Unpopular Opinions (2 Viewers)

There were recent self congratulatory headlines about Donegal having the lowest penalty points . The fact that there are no gardai and no check points might have something to do with that.

Probably have the benefit of omitting cross border stats too, as good as cutting a major town out of any county.

This popular twitter comedian is a modern conal gallen style thing and proof that twitter ireland isn't a massive evolution from mid eighties ireland, if anything its a superimposition of conservative 80s culture on the internet.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This guy's opinion is probably pretty unpopular. Wondering what others' take is on it?

I think he might be on a wee bit of a lobby with that forestry stuff, because my completely unresearched and non validated opinion is that really A: telling farmers what to do while not telling supermarkets what to do is fucking bullshit and B: moving to a single product economy from a another single product economy is just going to require revision after revision and wide diversification (veg and animals and trees) would be the wisest thing to do, but we need people standing up to the supermarkets/megatores before this is viable. Land-wise its the most viable form of farming.

Moving to just trees is crying our for scandewigia to pulp the whole place into shitty firniture.

I think the headline is absolutely correct. If something is costing you money, and is hard work, then why in the fuck would you keep doing it?

FWIW I heard someplace once that it's a rule of thumb in large-scale manufacturing that in order to have a viable business you have to be able to produce something for one tenth of what it's sold to the end-user for

I think the headline is absolutely correct. If something is costing you money, and is hard work, then why in the fuck would you keep doing it?

FWIW I heard someplace once that it's a rule of thumb in large-scale manufacturing that in order to have a viable business you have to be able to produce something for one tenth of what it's sold to the end-user for

I don’t think that’s a rule of thumb for all industries;

A new Citroen Berlingo is €16,800 (incl VAT).

Are you telling me that this successful car manufacturer is making these cars for €1,680?

I definitely agree that some farmers should consider giving up the ghost. Particularly beef farmers because it's not profitable and so damaging to the environment. What I'm a bit more uncomfortable with is the notion that small farmers en masse should just give up and leave it to the big guys. See here for a counter argument

Heh, no idea dude, I'm just repeating what I heard. Maybe it's just for less complex products?
Too many maybes. A ‘rule of thumb’ doesn’t really work for a variety of product manufacturing then.
Maybe the people you heard some place were being specific to a particular industry or market

See here for a counter argument
Even though I love Saoirse McHugh I'm not that clear on what she's suggesting here ... is it subsidies for agro-forestry, organic and mixed cropping? I'm all for those things, but ... well, if land isn't suitable for intensive farming, might it be better to just let it go wild?

There were recent self congratulatory headlines about Donegal having the lowest penalty points . The fact that there are no gardai and no check points might have something to do with that.

The Gards are needed to catch people in Dublin on their way to the office at 8am after staying up late with a bottle of wine

There's no money to be made on fines in DOnegal, Johnny.
Dublin's where it's at for juking all the stats..

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back