What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (2 Viewers)

Read Eileen by Ottessa Moshfegh and quite enjoyed it. It's not without its faults but a zippy enough read all the same.
Just starting Marina by Carlos Ruiz Zafon today.

I'm not so sure. She's a very unfriendly author, hugely in your face intellectual but the novels ramble on and on being endlessly delighted with themselves. Genius but an acquired taste, not a natural novelist like some writers are. I think people should be warned before diving into her stuff.

in the last week or so have lapped up Renegade : The Lives And Tales Of Mark E Smith and also The Big Midweek - Life Inside The Fall written by bassist of 20 years Steve Hanley. Both brilliant. Smith's one is hilarious. Hanley's less so but offers a much better, more truthful insight in the goings on of The Fall.

The Thief's Journal by Jean Genet

The Thief's Journal is perhaps Jean Genet's most authentically autobiographical novel; an account of his impoverished travels across 1930s Europe. The narrator is guilty of vagrancy, petty theft and prostitution, but his writing transforms such degradations into an inverted moral code, where criminality and delinquency become heroic. With a holy trinity of his own making - homosexuality, theft and betrayal - in The Thief's Journal Genet produced a startlingly powerful novel without precedent.

I thought this was shite for the most part but I started to warm to it as it went along and was even enjoying it by the time I finished. I found myself regretting skipping over the waffly philosophizing bits even as I carried on skipping them because they were tedious.

I recently read If This is a Man by Primo Levi; his memoir of his experience in Auschwitz. As you'd expect it's a tough read, but it's a very accessible read, and an important book I think to read; amongst many other's I'm sure.
To lighten the mood after that, I read French Exit by Patrick deWitt - a good fun light read, perfect for summer.

All I read is coding books.
All I look at (well, not all, I also look at Chernobyl and Venture Brothers) is fucking PyCon youtube, or VIM tutorials, or category theory. Or maybe chess.

I have a literal pile of books that have been given to me. Self help stuff, thinking stuff, philosophical stuff. Fiction. And I pull out the coding book, or more likely print out, and read that.

Or more likely again nothing and sit out listening to crickets and drinking booze in Trumpistan.

I feel like a cunt for ignoring this. But I also keep ignoring it. I have a suspicion I'm getting old and extra cuntish. I'm over 40 now. I still like tunes and stuff, but am remarkably cuntish.

Is this a theme, or not so much?

edit, does this keep going? Cunt4Life?

Reading sometimes feels like a muscle you have to flex. I read a lot and pretty much always have, but totally went through a period after college/into my MA where I couldn't read anything that wasn't school related, probably lasted about 3 years before I was like, fuck this, I'm forcing myself to read something, I used to use my fucking brain, etc.

Reading sometimes feels like a muscle you have to flex. I read a lot and pretty much always have, but totally went through a period after college/into my MA where I couldn't read anything that wasn't school related, probably lasted about 3 years before I was like, fuck this, I'm forcing myself to read something, I used to use my fucking brain, etc.
Same here. And I went through a not reading at all phase after the kids were born. Back in the swing of it now.

Same here. And I went through a not reading at all phase after the kids were born. Back in the swing of it now.

Same, I'm still nowhere near as fast or prolific as some people I know (I have friends who post stacks of 10-15 books they've read every month), but I'm getting through 4-5 a month now which is a big improvement for me, so YOLO!

I'm reading some short books this week to get my goodreads challenge back on track. I'm only one book behind schedule at the moment, hopefully by Friday I'll have created a little breathing room. I know, I'm only codding myself.

I'm reading some short books this week to get my goodreads challenge back on track. I'm only one book behind schedule at the moment, hopefully by Friday I'll have created a little breathing room. I know, I'm only codding myself.

I'm on 32/60, so 3 behind. I think I'll get it back on track though, I've had some fairly stagnant periods in that.

I generally try and read 50 odd books a year. Goodreads tells me i'm currently 5 books behind getting there right now :cautious:

Doing the maths on how many books that leaves me for the rest of my life is a bit scary.

All I read is coding books.
All I look at (well, not all, I also look at Chernobyl and Venture Brothers) is fucking PyCon youtube, or VIM tutorials, or category theory. Or maybe chess.

I have a literal pile of books that have been given to me. Self help stuff, thinking stuff, philosophical stuff. Fiction. And I pull out the coding book, or more likely print out, and read that.

Or more likely again nothing and sit out listening to crickets and drinking booze in Trumpistan.

I feel like a cunt for ignoring this. But I also keep ignoring it. I have a suspicion I'm getting old and extra cuntish. I'm over 40 now. I still like tunes and stuff, but am remarkably cuntish.

Is this a theme, or not so much?

edit, does this keep going? Cunt4Life?
Join a bookclub? Seriously.

Last edited:
Screenshot 2019-08-06 at 10.23.03.png

picked that up in the Secret Bookstore a while back and just started reading it. I know nothing about reggae so figured it might be interesting to learn. As expected, the early chapters are about how the scene grew from nearly nothing ('soundmen', who were basically DJs, sourcing obscure music from the US, and how merchant navy would bring records back from their travels for them), in the socially deprived areas of Kingston and others towns and cities, to become something that would become ingrained in the cultural identity of the country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back