd kinda of consider the whole thing more trouble than it's worth these days even though I don't mind interacting with people there.

Yeah pretty sure I've sent lps to the states for around 13€ maybe one of the last was to Arizona for over 12 and that was a 2lp7" it depends on the individual item also since they are going throw it on a scales to get the cost which might go up of course.
Having said that I'm never exactly sure what to expect and I'm usually surprised what the cost is either way. I mailed to France recently for about 10€ and ended up refunding the guy because I made a mess cleaning the record which was literally mouldy. I'd kinda of consider the whole thing more trouble than it's worth these days even though I don't mind interacting with people there.
agree, it is more trouble than it's worth. Rarely sell anything online and only do so when I've a duplicate and it's worth decent money so that I can fund another purchase

Last one I sent to US I charged 9.00 but the post office only charged me 5.70. If I'm unsure I usually slightly overcharge and if it costs less I refund the difference.

Lp's are a really awkward size and the post office I use don't consistently charge me the same price,it's a pain in the ass. The rules are really vague as well which doesn't help.

Also,there is a whole new thing about how to label parcels to the US. I've not had to do it properly yet,but it seems a nuisance They want you to do it online and bring it in to the post office then.
I did send a cd,and the post office had me put it in nother little plastic bag,over what I had packaged up as they have to print a label for it. Sounds like they don't want you to use them anyway.
The staff were shaking their heads at it too.

Just looking back at other sales,had an lp cost 9euro,and sent an lp+7" signed for for 16.

lp's to europe generally cost me either 5.70 or 7euro as a comparison (depending on who is working in the post office)

Last edited:
Last one I sent to US I charged 9.00 but the post office only charged me 5.70. If I'm unsure I usually slightly overcharge and if it costs less I refund the difference.

Lp's are a really awkward size and the post office I use don't consistently charge me the same price,it's a pain in the ass. The rules are really vague as well which doesn't help.

Also,there is a whole new thing about how to label parcels to the US. I've not had to do it properly yet,but it seems a nuisance They want you to do it online and bring it in to the post office then.
I did send a cd,and the post office had me put it in nother little plastic bag,over what I had packaged up as they have to print a label for it. Sounds like they don't want you to use them anyway.
The staff were shaking their heads at it too.

Just looking back at other sales,had an lp cost 9euro,and sent an lp+7" signed for for 16.

lp's to europe generally cost me either 5.70 or 7euro as a comparison (depending on who is working in the post office)

What’s wrong with a bit of permanent marker on cardboard, like. Hopefully that labelling malarkey isn’t too much hassle.

Cheers for the info Gary

Marker on cardboard is my usual.

Apparently you are best using black on white,as machines do a lot of sorting and its read easiest. Using darker background or bright colour markers can be confusing. Fuck knows how a machine reads my writing regardless.

Post office does a little booklet with prices/dimensions/weights etc. Its much hardier than the online calculator I find.

We are probably due an increase too,I think itsusually February prices go up.

13 euro standard
22 euro 1st class to the states

dude went for 1st class. really wanted that LP

Have you posted yet? Any nuisance at the post office?
no, I had it clearly addressed on regular (brown) heavy duty cardboard record mailer using a sharpie.
She did have to log the address on the system as some new measures taken in the states but aside from that, business as usual

Anyone selling on Discogs.
When do you leave feedback?

Purchaser here -
There was discussion on the forums about this a few years ago. There were differing opinions, but there were a few sellers who mentioned always leaving feedback directly after the purchaser had paid, as the purchaser's part of the bargain was done at that point. I've noticed several sellers recently though who seem not to give a fuck about leaving feedback. Before that I'd often (maybe 60% of the time) get my feedback directly after prompt payment...which was cool as I immediately became an extremely punctual payer. I'd say reminders like you're getting are related to this...people getting used to getting rewarded for being good payers. I've had several sellers in the last while who have received their feedback as in your post above, and never bother to leave any feedback at all. It's all just internet bullshit, but it feels a bit rude after a while, especially as I've recently been mostly buying comparatively expensive records. As a result, I've decided now not to leave feedback at all, unless the seller leaves me feedback first.

Also, another 2 cents worth: The tone of feedback, in both directions, is daft.

I had a couple of asshole buyers ( I had to refund,and out of spite insisted they sent back the items which of course is at my expense) after photos, me being very descriptive etc and pricing to reflect condition. On both occasions they claimed the items were not as described. I now only leave feedback after I know the buyer is happy.
Assholes spoil it for everyone.

I have enough all positive feedback at this stage to not be too worried 498/100% positive,but I'd like to keep that going.

I've a mate who sells on ebay,and he often talks about buyers who pull all kinds of stunts. Although he sells mostly at the higher end of things.

I have a 100% seller record not such a good buyer some people I can't buy off because my rating is to low unless I meassage them directly. I think it's a pretty good resource regardless of using it a market place just to be able to check discographys and all the links to different labels and bands etc. The layout does seem a little basic but it works.

Y’all noticing that the wantlist daily notification hasn’t been working the last few days?

I turned my want list email off. Too much temptation and trying to cut down on buying records. Which has worked but now I’m buying more books instead!

As for feedback, I generally leave the buyer feedback as soon as I send the item. Sometimes you get a feeling about someone who is going to be trouble so I hold off until I know they have the item and they’re happy.

As a buyer I leave feedback after I get the item and play it through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back