Jaysus cycling! (5 Viewers)

when you're stopped at lights, and some fuckernode comes past you on a bike and plonks themself in front of you. so when the lights go green, you have to pull out to overtake them, and then at the next lights... repeat to fade.

I think that's fair enough. Can be pretty hairy getting started at lights when beside cars or bigger.

A better technique though is not to stop at lights. Anticipate them and slow down so as to still be moving when they change.

I look over, with my most "can I help you officer??" face, and he's looking straight at me. He glances off up the road, and then back over. Makes an Obama Not Bad face, nods, gives me a thumbs up, and pulls off.
my favourite interaction ever with a motorist; i have a cheap single speed (bought in the rediscovery centre in ballymun) i use for heading out to the shops occasionally.
one day i was cycling home, stopped at lights, and a car pulled up alongside, with a guy about 80 behind the wheel. he sticks his head out the window, and i think 'oh, here we go again'.

'howya there, is that a fixie?'
'uhh, no, i have it flipped around so it's just a singlespeed'
'ah jaysus, why would you get a bike like that and not use it as a fixie, it's more craic'.

lights go green, and away we went.

my favourite interaction ever with a motorist; i have a cheap single speed (bought in the rediscovery centre in ballymun) i use for heading out to the shops occasionally.
one day i was cycling home, stopped at lights, and a car pulled up alongside, with a guy about 80 behind the wheel. he sticks his head out the window, and i think 'oh, here we go again'.

'howya there, is that a fixie?'
'uhh, no, i have it flipped around so it's just a singlespeed'
'ah jaysus, why would you get a bike like that and not use it as a fixie, it's more craic'.

lights go green, and away we went.
It was probably Sean Lally. (He's not wrong either)

seeing Federico Bahamontes on podium with Roglic today cheered me up.
the Eagle Of Toledo - 1959 Tour winner / mountains legend was on hand
when Vuelta visited his beautiful home town.
in his 91st year he was looking very well.

Pushing up to the front head of me at lights yet have no acceleration so I have to navigate around them when they turn green.
I had wondered if this happened to me soooo often because I'm a woman and they thought they'd be faster than me, in spite of the fact that they're frequently big eejits cycling with stupid froglegs, heels on the pedals, saddle too low and knees out wide like they're begging the world to hit them in the balls. Nice to know that they're not necessarily big sexist eejits who can't cycle.

It has also happened a surprising number of times that a man has pulled up beside me to educate me on what kind of bike I'm riding. I wonder do they do this to other men too?

I had wondered if this happened to me soooo often because I'm a woman and they thought they'd be faster than me, in spite of the fact that they're frequently big eejits cycling with stupid froglegs, heels on the pedals, saddle too low and knees out wide like they're begging the world to hit them in the balls. Nice to know that they're not necessarily big sexist eejits who can't cycle.

It has also happened a surprising number of times that a man has pulled up beside me to educate me on what kind of bike I'm riding. I wonder do they do this to other men too?
Probably nowhere near as often but yes. It's the strangest thing.

I'd never pull up alongside or do anything like that.

Normally I just sit in right on the wheel, doing fuck all other than give out about "glass crankers slowing me down all the time".

Maybe twice since I got a nice tourer. A fair bit on the train though.

This evening some lad outside the pub took it upon himself to shout stuff at me. I walked over to him and asked him what he was trying to say. He blurted some threat at me. I told him 'I'll break you in two you little shit'. He was bigger than me and about twenty years younger and he immediately melted into fuck all. It felt great even though I could have let it slide. 6pm on Tuesday evening, I'd probably have not noticed after 7 on a Thursday.

When lads (it's always) pull up right beside me and I turn and say "how's things?".

This evening I forgot my back light and left to head home just after eight. Had front light on. Some lad hopped off the path/pseudo cycle lane right in front of me without looking so I said in my friendliest voice. "You should probably look before doing that man". He shouts after me "you've no fucking lights". Dunno if he heard my reply which was "I have the front one which you'd know if you'd looked". I got a good laugh out of it.

cycling down ballymun road this morning, past albert college park - it's a downhill, was doing somewhere between 35 and 40km/h at a guess - a garda car passed me, and almost simultaneously put on his left indicator. i started to brake, as did he, and it ended up with us both stopped in the road, him waiting for me to pass him up the inside. i waited till he realised i was not going to do so, and away he went up hampstead avenue. what a colossal dope.

I'd never pull up alongside or do anything like that.

Normally I just sit in right on the wheel, doing fuck all other than give out about "glass crankers slowing me down all the time".
I looked up glass crankers but I still didn't understand this post.

I looked up glass crankers but I still didn't understand this post.
Sorry... the joke was that everything is a race for a lot of the lads on the road.

When I was racing there was a lot of talk of glass cranking (riding as if your cranks were made of glass/not pushing), sandbagging, not pulling properly when you're taking your turn on the front.

Basically, I wasn't very fast, and there were lads behind me saying this when I was meant to be doing a pull on the front of the group.

i thought glass cranker was rhyming slang
woah.

That... never occurred to me. Now I have to look it up.

Jaysus. Lads all calling me a wanker, me earnestly trying to persuade them I'm not... puts a different complexion on things.

"Glass cranking: A rider who is trying to look like he is working very hard but is in fact taking it easy is said to be glass cranking. Often a rider in a break who wants to save his energy for later attacks will try to glass crank to keep from angering his fellow breakaway riders."

That's not to say they weren't calling me a wanker. Speaking of which, one of the lads was called Willie Byrne. Might have been doing a bit too much glass cranking himself, wha?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back