The 'Bands I don't Get' thread (4 Viewers)

Guided by Voices. A mixed bag for sure. Certainly not the best band from Dayton, Ohio, that's for sure...

Remember getting a decent GBV comp from Nnnggglbbbth or Analogue Bathtub who seems to have vanished on here.

Had an absolute cracker of a tune called 'James Gang' on it with the winsome leading lyric, "my name is James, and fighting is what I am."

He also sent me an ace Felt comp.

Anyway, back on topic. The Flaming Lips. Picked up The Terror for two quid recently. Some half-dead [or decent] tunes, but it's like a boring Oneida. Sorry.

A thumpeder who no longer posts here sent me a GBV comp back in 2004 or so also and that was the thing that sent me down the rabbit-hole. Are you sure it was nnnnggggglllbbth? The CD I got was a comp with a hand-written track-listing. When I explored them more I discovered that a lot of it was obscure b-sides etc. I was painting the gaff at the time and just stuck it on repeat. It took a while but it gradually wormed its way into my head. Coincidently ... Pollard was slagging Flaming Lips in London last week.

Cornu - not sure what I would advise listening to to change your mind. I usually tell people to try the Best Of (Human Amusements). Or Propellor. The discography is so vast now that it's pretty daunting. I totally get why people don't get them (does that make even make sense?). Maybe check this out ...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

From what I can tell GBV do one thing and they do it very well and in excess.

The best way I can put it is: Repressed men allowing themselves to be vulnerable for a brief moment before getting back to telling you to toughen up.

I like em, although I rarely put them on.

A thumpeder who no longer posts here sent me a GBV comp back in 2004 or so also and that was the thing that sent me down the rabbit-hole. Are you sure it was nnnnggggglllbbth? The CD I got was a comp with a hand-written track-listing. When I explored them more I discovered that a lot of it was obscure b-sides etc. I was painting the gaff at the time and just stuck it on repeat. It took a while but it gradually wormed its way into my head. Coincidently ... Pollard was slagging Flaming Lips in London last week.

Cornu - not sure what I would advise listening to to change your mind. I usually tell people to try the Best Of (Human Amusements). Or Propellor. The discography is so vast now that it's pretty daunting. I totally get why people don't get them (does that make even make sense?). Maybe check this out ...

Nice one @hugh. Would love to see a tracklist of that CD! Human Amusements is certainly a brilliant compilation. I often feel their earlier stuff is overlooked a bit. A friend gave me a tape of An Earful O'Wax years ago and I played the bejaysus out of it constantly for years. I know some people had them written off as a cut-price REM in their early days, but the tunes are deadly.

Someone has conveniently made a playlist of it here:

@Cornu Ammonis I think VBP do a pretty good distillation of what is great about GBV - maybe go and see them the next time they play (which hopefully won't be before too long, eh?!)

These are a few of my favourite GBV tunes. Off the top of my head, there are tons more!

Yeah hoping for a Galway date on the Girl Band tour. I was pretty lucky with them in that I just walked into the pub and they were on and I'd no notion who or what they were and they won me over. I think if I was hearing about them now I'd assume them to be pricks for a least a year.

Yeah hoping for a Galway date on the Girl Band tour. I was pretty lucky with them in that I just walked into the pub and they were on and I'd no notion who or what they were and they won me over. I think if I was hearing about them now I'd assume them to be pricks for a least a year.

A few of my mates just happened to see them in Joe Lee's pub in Tullamore 1 night and said they were amazing, that's how i heard about them.

Have Girl Band changed much since, uh, 2014, last time I saw them? Back then they were grand but to my ears hiding an awful lot of not much behind a lot of guitar freakoutery. I suppose you could say there were a band I did not get.

A few of my mates just happened to see them in Joe Lee's pub in Tullamore 1 night and said they were amazing, that's how i heard about them.
I saw them in the States and they were already very big in Ireland and clearly used to a certain level of adoration and came on stage with a swagger, played the first song and got a "yeah, so what" response from the Tuesday night crowd. The six overexcited Paddies yelping between songs made it even more cringe-inducing. They had to work that night, and to be fair they did drop the attitude and buck up after a few tunes.

2 and a half stars.

Have Girl Band changed much since, uh, 2014, last time I saw them? Back then they were grand but to my ears hiding an awful lot of not much behind a lot of guitar freakoutery. I suppose you could say there were a band I did not get.

I don't know. I think it's been a few years since they brought anything out. I enjoyed that album though.

I saw them in the States and they were already very big in Ireland and clearly used to a certain level of adoration and came on stage with a swagger, played the first song and got a "yeah, so what" response from the Tuesday night crowd. The six overexcited Paddies yelping between songs made it even more cringe-inducing. They had to work that night, and to be fair they did drop the attitude and buck up after a few tunes.

2 and a half stars.

Maybe a big part of it is that Irish audiences aren't used to Irish bands sounding like that. Whereas their sort of thing would be a lot more common in America.

I think this is accurate. I know a fair few people who were mad about them but probably aren't big Jesus Lizard fans.

I think I'm coming at them from the old guy view of "I like them, they kind of remind me of the Jesus Lizard."

I think it might be the same for people who like Fontaines DC, I don't know if any young people listen to them, it seems to be people my age or older.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back