General election 2020 (2 Viewers)

So the green agenda will be better served if the Green party have no power rather than some power?

I’d agree with Egg.
The greens and/or labour and/or any other minority party gov have historically fucked over their own voters to just be a minor party in a coalition gov.
They’d do anything like go against their own wishes just be lapdogs.
What in the fuck is the point of that?
Just being enablers to more austerity-like measures and rich people-friendly policies?
Fuck that. Pointless.
They’d deserve more respect not bending over a barrel for FFF / majority party in coalition

it's the grand quandary of coalition governments. go into power with a larger partner, possibly mitigate some of damage they'd do, but be labelled as traitors for enabling what they couldn't stop.

would we be better off with an unfettered FF, or one where the greens/Lab/whoever, get to slip some of their policies in as a price for going into government?

it's the grand quandary of coalition governments. go into power with a larger partner, possibly mitigate some of damage they'd do, but be labelled as traitors for enabling what they couldn't stop.

would we be better off with an unfettered FF, or one where the greens/Lab/whoever, get to slip some of their policies in as a price for going into government?

Let FFG inflict everything so badly that no one but them can be blamed.
I cannot see any benefit of the smaller party in that type of coalition

Unless one of the partners in the coalition was the newly formed 'Natzee' party or some shit

Good thing you'd never have that in Ireland!

1920px-O%27Duffy_Blue_Shirt_Movement_fascist_salute.jpg

I’d agree with Egg.
The greens and/or labour and/or any other minority party gov have historically fucked over their own voters to just be a minor party in a coalition gov.
They’d do anything like go against their own wishes just be lapdogs.
What in the fuck is the point of that?
Just being enablers to more austerity-like measures and rich people-friendly policies?
Fuck that. Pointless.
They’d deserve more respect not bending over a barrel for FFF / majority party in coalition
Couldn't disagree more. Minority partners only get nothing out of a coalition if they're shit. Look at what a skilled politician like Parnell got for Home Rule out of Gladstone for example. Barking from the opposition benches achieves the square root of fuck all. If you have the opportunity to go into government but choose not to because you think it might lose you your seat in the next election, you are a coward.

Let FFG inflict everything so badly that no one but them can be blamed.
I cannot see any benefit of the smaller party in that type of coalition
That's fanciful but not going to happen. FF/FG are about the only parties who could choose to sit out a term in office if they felt it wasn't the right time; their base is so big and ultimately power is their only goal. How they will use that power changes day to day. If you are a newer, smaller party with a more cohesive agenda, the onus is on you to advance that every chance you get because you may not get another. But also because the issues you are promoting would be pressing ones.

I’ll say it again,

Bar the ancient single example hermie gave,
what meaningful difference has any minority government party made in a coalition?
Tonnes of examples. Look at what Tony Gregory got out of that snake Charlie Haughey for the impoverished of inner-city Dublin. The DUP obviously had a crazy agenda but you can't deny the power they had over Theresa May.

not exactly a plethora of great examples
Haha, I'm sorry you don't like my examples. Here's a simple one for you. The Scottish Green Party supported Alex Salmond as First Minister of Scotland and in return got this piece of legislation pushed through

Scotland are way ahead of us in terms of green policy, in part because of this..

Haha, I'm sorry you don't like my examples. Here's a simple one for you. The Scottish Green Party supported Alex Salmond as First Minister of Scotland and in return got this piece of legislation pushed through

Scotland are way ahead of us in terms of green policy, in part because of this..

I was hoping for Irish examples since we are talking about Irish government and Irish elections

I was hoping for Irish examples since we are talking about Irish government and Irish elections
Two of the four were Irish. The others were NI and Scotland, hardly distant shores.

Probably time you provided evidence of all that wonderful legislation pushed through by politicians who weren't in government.

Two of the four were Irish. The others were NI and Scotland, hardly distant shores.

Probably time you provided evidence of all that wonderful legislation pushed through by politicians who weren't in government.

ONE was of this country, no?

Pushing through just one of your many ‘good’ policies doesn’t seem worth it to roll over.
Just seems to backfire and make the smaller party look weak and In the long run, lose seats the following election.
So desperate to get in that they bend too much to the bigger party.
Still just not worth it IMHO
Remember Labour / water scandal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back