Jaysus cycling! (8 Viewers)

Second week, had to take the car one day because I'd big things to carry. Took a flight though so I've completely wiped out the value of the whole exercise. Also a comedy run-in with a taxi driver, featuring 'what country are you from'.

Third week. Drove in total about 30km, the rest was bike or transport.

Did two hours with the chainsaw on sunday which probably nixxed the whole week.

Legs are getting slightly weary, though i'm getting progressively faster almost by the day.

people are having a go at this cyclist even though the driver is indisputably in the wrong

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Second week, had to take the car one day because I'd big things to carry. Took a flight though so I've completely wiped out the value of the whole exercise. Also a comedy run-in with a taxi driver, featuring 'what country are you from'.

Third week. Had to drive to the north west at the weekend and actually had to jump start the car because it had been used so little. Mid last week was peak sore legs though its all becoming habitual at this point. Buying petrol feels really weird.

Met police writes letter asking if the owner was driving the day in question.

That is a ridiculousness response to the BMW hitting the cyclist.

pretty sure if you're in a car and they're on a bike you can't get charged with anything. (Cycling bikes is a clear implication of poorness.)

Plus, you know, B'mer. It's more or less expected.

Met police writes letter asking if the owner was driving the day in question.

That is a ridiculousness response to the BMW hitting the cyclist.

I definitely think of this scene on the cycle to work.

this was a French cyclist called Chantal Mathevet.
she crashed going down the ramp at a Gran Fondo
event in Italy last year and DNF.
at 70 she was competing in the over 65 age category.

I've seen this happen a few times...

Has anyone converted their regular bike with an electric kit, hub or mid mount?

Haven't done one but we get a fair few into the workshop. They do stress the bikes a bit as it's all a bit heavier in different places than designed for. If it's an older/cheaper bike then go for it, if it's your bae then I'd recommend no.

a friend of mine did that. Found he had too many problems with parts going, wearing out components, etc, so decided to go back to a conventional road bike.
They're mad popular out in the US at the moment.

It's wild. I'm spinning along on an old race bike, and I can see an aul fella off in the distance, so I start trying to reel him in because... of, like ego and failed ambitions and so on.
So I'm watching the bastard, and he's perched up there, cruising, and I cannot close the gap, he's just sitting 50m off in front. I'm starting to squeeze in to a TT position, pushing out as many watts as my stupid legs can still push, praying for a hill (since it's become personal now) and I'm *gradually* pulling him back.

Finally I catch up with him. Sure enough, basket on the front, big ol tyres, perched up in the wind on his squishy saddle and I'm fucking just sitting in behind him hoping he's not going to notice because I'm about to start seeing wobbly. I'm looking at the lump of the bike, and marvelling at the ferocious wattage the lad must be putting out, until it slowly dawns on me that it's electric.

But yeah, I think it's still new enough that they're working out some of the details still. They have to generate some amount of power though, and that power has to get transmitted through essentially normal bike components. Power is power. Armstrong at his peak was going through a chain a week or something in training. His whole drivetrain was as disposable as brake pads or something.

They're mad popular out in the US at the moment.

It's wild. I'm spinning along on an old race bike, and I can see an aul fella off in the distance, so I start trying to reel him in because... of, like ego and failed ambitions and so on.
So I'm watching the bastard, and he's perched up there, cruising, and I cannot close the gap, he's just sitting 50m off in front. I'm starting to squeeze in to a TT position, pushing out as many watts as my stupid legs can still push, praying for a hill (since it's become personal now) and I'm *gradually* pulling him back.

Finally I catch up with him. Sure enough, basket on the front, big ol tyres, perched up in the wind on his squishy saddle and I'm fucking just sitting in behind him hoping he's not going to notice because I'm about to start seeing wobbly. I'm looking at the lump of the bike, and marvelling at the ferocious wattage the lad must be putting out, until it slowly dawns on me that it's electric.

But yeah, I think it's still new enough that they're working out some of the details still. They have to generate some amount of power though, and that power has to get transmitted through essentially normal bike components. Power is power. Armstrong at his peak was going through a chain a week or something in training. His whole drivetrain was as disposable as brake pads or something.
the speeds are limited here, legally, to 25km. At 25km, assistance cuts out and you're on your own. From what I can gather it's easy to disable the limiter and I've seen lads in suits tearing up the cycle lanes at 45km/h while I'm trying to pull away from lights like a snail.

I'm all for the idea of the limited ones. Anyone that disables the limiter can stay the fuck away from me. Pricks.

the speeds are limited here, legally, to 25km. At 25km, assistance cuts out and you're on your own. From what I can gather it's easy to disable the limiter and I've seen lads in suits tearing up the cycle lanes at 45km/h while I'm trying to pull away from lights like a snail.

I'm all for the idea of the limited ones. Anyone that disables the limiter can stay the fuck away from me. Pricks.

On the other side the lads who ride electric bikes don;t care about aerodynamics, meaning if you actually manage to get in behind them it's like following a bus. You can sit up and freewheel along at 40km/h or something.

I mean, I'd not like to get hit by one of them if I was a pedestrian. That would probably hurt.

They have numberplates on them in the netherlands.
all e-bikes? or un-regulated ones?

The big problem here is there's no real law governing the unregulated ones. Like, I'm sure people would be willing to pay something in tax and insurance (I'd imagine the cost would be low), but it's not possible. If they do bring in something like that, I don't want anything unregulated to be allowed into the cycle lanes. It's too dangerous.

Same with those e-scooters. There's a place for them on the road, just not in the cycle lanes.

all e-bikes? or un-regulated ones?

The big problem here is there's no real law governing the unregulated ones. Like, I'm sure people would be willing to pay something in tax and insurance (I'd imagine the cost would be low), but it's not possible. If they do bring in something like that, I don't want anything unregulated to be allowed into the cycle lanes. It's too dangerous.

Same with those e-scooters. There's a place for them on the road, just not in the cycle lanes.

It seemed to be all - also scooters and mopeds use a lot ((not all) of the cycle lanes in the netherlands, just at a limit around 25kmh i think. HOWEVER. they don't drive/cycle like dicks mostly so its grand. all the electrics i saw in netherlands were factory builds rather than after market ones. obviously al cultural difference, we don't have the education in place here to just be handing out fast bikes. I assume dublin is the same as galway in that the deliveroos are starting to go electric? One of the ones around here is just asking to get in a accident. He's never not doing something slightly stupid.

It seemed to be all - also scooters and mopeds use a lot ((not all) of the cycle lanes in the netherlands, just at a limit around 25kmh i think. HOWEVER. they don't drive/cycle like dicks mostly so its grand. all the electrics i saw in netherlands were factory builds rather than after market ones. obviously al cultural difference, we don't have the education in place here to just be handing out fast bikes. I assume dublin is the same as galway in that the deliveroos are starting to go electric? One of the ones around here is just asking to get in a accident. He's never not doing something slightly stupid.
yep on the deliveroos. But I've only seen them on speed-limited bikes and have had absolutely no problems with any of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

• pete
  • M
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back