The front line of the culture wars (1 Viewer)

Yeah Quilette though, they're fairly the same as Spiked.

I mean, both magazines have the capacity to have good writing in them, and have, but you'd want to try pretty fucking hard to convince me to read something in there because their stuff mostly reads like a Black Grape post.

You want to talk about the culture wars and you've never heard of Spiked?

fucking hell. fair play.

Yeah Quilette though, they're fairly the same as Spiked.

I mean, both magazines have the capacity to have good writing in them, and have, but you'd want to try pretty fucking hard to convince me to read something in there because their stuff mostly reads like a Black Grape post.

Didn't quilette delete all previous contact with a contributor this week because he was directly involved in US far right groups?

Didn't quilette delete all previous contact with a contributor this week because he was directly involved in US far right groups?
Andy Ngo

Yeah, all that Portland stuff comes across like a political sideshow to me. Let them fight it out if they want.

Are you trying to patronise me?

thumped is where you and @ann post explain the culture wars to me so I don't make too many faux pas at work
To patronize someone is to talk down to them.

Here is your cheatsheet:

Spiked - Free speech absolutists whose only other position is "the opposite of whatever the Guardian is banging on about this week".

Quillette - the same as Spiked but in the USA so it's even more sanctimonious about its own wounded self-pity.

I hope someday we can look back at this kind of shit and laugh about it

Jesus wept. Imma let this identity politics shit resolve itself over the next 10 years and then start to form an opinion-these people are like the first arriving on the Normandy shores- wading in to certain death no matter what position they take. Best to just hang back till the grunt work has been done...

Jesus wept. Imma let this identity politics shit resolve itself over the next 10 years and then start to form an opinion-these people are like the first arriving on the Normandy shores- wading in to certain death no matter what position they take. Best to just hang back till the grunt work has been done...

I've come to agree with my uncle in that most of these pricks are just the modern equivalent of the folks who'd be hitting you over the head with catholicism 50 years ago. Nesting in the zeigiest passing out judgement.

There does appear to be a resurgence in Catholicism right now, especially in the US "left" (vague term I know). Washington Post columnist Elizabeth Bruenig is one, ex-Guardian columnist Dawn Foster as well. I find it really hard going to deal with because I like their writing otherwise.

It'll be interesting to see if it catches on in the Republic or if we'll just stick with Tarot cards.

I've come to agree with my uncle in that most of these pricks are just the modern equivalent of the folks who'd be hitting you over the head with catholicism 50 years ago. Nesting in the zeigiest passing out judgement.
I absolutely agree. Jockeying for position in the woke community, same as our home-grown Holy Joes used to do

The way I see this playing out is kinda like catholicism too - the definition of virtue narrows so much that eventually almost everyone is only pretending to live up to it, and then when it becomes clear that everyone is pretending the whole thing collapses

Might take a long time though, alas

There does appear to be a resurgence in Catholicism right now, especially in the US "left" (vague term I know). Washington Post columnist Elizabeth Bruenig is one, ex-Guardian columnist Dawn Foster as well. I find it really hard going to deal with because I like their writing otherwise.

It'll be interesting to see if it catches on in the Republic or if we'll just stick with Tarot cards.

Oh Christ, I remember Dawn Foster's "actually the Catholic Church is good" article.

Spiked - Free speech absolutists whose only other position is "the opposite of whatever the Guardian is banging on about this week".

Quillette - the same as Spiked but in the USA so it's even more sanctimonious about its own wounded self-pity.
Right. Bizarrely the Quillette article was posted on a work chat-channel. If workers in a Californian non-profit are getting cold feet about wokeness maybe the end is in sight

Oh Christ, I remember Dawn Foster's "actually the Catholic Church is good" article.
I honestly find it stressful because she writes so well about the north. I don't know if these people are just becoming catholic for reactionary "I hate internet atheists" reasons (fair, we all do but that'd be a pretty dumb reason) or if they really think that Ireland as a fucking petri-dish for what happens if you give the catholic church complete control didn't answer a few questions.

Right. Bizarrely the Quillette article was posted on a work chat-channel. If workers in a Californian non-profit are getting cold feet about wokeness maybe the end is in sight

Slack was just extended to a MUCH wider audience in my job today, should be interesting to see what happens.

I honestly find it stressful because she writes so well about the north. I don't know if these people are just becoming catholic for reactionary "I hate internet atheists" reasons (fair, we all do but that'd be a pretty dumb reason) or if they really think that Ireland as a fucking petri-dish for what happens if you give the catholic church complete control didn't answer a few questions.

From walking around places in the UK my skimmed observation re the Catholic Church over there is that it's far more cowed and discrete and it knows it's fucking place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back