What television series are you currently making your way through? (11 Viewers)

Girlfriend lives not to far away so with Dracula in our minds what with the new BBC series we went and had a gawk at Stoker's house at the weekend.

No blue plaque or anything, the residents probably don't want to attract too many goths. (He grew up in a spite building, the entire row of houses was designed and built as a fuck you to some toff)

I don't think FFC's version was all that faithful despite being nominally 'Bram Stoker's' Dracula.
It’s a long time since I saw it but I thought it was fairly close to the book from memory? I must watch it again. And read it again (though it’s not that long since I read it but it’s always worth going back to).

I watched the film and then read the book a bit later and remember thinking at the time they weren't all that similar. It is ages ago and I suppose it's all relative. Some adaptations only bear a passing resemblance to the novel. I guess Gary Oldman's big bulbous head and Keanu Reeves going "woah" maybe coloured this opinion more than what actually happens.

Girlfriend lives not to far away so with Dracula in our minds what with the new BBC series we went and had a gawk at Stoker's house at the weekend.

No blue plaque or anything, the residents probably don't want to attract too many goths. (He grew up in a spite building, the entire row of houses was designed and built as a fuck you to some toff)

Is that the oul Marino crescent?

The Dracula book is actually great, read it a bunch of years back. Fairly easy read too. Some of the screen versions work really well, others are shit, depends which you see.
Yeah it's amazing, although I was destroyed recently by some proper literary types for suggesting it was better than Frankenstein.

I wouldn't really say either is better than the other, I think they're different enough that some people will like one better and some people will like the other better, but in terms of quality I would put them right beside each other.

I wouldn't really say either is better than the other, I think they're different enough that some people will like one better and some people will like the other better, but in terms of quality I would put them right beside each other.

I personally much prefer Frankenstein, but both are fabulous.
Right, both books are going to the top of the To Read (again) pile. I also have Shelley's other book The Last Man there for years, I'll give that a go while I'm at it. I'm not reading Stoker's Lair of the White Worm again, it was fucking terrible.

I watched the two part documentary, Jonestown: Terror in the jungle. Excellent. I knew the story but it's a really good doc. There fact that there is so much footage, visual & audio helped make it so compelling.

Right, both books are going to the top of the To Read (again) pile. I also have Shelley's other book The Last Man there for years, I'll give that a go while I'm at it. I'm not reading Stoker's Lair of the White Worm again, it was fucking terrible.
The Last Man is tough, TOUGH. Would barely recommend it, it's so fucking long and there's all this allusive commentary on contemporary political events in it that will be lost on anyone (like me) who doesn't have a detailed knowledge of the ins and outs of 18th century high society. You'd probably be better off just reading some criticism around it, which usually draws out the interesting stuff. They say the Lair of the White Worm is.... coloured... by Stoker slowly losing his mind to syphilis. I've never read it but the girlfriend used to teach it and she agrees with you.

The Last Man is tough, TOUGH. Would barely recommend it, it's so fucking long and there's all this allusive commentary on contemporary political events in it that will be lost on anyone (like me) who doesn't have a detailed knowledge of the ins and outs of 18th century high society. You'd probably be better off just reading some criticism around it, which usually draws out the interesting stuff. They say the Lair of the White Worm is.... coloured... by Stoker slowly losing his mind to syphilis. I've never read it but the girlfriend used to teach it and she agrees with you.
You're the first person I've come across who's actually read The Last Man, it doesn't sound promising but it would probably be better known if it was actually good. I'll still give it a shot.

Lair of the White Worm
is so bad that even HP Lovecraft didn't like it, despite the copious amounts of racism in it.

I really did not like the 3rd episode of Dracula. I'd heard negative things but was prepared to give it a fair go. I felt they crammed far too much stuff in. That dramatic change in direction was too much for one episode but I could imagine it unraveling over a longer series, and being more effective for it. As it was I didn't care for all the new characters, failed to see the attraction of Lucy and there was just too much "cleverness" going on, and the final scene was rushed and a bit silly.

Disappointing

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back