Climate change global warming natural disaster freak weather etc. (1 Viewer)

In fairness, it is hard to see beyond your current lifestyle. In the countryside it's pretty difficult to avoid depending heavily on a car. Or 2 cars. If one of our cars vanished it'd be damn inconvenient, if both vanished we'd just have to move house.

edit. TLDR I'm not thinking of vanishing cars, I'm thinking of working towards reducing the need in a cleaner way.

My breakdown goes like this.

His statement was 2-300 people. Lets call it 250. We've about 100 cars for this many people at the minute. 1 car for 6.3 drivers. He is suggesting 1 car for 9-10 drivers. So facilitating the needs of a % of this population might be attainable.

Bear in mind of this number 25% are too young to be caught driving.

Go cars - Nobody actually owns a car but there are some about when you need them - for the weekend runs car this would cover it.

Working from home - more and more jobs allow this, and the civil service were firing shots about it in the budget. The need (sales pitch) for two household cars is heavily centered around one person not being able to leave work to share the car with the others.

Satellite working spaces. There is one of these in both my shitty rural hometowns now. People don't need to travel 80km to the big town to work any more.

School buses- like were the fuck did they go? Why is everyone requiring an SUV to trundle into ruralville elementary every morning?

Public transport. Its shit now, The service needs a lot of work but there are certainly a large amount of rural work runs to regional employers that are wasting space with cars. When I was a kid the factory in the sticks just ran a bus exactly like a school bus in the morning for my aunts to go to work in.

Bicycles. They work and anything up to 3km is no bother to 90% of people.

And the old self driving automated car chestnut. I use my car for about an hour on the days that If it could fuck off and drive other people around the rest of the time then a lot of those people wouldnt need car #2 or #1.

*me (people with bus passes).

I'm not saying that the green fashes should just confiscate the cars the in the morning, I'm saying its an approachable goal within the technological age we are in and the rural commuter life is not a rational thing that we should be trying to maitain.

Latest in Ryan probably not reading the crowd. Reading the comments gives a fair idea of where people are at.

I'm supposed to be working but I really want to dig the stats on the last time we had a 10% car ownership thing going on.

Very clear that people cant see much beyond their current lifestyle, not that its any more than maybe 60 years going. I dont actually think he's suggesting somthing that isn't achievable or a step in the right direction.

I think this really could work - in certain circumstances

People would need to move away from the idea of a car being a luxury item, and it being a big factor in the idea of personal space.

Like the idea of shared accommodation we have to remember that most people are dicks who will immediately abuse the system. "No you can't have the car, I'm thinking of going into town later..maybe" " So, I haven't a shower in two weeks, what's it to you?" " There's plenty of room for three average sized sheep in the back" etc etc

FWIW school buses still exist - both my kids get them (though we're 10k from the older one's bus stop, so we have to drive too)

That was totally in there because I live next to a very SUV themed school. It's even got a mini roundabout inside what used to a be basketball court. (They got a new court)

I think this really could work - in certain circumstances

People would need to move away from the idea of a car being a luxury item, and it being a big factor in the idea of personal space.

Like the idea of shared accommodation we have to remember that most people are dicks who will immediately abuse the system. "No you can't have the car, I'm thinking of going into town later..maybe" " So, I haven't a shower in two weeks, what's it to you?" " There's plenty of room for three average sized sheep in the back" etc etc

Yeah like mostly the reaction on ocean fm fb thread is what amazes me, mostly same old same old but the numbers they got on that thread are unreal. Long way to go really all considered. My interpretation of shared accommodation will always be 'it holds 43 people, 42 don't wash up'.

With cars i think the tech is mostly here already. Like my previously mentioned google maps AI thing that knows when I go to work and which pubs I go to and when. It could easily just be telling me the nearest shared car for your commute is 400M away, and it could be telling me where to park it within say 500M* of work so someone within 500M of that could grabbing it for something else. I'm sure they fuck around with this stuff in google all the time. Lots of scope for opt-in ride sharing on school runs and all that stuff too. I could be opting in pick up some person who is literally going the same way as me every day but we just don't know this. The internet (google maps) already knows all this stuff, its just not telling us yet.

*500m is specific in this case, apparently its the distance that most people think is the max reasonable distance that public transport should be from anything.

A woman in my work reckons "human population will go from billions to millions in the next decade most likely". She and her partner have moved to 40 acres in a low-climate-risk remote area in northern California. Some long posts from her on the work chat are bumming me out

... but, c'mere - if things did go belly-up entirely here, Ireland could probably sustain most of its population living the kind of lives my parents had when they were growing up, couldn't it? Population density is pretty low, most of the land is cultivable

A woman in my work reckons "human population will go from billions to millions in the next decade most likely". She and her partner have moved to 40 acres in a low-climate-risk remote area in northern California. Some long posts from her on the work chat are bumming me out
That sounds ludicrously extreme. How are 7 billion people going to be wiped off the face of the earth in a mere 10 years? I thought the general consensus was that, even long term, outright human extinction was unlikely. Just mass death, misery and suffering.

As a physically weak person who will be amongst the first to be murdered for his shoes if civilization falls apart I have to believe in saving society rather than retreating to a bunker that'll only last a month before the army drone bomb it or poison the wells.

I say that in all seriousness.

Ah here, I'm not advocating retreating to a bunker, just pointing out there are (very smart!) people in my social circle who kinda are.

If society really does look to be about to collapse, probably the most useful skill you could equip yourself with is learning how to make intoxicants. Nobody is gonna murder the only guy in the neighbourhood who can make MDMA

... but, c'mere - if things did go belly-up entirely here, Ireland could probably sustain most of its population living the kind of lives my parents had when they were growing up, couldn't it? Population density is pretty low, most of the land is cultivable

I think there is a kinda hybrid medieval/technological version of Ireland that would be amazing.

I keep messing with the theory that a lot of people (ie. my neighbours and most of the houses I pass going to work) just don't want to live in ireland in any shape or form. They want a cultivated acre based on whatever tv show with a large cot-like car to isolate them from ever making physical contact with ireland that brings them to manufactured environment to work/shop. They want huge indoor spaces to live in. They go up the local mountain 3 times a year (this justifies the SUV), partake in marshalled outdoor experiences, get angry about anything that means that they might have to actually have to spend more time in Ireland (outdoors, doing stuff). I kinda think about it like people who are in incubators after they are born just moving through progressively bigger incubators for life.

I should probably stop cycling to work.

Everyone join my medieval tech cult though.

Ah here, I'm not advocating retreating to a bunker, just pointing out there are (very smart!) people in my social circle who kinda are.

If society really does look to be about to collapse, probably the most useful skill you could equip yourself with is learning how to make intoxicants. Nobody is gonna murder the only guy in the neighbourhood who can make MDMA
Sorry, you misunderstand me, I was saying that i'm not convinced that the very smart person in your social circle has thought this through fully, not that you agree with them.

Like you I do wonder how Ireland would fare, we're relatively isolated but also couldn't exactly handle a Mad Max'd US Airforce if they decided they wanted to move here.

I was reading this there yesterday and wondering if it's the future

like, it seems to involve a lot more community involvement, but that does mean a lot more jobs (and meaningful ones at that). Is it a plausible future where we all work sustainable together through this kind of system but also we still have the technology to create plastic and whatever hi-tech stuff where it's needed, just not at the scale we do right now.

Is the montado system plausible in Ireland?

The obvious attacks on it are the usual ones calling it luddite stuff, or the dads will never get behind anything that comes between them and their car, but I remember hearing those same kinds of arguments when we brought in the plastic bag tax, or the Dublin bike scheme (people will just vandalize them! humans are animals and have no respect for public property)

Everyone join my medieval tech cult though.

we-should-improve-society-somewhat-yet-you-participate-in-society-19213023.png

FWIW school buses still exist - both my kids get them (though we're 10k from the older one's bus stop, so we have to drive too)

The school I work in,I don't believe I've ever heard any kids mention getting the bus to it. Mind you,most of the kids live within maybe 2km if not less. I've also heard kids say they come to school by car,then show me their house from the playground.

(100% not arguing the existence of school buses)

I also reckon most people could not give a fuck and so no matter how good the idea of sharing etc is, it's a long way from working. And yes,I am far from perfect.

I also reckon most people could not give a fuck and so no matter how good the idea of sharing etc is, it's a long way from working. And yes,I am far from perfect.

Same as - I'm mostly trying to think how ireland can change without changing a lot. That flare up in the middle east two weeks ago nearly put 20% on the price of oil. Thats the kind of motivation people are most likely to react to. Also younger people are more used to bike shares and car shares than we are, a lot easier to enter that market than trying to change the old one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back