What movie did you watch last night? (4 Viewers)

I watched The Gentlemen in the cinema. In contrast to the trailer, it's actually really good, Guy Richie making the kind of film that he's actually good at making instead of most of the turgid shite he's produced in recent years. A gangster film that's good enough to stay interesting throughout.
I was worried about this, but I'm going to see it this weekend anyways

Why does he do obvious shit like this though?

1579887678112.png
1579887692517.png

Today I watched Waves, and it was pretty class.
It's kind of about lots of things, but toxic masculinity is a big theme throughout, and drink and drug culture feature. Interestingly, privilege is part of both, despite the fact that the film is centred on an African-American family that would traditionally be considered automatically unprivileged; in fact, I don't get the impression that the film is particularly aware of the privilege it portrays even though that privilege is very evident throughout the entire film. In this sense it's almost a bit at war with itself, because it seems to want to portray this family as not being especially well-off, despite everything in the film saying the contrary.
Anyway, it's a really good film that uses interesting (experimental?) cinematography in concert with the score to convey feeling in a similar method to Terrence Malick (in technique, not tone), but weaves that more effectively into the narrative than he tends to do – less bodiless introspective monologues thanks. The main reason this works so well really is that the score comes from Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, and their music here is pretty seamless in providing platforms for the many pieces of music from other artists that are mixed in (mostly diagetecally).
Basically the score really helps the film work and with a poor score it probably would come across as a poor film, but it's got a great score.
So fuckin brilliant film even if it's covering ground that has already been trod before by many other films.

Really liked this too and totally agree on the sound. Shoutout for the song choice too - Frank Ocean, SZA etc

Oh and today I saw that David Copperfield film from Armando Ianucci. I think it's a really good film, I don't think it's particularly meant to be funny except in fleeting moments, although it does have an almost madcap kind of tone to it. I could write an essay on the music, which largely is excellent yet also functions almost entirely like muzak, being completely background and functionless. It feels like a really good musician has written what could be really good music if it wasn't totally subsumed by the other elements of the film, I think a lot of Marco Beltrami soundtracks are very similar in that respect. Anyway good film, it's not amazing or anything but there are a few really brilliant moments in it.

That's one of the things that seemed really shit in the trailer, but works a lot better with the rest of the film behind it.
He's also started nicking Wes Anderson's group shot thing

I liked it fine
Charlie Hunnam's inability to do a consistent English accent is a confounding hilarity
Hugh Grant is having a fecking ball and you're happy for him
Colin Farrell does well
I laughed more than a couple of times.

There were 4 people in the theatre, not sure how much money this will make.

Oh and today I saw that David Copperfield film from Armando Ianucci. I think it's a really good film, I don't think it's particularly meant to be funny except in fleeting moments, although it does have an almost madcap kind of tone to it. I could write an essay on the music, which largely is excellent yet also functions almost entirely like muzak, being completely background and functionless. It feels like a really good musician has written what could be really good music if it wasn't totally subsumed by the other elements of the film, I think a lot of Marco Beltrami soundtracks are very similar in that respect. Anyway good film, it's not amazing or anything but there are a few really brilliant moments in it.
Ianucci is on 6 Music right now talking about the music in David Copperfield

I saw Uncut Gems at the Lighthouse. I thought it was great, it's visceral and fraught from start to finish which won't be everybody's idea of a good time but I found it gripping. Sandler's protagonist is detestable in many ways but he has a kind of charisma and high energy that sucks you along as he goes deeper into a vortex of bad decisions. Synthesizer heavy score seemed anachronistic at first but works quite well I think.

I saw Uncut Gems at the Lighthouse. I thought it was great, it's visceral and fraught from start to finish which won't be everybody's idea of a good time but I found it gripping. Sandler's protagonist is detestable in many ways but he has a kind of charisma and high energy that sucks you along as he goes deeper into a vortex of bad decisions. Synthesizer heavy score seemed anachronistic at first but works quite well I think.

GO FUCK THE WEEKEND!!

Battle Of The Sexes. Bonkers to think that this bullshit actually happened. I'm old enough to remember Billie Jean King as a tennis player had no idea all this was going on in America.

Honeyland. This poor Macedonian woman lives in the middle of nowhere with her elderly mother making money selling honey. A nomad family turn up with all their cattle and brats and make shit of the place. Really good documentary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back