Crimes against guitars.... (2 Viewers)

Only for the most brave

Whats going on here?
Recently, a mysterious video documenting hundreds of Gibson Firebird X guitars being lined up and run over by a heavy construction vehicle popped up online. The guitar community began questioning the clip’s origins, as well as the reasoning behind the destruction, and now Gibson has released a statement explaining the action, stating that the guitars in question were an “isolated batch of Firebird X models built in 2009-2011 which were unsalvageable and damaged with unsafe components."

The company continued, "This isolated group of Firebird X models were unable to be donated for any purpose and were destroyed accordingly.”

As has since been revealed, the video in question was shot and posted by a former Gibson employee, BJ Wilkes, who backed the company’s explanation in an interview with the Guitalogist, saying that the incident took place following the ouster of former Gibson CEO Henry Juszkiewicz. “They literally could not sell these guitars and they were on the books,” Wilkes said, adding that “investors were all trying to clean up the mess before the end of the fiscal year.”

Indeed, the Firebird X, which featured all manner of bizarre electronics, including robot tuners and Bluetooth accessories, was one of the company’s missteps under Juszkiewicz. Wilkes calls it a “horrible guitar with too much technology all based on Windows 98 or something.”

The Firebirds in the video were unable to be repurposed. “There was just so much stuff in so many different places, the wood was pretty unusable,” Wilkes says.

Apparently Gibson claimed they were unsafe as well ,so who knows?
But that model seemed universally hated,and it was claimed to be cheaper to destroy than reuse the parts.

Mad .

Although bluetooth equipped guitars?

yaeh..squash em

The headstock angle doesn't affect tuning if anything it helps improve the break angle across the nut hence why Fender and other non angled headstocks have to have string trees.

I'd bet money a decent set up will solve all your tuning stability problems. As Gary said it's most likely the nut that's the issue. Getting properly cut nuts for my guitars has been the best thing I've done with any of them.

I thought the tuning issues with Gibson style 3X3 guitars was more to do with the angle the D & G (mainly the G) strings leave the nut? The previously mentioned string butler is supposed to work well for this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back