Running? (1 Viewer)

I don't believe runners make a whole load of difference to knee trouble for me. I bought the most expensive Mizunos and made no difference,in fact they may well have exacerbated the problem because they are so comfortable and fancy you feel like running further! . Too much too soon is what fucks my knees up. Slow and steady..thats how I need to roll. Auld lad stryle

Roll being the operative word at the minute cos I'm all fat again

I was running 50k a week, one week I did 60 and my knee has been wrecked ever since. Physio says it's not permanent and diagnosed a sprained knee. Taking a *long* time to bring it back, but it's slowly getting there.

Anyway, MORAL is don't over do it, stretch after like a mo-fo (definitely worth getting a foam roller), and consider doing sit down squats etc on non running days to build up the muscles around the knee,

My problem is I’ve never done any exercise. Ever. Basically I’ve no lung capacity, so can’t run for very long before I have to stop anyway, then wait a couple of minutes, then start again. I’m not exactly breaking any distance records, like. The knee thing is just the ridiculous icing on top.

ran 6km to Marvin Gaye's What's Going On yesterday. Jesus, what tunes to run to. I was gliding through the air like the coolest fucker around. some great extended mixes on the deluxe version on spotify.

@pete instead of running, what about swimming or an exercise bike for getting your heart/lung capacity up? Low impact on the knees too.

I ended up rupturing a disc in my back a couple of years ago. The running was going great, but has entirely stopped. The injury is under control, and I'm able for most stuff but I can't really run just now. I'm hoping I'll be able to go back to it at some point in the near-ish future. Got a huge amount of disciplined physio to do between now and then, which I'm not in a position to do at the moment.

I've tried running a few times and have ultimately switched to swimming and cycling, it just does't seem worth it and its too much cardio for me anyway. Swimming on the other hand is going great.

@pete instead of running, what about swimming or an exercise bike for getting your heart/lung capacity up? Low impact on the knees too.

I ended up rupturing a disc in my back a couple of years ago. The running was going great, but has entirely stopped. The injury is under control, and I'm able for most stuff but I can't really run just now. I'm hoping I'll be able to go back to it at some point in the near-ish future. Got a huge amount of disciplined physio to do between now and then, which I'm not in a position to do at the moment.
Yeah I need to do something. Eating less would probably be a good start.

Skipping (with a skipping rope like) is what got me fit @pete It's not as hard on the knees or feet as running, I've found, and if you stick on some tunes REALLY LOUD and skip along in time I think it's about the funnest exercise you can do (apart from dancing or riding, like)

I've actually been following a couch to 5k thing since the start of January, was simple (ish) for the first few weeks because I generally go for a short run a few times a week anyway, but it's getting into proper tough territory now - actually pushing myself to go for longer which I haven't really done in a year or two. I did apparently run 5k today without stopping, a 25 minute run, which is nice. I don't think i've ever done that before. I'm sure i'll get an injury soon and @ann post will gloat but still, NOT BAD.

Ultra-marathons here I come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back