Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures (1979) (1 Viewer)

I feel like if they'd fuck off with their last 20 years of singles/ballads and just played 30 minute super tight sets i'd be interested in seeing them.

I feel like if they'd fuck off with their last 20 years of singles/ballads and just played 30 minute super tight sets i'd be interested in seeing them.

I doubt I'd be interested even then. They've played here many times since Dalymount (94?) and I haven't ever considered going. Even then they had that arsehole from Jane's Addiction on guitar.

I doubt I'd be interested even then. They've played here many times since Dalymount (94?) and I haven't ever considered going. Even then they had that arsehole from Jane's Addiction on guitar.

I think what I really mean is that I'd like to see a young fruciante and flea wig out for 30 mins in the middle of maybe 4-5 other bands, possibly in my local.

It's a well known story at this point but for the benefit of those who didn't know, this Talking Heads song was apparently written to sound like Joy Division based upon written descriptions of their sound

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

my friend was at a Chilli Peppers / New Order gig at Lansdowne where one
of the RHCP guys came out and played a JD song with New Order.
does this ring a bell ? he couldn't remember what song though...
Frusciante came out and played "Transmission" with them and the RHCP played a short bit of "Blue Monday" during their set (none of New Order joined them).

It's a well known story at this point but for the benefit of those who didn't know, this Talking Heads song was apparently written to sound like Joy Division based upon written descriptions of their sound

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I never knew that, they didn't do a bad job!

Frusciante came out and played "Transmission" with them and the RHCP played a short bit of "Blue Monday" during their set (none of New Order joined them).

I never knew that, they didn't do a bad job!
cheers Cornu, you'd think even my pal would recognize Transmission !

yeah L.M. - TALKING HEADS did a JOY DIVISION influenced tune based
only on reviews without having heard any of JD's music.
Good attempt alright - reminds me a bit of 'The Eternal'.

also remembered the first Sunstroke gig at Dalymount from 1993:
went to my first gig to see SONIC YOUTH and SUGAR (w/ Bob Mould).
also DISPOSABLE HEROES OF HIPHOPRISY, BELLY and GOLDEN HORDE
played (plus maybe others ?)
FAITH NO MORE replaced the original headliners - yep, you guessed it -
RHCP had cancelled. dodged a bullet there !

my brother was delighted, he's still a FNM fan.
i got my FNM slipmat off him.

that happened me twice.

once in the phoenix park when they were 'supported' by the Pixies. I left after 2 RHCP songs.

That's was the one that turned me off big gigs for life, well so far anyway. I went to see the pixies. I like RHCP but they were massive overexposed a few years ago & I'm still not over it.

That's was the one that turned me off big gigs for life, well so far anyway. I went to see the pixies. I like RHCP but they were massive overexposed a few years ago & I'm still not over it.

What I remember the most about that gig was the epic walk to get from the entrance of the park to the enrance to the venue.

Also just remembered being second in a row behind the barriers behind this girl. When The Pixies were playing I could feel the crowd surging so put my arm through her and the person beside her to stop myself getting pushed into her, and have her get squashed into the barrier. Immediately she started elbowing my arm, obviously thinking I was rying to rob her prized spot. I explained to he what I was trying to accomplish but she kept on elbowing away. Once it got too sore I had to pull my arm away. Sure enough, two seconds later she was screaming saying she was getting crushed and got carried out. Absolute dope.

What I remember the most about that gig was the epic walk to get from the entrance of the park to the enrance to the venue.

Also just remembered being second in a row behind the barriers behind this girl. When The Pixies were playing I could feel the crowd surging so put my arm through her and the person beside her to stop myself getting pushed into her, and have her get squashed into the barrier. Immediately she started elbowing my arm, obviously thinking I was rying to rob her prized spot. I explained to he what I was trying to accomplish but she kept on elbowing away. Once it got too sore I had to pull my arm away. Sure enough, two seconds later she was screaming saying she was getting crushed and got carried out. Absolute dope.
ha ha, the dope

My musings.....for what its worth.

Disorder
I really like this one. There’s a few out of key notes on the bass when he plays the lower fills behind the guitar melody, but hey…. Good opener though. The drum sound is limp, but didn’t most of the punk/new wave/post punk recordings around that time have crappy drum sounds? Maybe it was a reaction to the big, bombastic drums of the classic rock bands. Cool tardis like sound effects swirl around in the background…. although they get a bit overpowering near the end.

Day of the Lords
Another good track. I like the guitar on this. I hear a doors influence in the vocals. Love the atmosphere. Massive reverb always creates instant atmosphere. The high keyboard line during the chorus is a nice touch. I like the “where will it end” refrain.

Candidate
I like the bass line. Its not the trademark hooky bassline. Cool groaning atmospheric sound effects in the background. Song is okay. Short, but not very memorable.

Insight
Break out the disco toms. The Laser gun interlude has me thinking of a battle in a cheap sci-fi film. Song is okay.

New Dawn Fades
Some nice clean guitar parts in this. Some of the single note riffs remind me of early Black Sabbath. Sumner is a better guitar player than I remembered. I like the overall groove. Good vocal from Curtis. The performances on some of the other tracks can sound a bit unsure, but the band sounds really confident on this song.

She’s Lost Control
The trademark hooky bass line in full effect, it can get a bit annoying tbh. The electro drum sounds add something different. The guitar riff & bassline during the verses sound very disconnected & don’t really work together until they play the same parts. The booming baritone vocal sounds good but the music sounds kind of unsteady. One of their best known songs, in hindsight it’s just okay. It probably needed more work to get the right take.

Shadowplay
Another song they hit their stride on. Its sounds confident. I love the opening lines. Again Curtis voice is there. Good guitar sound. It’s just at the point of feedback. There’s almost a blues rock guitar lick in there.

Wilderness
I like the slides on the bass, but musically it’s a bit muddled. I like the guitar chord stabs.

Interzone
Surprisingly traditional hard rock guitar riff on this one. Reminds me a bit of the Stooges. The multi tracked vocal is a different approach for JD. It’s a bit meat & potatoes for them. Probably the weakest song on the album.

I Remember Nothing
The vocals are a bit pitchy as they say on the x factor. I hear echoes of the end by the doors in this. I like the spooky atmosphere & the crashing sounds. The sustaining keyboard note, adds tension. The ending sounds bleak, futuristic ,dystopian (finally an opportunity to use that word) It fairness to Martin Hannett, his production helps to lift this album out of the ordinary.

NOLAN PORTER - "Keep On Keepin' On"
www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbKCWBTgTR8

this soul classic is the basis of 'Interzone' (same guitar riff)
and doesn't sound like any other of their songs.

for reasons I never understood someone at RCA in
Manchester was looking for a band to record a version of
Keep On Keepin' On. J.D. were recommended and this
led to them recording the Warsaw demo for RCA (May 1978)
their failed attempts to cut a version of the song
mutated into 'Interzone'

yeah, Prefuse it does sound like the STOOGES.

KEEP ON KEEPIN' ON is one of my favourite slogans:
Don't give up - if it ain't broke don't break it !

also the drums have been mentioned a lot here:
the drums on the Peel Session from early 1979 sound HUGE
but Martin Hannett thought he knew best and apparently
insisted on Steve Morris recording every drum separately....
yes, as in one drum at a time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back