thumped self portrait festival of strangeness - aka The Selfies Thread (2 Viewers)

Phil! We must catch up!

I dunno Gannon. By the looks of that photo in the Indo you've been aging backwards for the last while.

I'm assuming you're in league with the Devil or a fully paid up member of The DUP Time Traveling Society, and dedicating your life to time traveling adventures.

In both cases I'm going to need a reference.

Stuff not safe / fire-certified.
That and not being built properly to begin with.
Also Not owning below your floor or above ceiling, having to contend with being locked into paying extortionate management fees etc
imagine you were living in Dublin (shit, granted) and the apartments were magically not built badly / death traps surrounded by asbestos dusted kindling soaked in petrol.

The cunts above you may or may not be cunts. That's just one you have to roll the dice on. (Thing is, if they are, you can just move.) If you could get to your job (bold of me to assume any cunt would hire you) in around 15 mins, and pay 15% of your earnings on rent;

wouldja?

Remember, you've no personal garden (you have a shared one), you've no personal roof, you have to pick up your post with every other cunt downstairs, you hear neighbours at times, and you can't give your gaff free of charge to your nippers to help them on in life.

imagine you were living in Dublin (shit, granted) and the apartments were magically not built badly / death traps surrounded by asbestos dusted kindling soaked in petrol.

The cunts above you may or may not be cunts. That's just one you have to roll the dice on. (Thing is, if they are, you can just move.) If you could get to your job (bold of me to assume any cunt would hire you) in around 15 mins, and pay 15% of your earnings on rent;

wouldja?

Remember, you've no personal garden (you have a shared one), you've no personal roof, you have to pick up your post with every other cunt downstairs, you hear neighbours at times, and you can't give your gaff free of charge to your nippers to help them on in life.

Sorry I thought I was clear, unless it’s a stupidly high spec place at low costs, nope not a hope in hell

Sorry I thought I was clear, unless it’s a stupidly high spec place at low costs, nope not a hope in hell

I was trying to sweeten the deal, or be more precise.

It's a strangely Irish attitude though. In Denmark, Norway, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Hungary, Singapore, and the US, people are fine with living in decent apartments. (I'm only naming those countries because I've had experience with them, I'm sure there's more.)

There's no stigma, there's not really any issue. It's normal, living in a house is weird and more for the very wealthy. In Ireland (and the UK), we seem to want our own little gaffs, with our own wall around it. People won't build decent apartments in Ireland because they believe that people don't want them.

So you end up with this insane parking lot traffic and people commuting in from their tiny gaff in Carlow or some shit.

And the response is: ah, yeah, let's build more roads.

The response should be: let's subsidise apartment buildings in big cities. Keep building in hubs until demand is met.

But, Irish people don't seem to want them.

It's a strangely Irish attitude though. In Denmark, Norway, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Hungary, Singapore, and the US, people are fine with living in decent apartments. (I'm only naming those countries because I've had experience with them, I'm sure there's more.)

There's no stigma, there's not really any issue. It's normal, living in a house is weird and more for the very wealthy. In Ireland (and the UK), we seem to want our own little gaffs, with our own wall around it. People won't build decent apartments in Ireland because they believe that people don't want them.

So you end up with this insane parking lot traffic and people commuting in from their tiny gaff in Carlow or some shit.

The response should be: let's subsidise apartment buildings in big cities. Keep building in hubs until demand is met.

If apartments here were built to the higher standard they have in the mainland Europe, a lovely shared kept garden and you weren’t gouged by a management company annually for fuck all return, I’d absolutely consider it.
Like I said, if I could get a ‘high end’ apartment at a low price I would consider it

Went toa few seminars about this over the years.

The guy was saying what he finds most perplexing about the irish is that we all want a postage stamp sized lawn with basically no function whatsoever. I actually have one for the record.

If apartments here were built to the higher standard they have in the mainland Europe, a lovely shared kept garden and you weren’t gouged by a management company annually for fuck all return, I’d absolutely consider it.
Like I said, if I could get a ‘high end’ apartment at a low price I would consider it

OK. That was my point. What would change your mind.

I don't believe that it's beyond our ability to build decent apartments. Ireland is not in some alternative universe without any connection to Europe, where basically every other country knows about building apartments. There's no need for gold plated jacks, just solid, decent apartments like every major city in the world has.

If the Government stepped in with subsidies then there's going to be savings elsewhere, as well as there being massive increase in quality of life for everyone not having to endure these insane commutes.

Dublin etc is not a unique problem. Other than the UK, every other country in Europe pretty much has solved this problem. Ireland has decided to ignore all of these solutions, and are presumably waiting for teleporters to be invented.

Went toa few seminars about this over the years.

The guy was saying what he finds most perplexing about the irish is that we all want a postage stamp sized lawn with basically no function whatsoever. I actually have one for the record.

oh yeah?

Honestly it wasn't even my idea. It was Billy Gannon, or this other lad Andy that mentioned it to me as were walking somewhere. It had never occurred how brain dead the Irish solution to the problem was until they pointed it out to me.

Since then it's been annoying the shit out of me.

OK. That was my point. What would change your mind.

I don't believe that it's beyond our ability to build decent apartments. Ireland is not in some alternative universe without any connection to Europe, where basically every other country knows about building apartments. There's no need for gold plated jacks, just solid, decent apartments like every major city in the world has.

If the Government stepped in with subsidies then there's going to be savings elsewhere, as well as there being massive increase in quality of life for everyone not having to endure these insane commutes.

Dublin etc is not a unique problem. Other than the UK, every other country in Europe pretty much has solved this problem. Ireland has decided to ignore all of these solutions, and are presumably waiting for teleporters to be invented.

youre bang on with that. its a pity this government just simply do not give a flying fuck about peoples housing needs

youre bang on with that. its a pity this government just simply do not give a flying fuck about peoples housing needs

We have proportional rep voting. If someone was to start a ~single issue party, the Sorting Out Gaffs in Ireland Party, they might get traction.

Housing is easily the worst aspect of Ireland that I can see. You mention that the apartments that exist in Ireland at the moment are shit, but most of the gaffs are shit too. It's not like these tiny gaffs in fucking Drogheda are marvels of architecture and engeering. They aren't. They're the same shitty little gaffs, only in fucking Drogheda. And you have to stay awake for four hours a day on the road to have to honour of sleeping there.

oh yeah?

Honestly it wasn't even my idea. It was Billy Gannon, or this other lad Andy that mentioned it to me as were walking somewhere. It had never occurred how brain dead the Irish solution to the problem was until they pointed it out to me.

Since then it's been annoying the shit out of me.

Theres a guy from the Europes who works in the college I work in who is pretty good on the housing/transport thing and I go see him when I can.

He *thinks* its a some kind of inherited famine based fear that we can recognise somewhere as a place to live unless it has 'land' even if that is 2 metres squared of dying lawn.

Another interesting thing he was saying is that people generally don't consider public transport outside a 500M range, which is known, awfully to european planners as the pedestrian shed, or the ped-shed.

He usually talks about german examples where they build the amenities first and then insert the housing. The model here is the opposite basically.

Also I stayed here for about a day during summer and I'll never be the same

This town is younger than my sister and nicer to be in than 95% of Ireland.

Also I stayed here for about a day during summer and I'll never be the same

jaysus. Fucking tell me about it. I was literally crying when I came back from Norway and face life in Dublin again.

Things functioned. Public transport existed. Gaffs were fine. Gaffs were near your job. You could make enough money in your job to pay for your gaff. I fetishised the place. The light switches were designed well. The windows didn't piss gale force winds through them. Heating worked.

The whole thing was new and amazing.

I was about to jack everything in, on the spot, no qualifications, no Norwegian, and try my hand as a prawn fisherman or something. Anything at all.

Gonna bore yiz by blaming neoliberalism again but its the case here. It is known, and proven, that the Irish government has been won over by flashy consultants for the development firms. No one with money is shilling for social housing.

The developers in turn want to run a "lean" business which means cutting as many corners as possible, hiring dodgy tradesmen, and building shit houses and apartments.

Couple that with the Irish post colonial psychology of loving getting one over your boss - of voting for people we know are crooks because we somehow still think this is hurting our master, the UK, and not ourselves - and we practically praise the lads down the pub proud of doing such a shit job at wiring (or whatever) the apartment, in 20 mins, while hungover. Not everyone, obviously, but enough for it to be as widespread as it is, as we see in our houses.

Couple THAT with our shit renting laws where you can be turfed out for no reason every 5 years, even if you had rented for 40 years, so people buy a house, any house, just for some security.

Couple all THAT with the fact that when i went to a mortage broker recently he was all talk about getting me on the property ladder and couldnt understand that i want a house to live in, you know, maybe with a low mortage for a long time, not just a first house before becoming a landlord....

There are so many factors, all bad, and all competing.

somewhere as a place to live unless it has 'land' even if that is 2 metres squared of dying lawn.
or else it's the 'rural' voters who are often just misplaced dubs who have moved down the country, live 4km from the nearest shop, just so they can justify buying a ride on lawnmower for their half acre lawn, even though they don't really like gardening; and then complain about lack of transport or broadband speeds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back