Question for vocalists/guitarists. (1 Viewer)

xsteox

Supporter
Question for vocalists/guitarists. Doing both in new band. Did vocals before but never with guitar. How do you do it? Are riffs and guitar changed together to be on time, or played separately, like in a polyrythym?

you need to be comfortable enough playing guitar to kind of forget you are playing it,

or just practice.

Record the riff and sing along so your voice is more independent of the riff. Then try both at once.

I'm sure there will be other tips too

Question for vocalists/guitarists. Doing both in new band. Did vocals before but never with guitar. How do you do it? Are riffs and guitar changed together to be on time, or played separately, like in a polyrythym?

I oftenfind that I can only sing the melody that my hands are playing on the guitar if it’s riffs.
It gets easier the more you know/practice the songs.
with changing chords I’d have to pick a specific word to accent that I change chords on to assist me and my rubbish timing. That’s how me as a charlatan copes with it.

you need to be comfortable enough playing guitar to kind of forget you are playing it,

or just practice.

Record the riff and sing along so your voice is more independent of the riff. Then try both at once.

I'm sure there will be other tips too

+1 on all this. I only really started doing both over the last year.

Also, practice along with a metronome, that way your focus is taken up with trying to keep time rather than overthinking about what you're trying to do vocally or on the guitar. I found this really helped me. And it's a good practice to get into because, even though you're going to have loads of little fuck ups, they won't be as bad as losing tempo or having to stop the song altogether.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back