Miscellaneous Articles You Should Read (1 Viewer)

Well I just read it ok I skimmed over some of it quickly but the main jist seems to be that allot of culture nowadays is very fake and perhaps especially so for the young what with consumerism and companies and all that so fine ! I have no problem with the rant.

This whole 2 page argument about sam kriss being a good or terrible writer (my vote is he's neither) is very Twitter. I went against my hatred of him for 2 paragraphs, thought "why did you write this and why am i reading this?" and then closed the window. But thats just my opinion :giggle:

I read the whole thing, but I think that's out of a pathological need to finish things. I can't remember what the problem with Sam Kriss was in the first place but I don't think he's a good writer. His writing style reminded me that really over wrought style that's used on the quietus which I fucking hate.

Can someone please post an article that is written in a "good" writing style so I can work out where i'm going wrong here.

Well like for a start, a writing style where the author doesn't mostly come across as a smarmy cunt when you're reading it
That entire article hinges on the writer being a smarmy cunt! That's what makes it good!

No i'm kidding, I just can't believe we've descended into journal.ie comments section levels of chat.

I utterly regret posting that article, it's brought out the worst in everyone. I apologize to the lord, to pete, but most of all to the writers of the good Disney-owned intellectual properties that so keep us entertained.
I actually enjoyed it on the whole, thanks for posting!!!

Can someone please post an article that is written in a "good" writing style so I can work out where i'm going wrong here.

None of this is against you, you haven't done anything wrong. We just all hate Sam Kriss and his terrible fucking article.

It's interesting though, if a "good" article was posted up we wouldn't be having anything near this level of discourse about it.

None of this is against you, you haven't done anything wrong. We just all hate Sam Kriss and his terrible fucking article.

It's interesting though, if a "good" article was posted up we wouldn't be having anything near this level of discourse about it.
Whhhaaat. I never said I thought you guys had something against me! I just want to know why you hate it so much, so far Cormcolash is the only one to answer.

speaking of which

I know it's probably hard to write about Disney being fucking shit and not come off smarmy, but I'd say it's possible.
100% would not read that article, I want the smarmy guy having a breakdown. But fair response!

You only have to read the discussion about Dracula which is an okay series because basically Vampires are not as played out as Zombies... yet. Then you know your scraping the bottom of Vader's floating dustbin in the galactic cultural dead end.

I found it difficult to read and it was unclear what point he was striving to make. He spent too long showing off that he understands things in ways others don’t and it failed to draw me in because I found his viewpoint generic and without major insight despite his efforts to impress me. I have never heard of him before, is he usually intellectually impressive and this is a misfire or does he just desperately want to give the impression that he is a deep thinker? For me it has nothing to do with Disney or being a grown-up kid as much as it is an article that reads like a Leaving cert essay by the forlorn individual thinker of the class saying he alone is an adult in this class of children.

Also, unlike journal.ie comments, the discussion is pertinent to the thread topic. This is not an article we found worth reading and now you’re putting the burden of proof on us to convince you that it is terrible writing when you should be able to tell us why we should bother. To paraphrase you, I have yet to see a response that highlights why it is worth reading.

I found it difficult to read and it was unclear what point he was striving to make. He spent too long showing off that he understands things in ways others don’t and it failed to draw me in because I found his viewpoint generic and without major insight despite his efforts to impress me. I have never heard of him before, is he usually intellectually impressive and this is a misfire or does he just desperately want to give the impression that he is a deep thinker? For me it has nothing to do with Disney or being a grown-up kid as much as it is an article that reads like a Leaving cert essay by the forlorn individual thinker of the class saying he alone is an adult in this class of children.
He's usually about on this level, I don't exactly follow him closely but I think he can be an insightful commentator myself.

Also, unlike journal.ie comments, the discussion is pertinent to the thread topic. This is not an article we found worth reading and now you’re putting the burden of proof on us to convince you that it is terrible writing when you should be able to tell us why we should bother. To paraphrase you, I have yet to see a response that highlights why it is worth reading.
ah jeez now I WAS JUST KIDDING about the journal stuff, but yeah, fair point on the burden of proof. I've been avoiding getting some work done here but so i have to go do it but after that i'll go off and have a think and try and put it into words.

He's usually about on this level, I don't exactly follow him closely but I think he can be an insightful commentator myself.

ah jeez now I WAS JUST KIDDING about the journal stuff, but yeah, fair point on the burden of proof. I've been avoiding getting some work done here but so i have to go do it but after that i'll go off and have a think and try and put it into words.
Please have it on my desk by close of business on Friday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back