Racism in Ireland (3 Viewers)

I would define Gougers as lower class trouble maker scum with criminal leanings. They usually have ronnie mustaches & wear sovereign rings. They are big fans of Aslan, UB40 & rave music.

I would define Gougers as lower class trouble maker scum with criminal leanings. They usually have ronnie mustaches & wear sovereign rings. They are big fans of Aslan, UB40 & rave music.
One of my friends from school growing up used to say that he wanted to organise a free UB40 concert and then blow up the building with everyone in there

He is now a senior Gard

True story

This was kinda funny to me as a teen. Less so now.

Last edited:
The caste system is fascinating outside of its actual effects.
It is certainly interesting where you can have the effects of racism without race being involved

A lot of the shit people talk down about the working class in Ireland, is basically the language of racism where I am in the US
Scroungers
Lazy doleys
Criminals
Unmarried mothers
Drinkers
Etc etc

A willing misundertsanding of cause and effect

Erm ... well if a great deal of the 83% of agricultural land that's used to grow meat just cannot be used to grow plants instead then it is relevant, no? I don't understand what your last sentence is saying
You think a great deal of that land cannot be used for crops? And the reason you think this is because you find it tough to grow veggies out your back?

The last point was that animal agriculture (and beef farming in particular) is terribly damaging to the environment, not to mention a terribly inefficient way to sustain ourselves. Land is a precious resource so just because it can be used for pasture doesn't mean it should. It could be rewilded or go to serve other industries or used in a myriad of other ways that aren't so damaging and inefficient.

Sorry I think that sounds way more combative and preachy than I mean it to be but I can't be arsed rephrasing.

There was some guy (possibly a politician) getting bent out of shape because someone used the derogatory term "culchie" on twitter last week

I watched this 60's documentary about the slums in Nottingham recently, would recommend, the fucking misery of it

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

fascinating how it's the same old shit from those on top. "They must be doing fine because they have a tv" Joan Burton stuff. It's considerably more sympathetic to being poor than anything made these days though.

Last edited:
My experience has been that southsiders and people that speak like they belong to a rugby club, call anyone wearing a tracksuit or acting shifty, a ‘knacker’
But I am far from the authority on this
Dislike for the inference any member of a rugby club is a bigot. Sorry I think I'm a bit touchy today for reasons unknown to myself.

You think a great deal of that land cannot be used for crops? And the reason you think this is because you find it tough to grow veggies out your back?
And the reason you think it can be used for crops is ... ?

My veggies example was an illustration. This shit is way more complex that "hey, let's use the 83% of agricultural land used for meat to grow beans instead!". Farmers are not total morons - growing spuds or wheat pays way better than beef, don't you think my neighbours would be doing that instead of raising a few cattle if they could?

It's labour-intensive, and probably costs more than we save even without factoring in the time spent

Fair play, I think its really cool that you do this - kinda hope to do a bit more myself over the coming years (mostly spuds going on here) - we have very crap soil here too. Its a tangent for sure but I've become way more aware of the value of skills in the past year or two, like as you say its kinda costly to do but simultaneously investment in the self. I keep thinking about my grandmother whos house was essentially a small bread factory with a sideline in free range chicked and organic veg, that knowledge kinda slipped past my parents and now I'm going looking for it. Its probably worth putting some kinda monetary value on it in some way.

Dislike for the inference any member of a rugby club is a bigot. Sorry I think I'm a bit touchy today for reasons unknown to myself.
Just the speech patterns

I grew up in Ballybough and Coolock and I'm bigoted against that Blackrock enunciation

My own stuff. Like I said, not an expert.

It is certainly interesting where you can have the effects of racism without race being involved

A lot of the shit people talk down about the working class in Ireland, is basically the language of racism where I am in the US
Scroungers
Lazy doleys
Criminals
Unmarried mothers
Drinkers
Etc etc

A willing misundertsanding of cause and effect

Coincidental that the guy who wrote that "how the Irish became white" book passed away this week, I saw a couple of tweets yesterday by people talking about how reading that book opened their eyes to what I suppose would now be referred to the intersectionalities (was intersectionalism a thing in 1995?) relating to "whiteness" (as opposed to just being pale as fuck) and class.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back