What movie did you watch last night? (8 Viewers)

Ad Astra.
Like it's pretty decent, but also it's not really about space or anything at all. It all feels a bit like some studio heads were like "Here let's cash in on stuff like The Expanse by making something that's got a little bit of that and a bunch of 2001, kching!"
Visually it's fuckin great and I might even go see it again in iMax maybe, but all the whole film really says is "Brad Pitt misses his da". I think the plot is actually decent in terms of moving the film forward, but the overall story is fairly meh, which is kind of annoying because ya know sci fi is meant to be all about the great ideas, and this film doesn't really have much in that regard.
The score is decent, somewhat predictable space movie fare but there's a couple of scenes where it's really good. Still, didn't really build much in the way of tension I suppose.
Oh The Suth shows up during the film and like everything he does on screen is still fucking class, he is one of the greatest ever.
Here's the real thing, it feels like a film that would have worked much better as a mini-series or full tv show, but they couldn't make it that because The Expanse is already there and The Expanse fuckin rules.
Finally, Tommy Lee Jones is in it and I was disappointed that he doesn't have a knife fight with a chef at any point.

Rambo Last Blood. NOTHING IS OVER!! NOTHING!! YOU JUST DON'T TURN IT OFF! IT WASN'T MY WAR! YOU ASKED ME I DIDN'T ASK YOU!"
Loads of bad guys get fucked up. A fairly silly film but what do I care, loads of people die in gory ways, all good if you ask me.

A Serious Man.

Was... decent enough I suppose.

Just reading the wiki page and lol'd at this:

"Ethan Coen said that it seemed appropriate to open the film with a Yiddish folk tale, but as the brothers did not know any suitable ones, they wrote their own."

So, a main character in this is a kid who gets absolutely blitzed on weed and listening to his music with a little player thing throughout Jewish religious school, and this kid is clearly one of the Coens as children.

And then they don't know any Yiddish folk tales to put in their film... heh.

Well I thought it was funny.

Last edited:
A Serious Man.

Was... decent enough I suppose.

Just reading the wiki page and lol'd at this:

"Ethan Coen said that it seemed appropriate to open the film with a Yiddish folk tale, but as the brothers did not know any suitable ones, they wrote their own."

So, a main character in this is a kid who gets absolutely blitzed on weed and listening to his music with a little player thing throughout Jewish religious school, and this kid is clearly one of the Coens as children.

And then they don't know any Yiddish folk tales to put in their film... heh.

Well I thought it was funny.
Their best film bar Fargo and Barton Fink

Their best film bar Fargo and Barton Fink

Oh yeah? You really liked it?

I think a lot of Coen films I don't completely get the first time around. I didn't get Fargo at all until I saw it accidentally again, then I realised it was amazing.

Certainly the characters were amazing, and it was funny. I did a fair bit of... wait, hold on, what???

Oh yeah? You really liked it?

I think a lot of Coen films I don't completely get the first time around. I didn't get Fargo at all until I saw it accidentally again, then I realised it was amazing.

Certainly the characters were amazing, and it was funny. I did a fair bit of... wait, hold on, what???
Yeah it’s a grower. First viewing I was like “that was dark and funny but slight” but much more rewarding on repeat viewings

I watched Don't Let Go in the cinema there. A cop starts getting phone calls from his niece two weeks in the past, a week before his brother's family gets massacred.
I thought this film was FUCKIN CLASSSSS. It's a deadly thriller with back to the future shit going on that builds and builds towards the end, the performances are all great, and the score/sound is really well done. Plus it has Alfred Molina in it which is a massive plus for any film.
I looked up the reviews of it there and they're mostly shit, and I just can't understand where all this crap is coming from, it's a fuckin great 90 minute movie that doesn't mess around. Some reviewers are just boring pricks.

giphy.gif

As I remember it my fave bit in PULP FICTION is where your
man starts crying and promises he'll try and be less sexist in
future and Pam Grier says:

" The path of the righteous woman is beset on all sides by the
inequities of selfish dickheads and the tyranny of evil men.
Blessed is she who in the name of charity and good will
shepherds the sisterhood through the valley of darkness
for she truly is my sisters keeper and the finder of lost souls.
And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and
furious anger those to attempt to poison and destroy my sisters
and you will know
My name is she who must be obeyed when I lay my vengeance upon thee !"

Has anyone seen the Joker yet? People say it's bad but these are the same people who said Wonder Woman was good so it's not like I value their opinions. Thumped opinions though, that's the real stuff.

I thought this was disappointing. Interesting premise but very repetitive; endless scenes of nothing but grass and people running. In the end it could have been a 30 minute Twilight Zone

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Bladez
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back