Climate change global warming natural disaster freak weather etc. (2 Viewers)

Money isn't the only thing that motivates people. Politicians want to be be seen as reasonable and competent by The People, or at least by the people whose opinions they value. AFAICS that's a much stronger motivating force than greed, at least in Ireland

They're just busy bodies that want to be in charge of stuff, any stuff. They're like sheep dogs, their instinct is to run around directing things this way and that way regardless of what it accomplishes.

I think both are overestimation but that is like, my opinion man. We are 4 generations into a ruling class (of course there are exceptions and exceptional people that i'm disregarding) at which point contact reality has been bred out of them and a populist instinct has been apprenticed from birth. These people will do or say whatever their voting core wants, which based on yesterdays budget is people from 30-retirement who are not on minimum wage with children. They fear money and power (see oil, tech, big medical, leo being treated like a pleb by trump in shannon). Its a completely workable system so long as you are always aware is that the real fight is with the 15% of the population that they depend on for returns.

Problem solved, lads

Born Optimistic presents:
One Trillion Trees

Celebrating the role that trees have in slowing down the effects of climate change

Featuring a host of Irish musicians:
Caoilian Sherlock, Davy Lyons, Eve D’Arcy, Gavin Harte, Larry Beau, Lisa Lambe,
Luka Bloom, Mike Hanrahan (Stockton’s Wing), Niamh Farrell, Niamh McKinney, Paddy Mulcahy, Rhob Cunningham, Ruth Mac, Saoirse McHugh, The Late David Turpin, The Pale, The Silken Same, Tolu Makay, Ultan Conlon & more to be announced

8pm, Wednesday 6th November
National Concert Hall, Dublin

Tickets from €15 on sale 10am Thursday 10th October

I should point out that I think the above is decidedly unhelpful. Another founding member of ER has a much better take on it for me
Roger Hallam said:
Among the crucial common elements, he found, are assembling thousands of people in the centre of the capital city, maintaining a strictly nonviolent discipline, focusing on the government and continuing for days or weeks at a time. Radical change, his research reveals, “is primarily a numbers game. Ten thousand people breaking the law has historically had more impact than small-scale, high-risk activism.” The key challenge is to organise actions that encourage as many people as possible to join. This means they should be openly planned, inclusive, entertaining, peaceful and actively respectful.
From the article:

that guardian article said:
It found that 90% of the emissions attributed to the top 20 climate culprits was from use of their products, such as petrol, jet fuel, natural gas, and thermal coal.
Fossil fuel companies are behind consumption of fossil fuels! Erm ... isn't that whole article kind of obvious?

Fossil fuel companies are behind consumption of fossil fuels! Erm ... isn't that whole article kind of obvious?

Wasn’t to me. I thought more plastic factories in China would be bigger culprits.

A depressing read regardless; expansion plans and no real desire to stop from nearly all I think

Latest in Ryan probably not reading the crowd. Reading the comments gives a fair idea of where people are at.

I'm supposed to be working but I really want to dig the stats on the last time we had a 10% car ownership thing going on.

Very clear that people cant see much beyond their current lifestyle, not that its any more than maybe 60 years going. I dont actually think he's suggesting somthing that isn't achievable or a step in the right direction.

Decent rural public transport would go a long way

Lets all look at the old rail map again

map-rail-ireland-viceregal-commission-1906-stock-photo-140209501-regarding-irish-rail-map-1906.jpg

oldest i can find is that in year 2000 we had around 30% car ownership.

in 2017 we had around 40%

This is based on private car ownership stats and population, omitting work/agriculture etc.

Its actually more though I didn't bother subtracting about 30% not being people who drive due to age/ability.

Very clear that people cant see much beyond their current lifestyle, not that its any more than maybe 60 years going. I dont actually think he's suggesting somthing that isn't achievable or a step in the right direction.
In fairness, it is hard to see beyond your current lifestyle. In the countryside it's pretty difficult to avoid depending heavily on a car. Or 2 cars. If one of our cars vanished it'd be damn inconvenient, if both vanished we'd just have to move house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back