Minor complaints thread (11 Viewers)

Going on first holiday in 3 years tomorrow. Tap in kitchen decides to start leaking all over the kitchen. Anyone know a very cheap but very good 24 hour plumber?

There doesn't appear to be any way to shut the water off to that tap without turning off the water to the full apartment - and we can't reach that valve without dismantling the shelving in the wc. If I could find the architectural genius who designed this dump I would probaby drown him in the leaking water.

If it was me in your position. First thing I would do is turn off the mains. Usually found under the sink,and often quite awkward to get at.

That should mean that only hot water is coming to the tap.

That means to work on the tap itself you need to stop the supply of hot water. If youvl are very lucky there will be a valve/ tap to do that,most likely in the hot press. But that's rare. So you may have to drain the hot water by turning taps on.

Get the mains off first.

This is the mess behind the shelving in the wc, I think the very bottom tap might turn off the mains

Attachments

• 20190816_231418.jpg
    20190816_231418.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 21
There are a couple of valves there,but I would not be able to suggest where they go to.

There are two beside the white and red pipes and another below.

I would certainly try turning them off.

I don't know if it would have any impact,but if you do manage to turn off the water,you may need to be sure you water heater is off too. I'd imagine there could be potential for it to burn out with no water supply.

It's coming from the kitchen tap itself, the mixer unit seems to be broken and the water is flowing out of the tap unit, rather than out the spout

had that problem here - all caused by an old washer that had corroded and had to be replaced.

I Don't know how the mixer tap works,but there is a chance that it is only one side damaged. if thats the case you just need to turn that side off--hot or cold.

Also if you can get the water stopped you may be able to leave a key with a relative or neighbour and have it fixed when you are away?

I Don't know how the mixer tap works,but there is a chance that it is only one side damaged. if thats the case you just need to turn that side off--hot or cold.

Also if you can get the water stopped you may be able to leave a key with a relative or neighbour and have it fixed when you are away?
Thank you. The tap has a single outlet, and there is a plastic mixing chamber thing inside it, which is what has broken, so it's hot and cold bubbling up through. The build quality on this place is good, but the quality of the fit out is piss poor, the tap was never installed properly (what kind of moron doesn't put an isolation valve on a kitchen tap) and used to move around a lot, it's pretty much always leaked a little. But not so much that its flowing off the draining board until tonight!

We're going to try some of those taps in the wc and see if they do anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back