The 'Bands I don't Get' thread (5 Viewers)

It's not fair on GBV but they were introduced to me by someone i had a not very good break up with and they forever inhabit that synaptic hive in my brain.

I went out of my way to catch GBV at Primavera, only to discover yet again that I am unmoved by their efforts. Left me free to spend a load of time at Carcass, so now I've got that to hold against them as well.

I went out of my way to catch GBV at Primavera, only to discover yet again that I am unmoved by their efforts. Left me free to spend a load of time at Carcass, so now I've got that to hold against them as well.
I hope you’re not slagging carcass.

Guided by Voices. A mixed bag for sure. Certainly not the best band from Dayton, Ohio, that's for sure...

Remember getting a decent GBV comp from Nnnggglbbbth or Analogue Bathtub who seems to have vanished on here.

Had an absolute cracker of a tune called 'James Gang' on it with the winsome leading lyric, "my name is James, and fighting is what I am."

He also sent me an ace Felt comp.

Anyway, back on topic. The Flaming Lips. Picked up The Terror for two quid recently. Some half-dead [or decent] tunes, but it's like a boring Oneida. Sorry.

Their first couple of singles are amazing, some of the best music ever. Everything else? No thanks. David Thomas sounds kind of like a Jim Henson creation which doesn’t help.
Just in case you haven’t heard these songs, take 15 minutes or so to listen to these and then know you’ve heard everything you need to by Pere Ubu.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

i have a thing i call THE PRIME DIRECTIVE * :

basically i try to avoid saying people's music is crap at all costs.
i do break the rule sometimes but it's fairly rare.

it's so subjective whether you like something or not.

i reckon it's OK to praise a band and criticize their lesser
work in the same post.
but just posting to say THIS IS TERRIBLE seems like a waste of time.

if i posted THIS IS CRAP MUSIC every time i saw something
i didn't like i'd have done another 15,000 plus posts here.

even if i'm at a gig and i see a mediocre band i'll give 'em a clap
out of respect for making the effort.
(very few bands i've ever paid to see are making a full time living
off music).

and yes - i did a post yesterday where i said very few bands on big
indie labels in recent decades were any good which is vague enough
to get a PRIME DIRECTIVE pass.

the PRIME DIRECTIVE only applies to music.
doesn't apply to TV shows, movies, politicians, Cristiano Ronaldo or Neymar etc.

* on Star Trek they had a rule called the Prime Directive which
didn't allow the Enterprise crew to interfere with primitive cultures on planets
they encountered but inevitably sometimes/regularly they did....

basically i try to avoid saying people's music is crap at all costs.
it's so subjective whether you like something or not.
This thread is nice though, while it's an admission that the poster 'just doesn't get' a band, it also acknowledges that they are widely 'got' and does not place 'getting got' at the feet of the band. I think the poster admits fault.

This thread is nice though, while it's an admission that the poster 'just doesn't get' a band, it also acknowledges that they are widely 'got' and does not place 'getting got' at the feet of the band. I think the poster admits fault.

OK fair point, now I get it !
This thread is a safe space for NOT GETTING bands.

still think what i described above is a waste of time but not so relevant to this thread alright.

i wanted to defend some bands that are people are 'not getting' but i'll let it go....

i wanted to defend some bands that are people are 'not getting' but i'll let it go....
Go for it, part of the magic of this thread is being converted or at least getting a good alternative view of an artist you don’t get. I was half-hoping that someone would post a GBV video and say “Have you heard this?” and blowing my mind.

I’m grand for Pere Ubu though, I had the Data Panic CD box set, Terminal Tower and Cloudland and aside from the songs I posted above, they’re not for me.

first four UBU 7"S are great as is Modern Dance.
after that is disappointing esp. late 80-early 90's era which is sooo bland.
i don't own any stuff from last twenty years but i like everything i've heard from that time.
which is probably about a dozen to fifteen songs.

first two Carcass albums are great especially 'Reek Of ...'
- very influential on bands i like.

have heard bands do that style better than Carcass
e.g. REGURGITATE 92-96 era.

OK that's enough 'defending' bands i got to watch the real thing -
Virgil van Dijk is coming on in a minute.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back