General election 2020 (3 Viewers)

AFAICS the greens achieved actually nothing the last time they were in power. Nothing that wouldn't have happened anyway.
from moose's post:
"In almost four years in Government, from 2007 to 2011, the Green Party contributed to the passage of civil partnership for same-sex couples,[32] the introduction of major planning reform,[33] a major increase in renewable energy output,[34] progressive budgets,[35] and a nationwide scheme of home insulation retrofitting "

... same with the Dublin bikes, the greens tried to take credit for those but sure they're in every city in Europe now

And look - I'm on the Greens side. I've given them my number 1 in every election I've voted in. I even went to a Green party meeting once intending to join up, but was put off by the number of wack-jobs at it :/

i find it strange to believe that - for example - the planning reform bill passed in 2010 was the result of willpower within the fianna fail party to do so. that would just be a drug induced hallucination.

actually, just found this, an interesting read on that topic, and its legacy:

Nothing I can think of. I thought maybe the insulation grants, but the UK has them too and there were no greens in power there Find energy grants and ways to save energy in your home
So they were just sitting on their holes the whole time? And they can't take credit for anything, even stuff that was probably in their election manifesto, if there was a precedent for it somewhere else? The UK have a far better track record than us on renewable energy and the like. Just because things were adopted there I would not assume that we were automatically right behind them. Again, I'm not saying the Greens did much in government but nothing....

this is the thing. much as i like saoirse mchugh, if she's typical of the new generation in the green party, she's probably managed to turn me from someone who'd always give the greens at the very least my second preference, usually my first, to someone who'll drop them way down the list.
what's the point in being a political party with a manifesto if you've decided firmly to be a hurler on the ditch and render your manifesto moot?

she's a great example of perfect being the enemy of good.

also, the soc dems have come out with a strong environmental manifesto, and i'd be more likely to vote for them now if i thought they'd consider coalition.

Well she's advocating forming a shadow cabinet, which would give people not in government some level of power, she's not just saying she wants to throw all her toys out of the pram if she doesn't get her way. The amount of people i've come across who say they won't ever vote Green again because of them going into power with Fianna Fail suggests not everyone is levelheaded and practical about this.

I'm wondering if Greens and Sinn Fein and a few friendly independents could form a coalition?

actually, just found this, an interesting read on that topic, and its legacy:
That is interesting. All of the Habitats Directive stuff in that bill most likely would have come about from EU pressure anyway, but fair enough, maybe they did do some good

So they were just sitting on their holes the whole time? And they can't take credit for anything, even stuff that was probably in their election manifesto, if there was a precedent for it somewhere else?
Dude, I very much doubt they were sitting on their holes, but no I don't think they can take credit for things that probably would have happened anyway

Dude, I very much doubt they were sitting on their holes, but no I don't think they can take credit for things that probably would have happened anyway
You know what I mean though, no? I think we're coming from similar starting points but are just arguing over the details.

I am just jumping in the middle of things here, but the difficulty for the Greens in getting in bed with a larger party is that anything meaningful on the Green agenda will be painful for those affected, so that group's lobbying effort will go straight over their heads and have it watered down to nothingness.
I mean look at the pushback on something super minor like a bottle deposit.

This is obviously also the larger problem for saving the planet - it's going to be a pain in the hole and people are lazy cunts. We're not capable of what needs to be done.

We all love Greta, but we love city breaks and driving to work more.

Being about 2/3 steps off being the entire oldest in my living web of cousins/family I'm taking time out of City breaks to give them a vague idea that 15 flights a year is really something that should require some thought. One of the 15 flights ones even would turn her nose up at a plastic bottle. I'll probably sneak back to Spain or germany at some point though.

Being about 2/3 steps off being the entire oldest in my living web of cousins/family I'm taking time out of City breaks to give them a vague idea that 15 flights a year is really something that should require some thought. One of the 15 flights ones even would turn her nose up at a plastic bottle. I'll probably sneak back to Spain or germany at some point though.
I'm working on changing my lifestyle so I can exclusively take trains and boats for travel (with my bike obv)

The Atlantic remains a difficulty - but not an insurmountable one

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back