Bored in Work 892 (1 Viewer)

Dio is reborn

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hi, i'm a stupid arts graduate, please explain what we're laughing at here.

I’m a stupid person who hangs around TCD. Aside from that, I don’t know. Presumably that he applied for Theoretical Physics before taking up Physics at school?

EDIT: Re-Reading the screengrab he applied for a course that required physics and had physics in the name but he wasn’t doing physics, thus showing that he lacks “street smarts” or “common sense”*.

*And the idea of “common sense” goes back to the Middle Ages where they believed that the brain worked like a stomach, taking in the five senses into a common cavity in the brain (the ventricles) which they called the “sensis communis” - here the individual senses were digested in the fluid and turned into thoughts. Misunderstandings mutated the term to mean basic knowledge that should be known to everyone.

I’m a stupid person who hangs around TCD. Aside from that, I don’t know. Presumably that he applied for Theoretical Physics before taking up Physics at school?

EDIT: Re-Reading the screengrab he applied for a course that required physics and had physics in the name but he wasn’t doing physics, thus showing that he lacks “street smarts” or “common sense”*.

Oh.

I'd have assumed if you had decent maths that'd be enough, boy would my face have been red!

*And the idea of “common sense” goes back to the Middle Ages where they believed that the brain worked like a stomach, taking in the five senses into a common cavity in the brain (the ventricles) which they called the “sensis communis” - here the individual senses were digested in the fluid and turned into thoughts. Misunderstandings mutated the term to mean basic knowledge that should be known to everyone.
informative :unsure:

Wow

I've been toying with the idea of doing a history of neuroscience podcast. I started writing notes for a book years ago but never got very far with the actual writing.

to be fair, TCD's 'theoretical physics' is pretty similar to UCD's advanced maths course, but calling it theoretical physics makes it sound fancy.
applied maths at LC level is a much better fit for a requirement.

it was enough in NUIM to do theoretical physics many years ago.
TCD do have a tendency to put on these special courses (Theoretical Physics, Human Genetics, Medicinal Chemistry, etc) as they make them seem more exclusive (only 20 places!) but in reality it’s essentially the regular science degree but you don’t get to choose what subjects you do in first and second year. It inflates the points because of how few places there are and therefore makes it look like only the smartest students go to TCD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back